Visconti Wall Street LE - review

goodguy

Visconti is very fast becoming a big favorite pen seller in the pen world.

Visconti does have the tendency to make quit a lot of LE pens but the good thing about them is that many are affordable.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01167.jpg

I had my share of LE and non LE Visconti and they were all good writers.

But there is one pen I wanted to get but somehow I always postponed buying.

And that pen is the Wall Street LE.

The WS is made is 2 basic versions.

The regular model has a metal section and is using a standard CC filler.

The LE has a self fillng mechanism, a celluloid section and a very good ink view window.

The LE was made in 4 different colours and each colour was made in 4000 numbers.

This pen has the red celluloid.

I love this pen because of few reasons which I will name throughout this review.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01169.jpg

First of all and most noticeably is the resin the pen is made of.

I love the Parker Vacumatic like celluloid.

It gives the pen such a classic vintage look and for me its the pens most important feature.

This is quit a long pen but not too wide which to me gives the pen a very comfortable and neutral feel in the hand.

The pen is using Viscinti's famous Double Reservoir Vacuum filling mechanism.

This is the second pen I own that uses this system (Romanica) and I still don't exactly get why did they made it.

It works fine but just over complicate a rather good filling system.

You unscrew the back cap and pull the rod all the way out. Then dip the nib in ink and push the ron back in.

A vaccum is created in the chamber and the ink is sucked into the barrel.

You screw the bottom cap back and viola you are done AARrrrrr actually you are not done. You use the pen until you run out of ink and then unscrew the back cup and pull on it slightly.

The cap will move few millimeters and fresh ink will pore from the second chamber to the first one

So does it work well ?

Well yes but why make this system at the first place is beyond me.

Its very gimmicky/gadgety but I rather have the simpler vacuum system I have on my Visconti Divine Proportions.

In any case this really is not a big deal and sometime if I'm in the right mood even fun.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01172.jpg

Most of Visconti LE pens come with the same two tone 18k bock made nibs and I am glad they do because I know exactly what to expect and I love these nibs.

They are not very flexible, but are very smooth with good feedback.

Not exactly an Omas nib but still an excellent one which makes this pen an excellent everyday user.

The overall quality of the pen is good and impressive even though it feels to me like the Romanica is slightly better made. Then again the Romanica Cost few times more then the WS LE.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/DSC01175.jpg

Conclusion

This is a very good everyday pen.

It is not heavy, very comfortable in the hand, has Visconti standard nib which performs superbly. Has a very good even if slightly over complex filling mechanism, has a nice large ink view window, holds a large amount of ink and has a nice combination of modern and vintage design to it.

And the best of all this is an LE pen that today you can get of ebay in less then half the retail price.

This pen is an excellent package for what I consider a very reasonable price.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• Deirdre

• eric47

• georges zaslavsky

What a lovely pen. Visconti did their stacked celluloid perfectly, at least IMHO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030256.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030242.jpg

I still am searching for a red Manhattan to complete the set and a red Rebecca Moss to fill out that set.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030220.jpg

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

I've had every color (for both LE editions) except the red you've reviewed. I'd love to get my hands on a Copernicus in that color (because of the gold trim, especially).

Personally, I only think that the double reservoir is "gadgety" if you have a broad or stub nib, because the lower chamber tends to empty rather quickly. For a fine nib, it's, well ... "fine." :)

What a lovely pen. Visconti did their stacked celluloid perfectly, at least IMHO.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030256.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030242.jpg

I still am searching for a red Manhattan to complete the set and a red Rebecca Moss to fill out that set.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/bugmd/Pens/P1030220.jpg

Wow now those are beautiful!!!

Respect to all

I love the Parker Vacumatic like resin.

Just to highlight a point made already by bugmd, the pen is made of celluloid, not resin.

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Just to highlight a point made already by bugmd, the pen is made of celluloid, not resin.

Thank you for the correction :)

I have edited my review.

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

Nice review Amir and congratulations on the new pen.

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

Thank you for the correction :)

I have edited my review.

No problem, but the first sentence needs correction as well. The Visconti is also made of celluloid. So don't leave it on the dashboard of your Alfa on a summer's day. :)

Edited by eric47

Anyone becomes mannered if you think too much about what other people think. (Kim Gordon)

Lovely pen and the recent prices on eBay make them a steal (I think the lowest I saw was $250 but ov course, the one with a stub went for $400).

