Golden Symphony or the Envoy

jar

I have a truly NOS Eversharp pen and pencil set. The outside of the case shows a little scuffing but the inside is near perfect. The pen and pencil were still in the original cellophane sleeves however the sleeve for the pen fell apart when I took the pen out to examine it. Amazingly, the sac in the pen is still supple and elastic. They are stamped 1/10 14K YGF on the banding of the pen.

http://www.fototime.com/11C13B3B4B973C8/standard.jpg

The fountain pen cap is a slip type, and the nib seems pretty flexible.

I have seen similar sets with the squared off cap over the eraser identified as a "Golden Symphony" and also ads that show a very similar pen but where the cap on the pencil erasure is more rounded and domed listed as "The Envoy".

Regardless, it is a nice set from near the end of Eversharp's run but I would love to know more. All of the regular Symphony pens I've run across have had screw caps, not slip on ones.

Were the Envoy and Golden Symphony two different models or more marketing over time? Is this one of the early Golden Symphonies and if so, what was the approximate dates? Maybe 1948 or so?

My Website

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Wahlnut

• ihimlen

I have a truly NOS Eversharp pen and pencil set. The outside of the case shows a little scuffing but the inside is near perfect. The pen and pencil were still in the original cellophane sleeves however the sleeve for the pen fell apart when I took the pen out to examine it. Amazingly, the sac in the pen is still supple and elastic. They are stamped 1/10 14K YGF on the banding of the pen.

I have seen similar sets with the squared off cap over the eraser identified as a "Golden Symphony" and also ads that show a very similar pen but where the cap on the pencil erasure is more rounded and domed listed as "The Envoy".

Regardless, it is a nice set from near the end of Eversharp's run but I would love to know more. All of the regular Symphony pens I've run across have had screw caps, not slip on ones.

Were the Envoy and Golden Symphony two different models or more marketing over time? Is this one of the early Golden Symphonies and if so, what was the approximate dates? Maybe 1948 or so?

This is Eversharp Envoy - apparently one of the last quality pens made by Wahl-Eversharp before it was taken over by Parker (the last quality pen was Slim Ventura). There is surprisingly little information on these pens (i.e. envoy) but I'd say they'll fit in the 1948 - 1953 time frame. I think they came after the Symphony and before Ventura but don't take my word for it.

Also, it looks like very few of these pens were actually made - they are rather difficult to come by in the wild ;-) I reckon Syd may have some more info on Envoys so I'll be watching for more replies in this topic.

Take care

i.

ihimlen

www.opiorach.blogspot.com

www.forumopiorach.net

This is Eversharp Envoy - apparently one of the last quality pens made by Wahl-Eversharp before it was taken over by Parker (the last quality pen was Slim Ventura). There is surprisingly little information on these pens (i.e. envoy) but I'd say they'll fit in the 1948 - 1953 time frame. I think they came after the Symphony and before Ventura but don't take my word for it.

Also, it looks like very few of these pens were actually made - they are rather difficult to come by in the wild ;-) I reckon Syd may have some more info on Envoys so I'll be watching for more replies in this topic.

Take care

i.

Thanks. It is a nice pen set and I hope someone here has more information.

My Website

There was a spell between the Symphony Pen and the Ventura Pen where the crystal ball is admittedly fuzzy, but given the shape and the material of the box here, the shape and size of the pen, as well as a reference to this pen By Cliff Lawrence describing it as the Eversharp Envoy, I think Ihlmien is right on this one. If that is, it was made in about 1948. The Venturas and the Burps were from a few years later. Strangely, there are magazine ads from 1953 that show Slim Venturas, and Star Reporter pens on the same page with what looks like (is) a carried forward Loewy design Symphony pen labeled as a "Senior Size Ventura". Go figger!

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

Thanks Syd. I did come across this advertisement somewhere...

http://www.fototime.com/5155B201A1982DD/orig.jpg

showing the Envoy set, but notice the cap over the eraser on the pencil and how rounded it is vs the cap on the pencil on this set which is very flat at the top.

The ad looks to be from either 1946 or 1948 but the copyright is hard to make out.

Edited by jar

My Website

I have that same original ad