I think the red is the best looking of the bunch, closely followed by the blue.

Sylophiles did a nice review...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I had the opportunity to buy one some months ago but I was reluctant because of the nib, the fragility of the filling system and because I wasn't sure of the visconti after sales service. Looks like I will have to think about a visconti wall street, hoping it doesn't give me troubles.

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

You might want to wait until after the switchover to Coles confusion is over. Kurt H just posted a horror tale on Pentrace about his pen that's been away for more than six months for a repair.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

You might want to wait until after the switchover to Coles confusion is over. Kurt H just posted a horror tale on Pentrace about his pen that's been away for more than six months for a repair.

Isn't Georges in Europe? If so, I suspect he would probably deal directly with the mothership. In terms of raw speed, it's been hit and miss with Visconti Italy. Nib swaps, adjustments are usually taken care of within a week. Pens requiring nib repair (stretched collar, friction fit not holding) a little longer, a 2-3 weeks -- both sent in at the same time. About that long too for flow adjustment on a Ragtime glass nib -- they warned me in advanced that it would take longer because the glass nibs are trickier to deal with.

I've seen longer, about 5 months for what was a practically a rebuild of a Voyager Anniversary double-reservoir. I bought it at a shop for a song in horrendous condition -- oxidation on the plunger staff and stylograph, rust on the clip spring, etc. They repaired it all under warranty. I only paid for shipping, so I didn't mind the delay.

Edited by eric47

Isn't Georges in Europe? If so, I suspect he would probably deal directly with the mothership. In terms of raw speed, it's been hit and miss with Visconti Italy. Nib swaps, adjustments are usually taken care of within a week. Pens requiring nib repair (stretched collar, friction fit not holding) a little longer, a 2-3 weeks -- both sent in at the same time. About that long too for flow adjustment on a Ragtime glass nib -- they warned me in advanced that it would take longer because the glass nibs are trickier to deal with.

I've seen longer, about 5 months for what was a practically a rebuild of a Voyager Anniversary double-reservoir. I bought it at a shop for a song in horrendous condition -- oxidation on the plunger staff and stylograph, rust on the clip spring, etc. They repaired it all under warranty. I only paid for shipping, so I didn't mind the delay.

thanks for the note and the information, I will take care of these parameters for my purchase.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Kurt having a horror story? So unlike him!

My WS LE is a blue; my favourite is the green, but I just couldn't find one. It is a very hefty pen, but I agree with Amir, a delight to use and hold, surpassed in my opinion, only by my Opera Master demo which is my favourite Visconti (although I'm rather fond of the Voyager too)...

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Great review. Thanks! I'm looking forward to picking up a LE Wall Street in the next year.

Regarding Visconti's Double Reservoir filling system, I have found it to be a dream when traveling by air. I can dump all the ink into the back/main reservoir, leaving nothing to spritz out of the nib during the flight, but still leaving me with a pen full of ink ready to use at a moment's notice (including on the flight if I want to let ink flow into the front reservoir for awhile). It's an incredibly convenient system for frequent travelers.

What do you think of the balance of this pen? I tried out an Opera Master Demo a while ago and found that the weight of the filler knob at the very back of the pen made it feel unwieldy to me, but then the knob on those is metal.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

What do you think of the balance of this pen? I tried out an Opera Master Demo a while ago and found that the weight of the filler knob at the very back of the pen made it feel unwieldy to me, but then the knob on those is metal.

The pen is a bit buttom heavy which I find very comfortable BUT remember I collect MB WE pens and most of these pens balancew is bottom heavy due to the brass piston so I am used to such pens and they feel natural to me.

Respect to all

Great review and a top quality pen.

I've got one in grey. I find it well balanced, but a little heavy for longer writing sessions.

I used it just a few times and distaster happened. Closing the pen cap, I must have tilted the nib a liitle and forced it to close. The result was a bent nib tips (and almost a heart attack).

Thank god for My John Sorowka in the UK who saved my Wall Street - Many thanks...

Although, have you guys noticed if your pens capped and fully closed aligh perfectly. It has been said that many of then do not. Mine doesn't.

Cheers,

Miguel

Although, have you guys noticed if your pens capped and fully closed aligh perfectly. It has been said that many of then do not. Mine doesn't.

Even if it does now, be assured it won't always be that way. It was fixed in the Elements series and the Divina/Divine series, but not in time for the Wall Street and Opera pens.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse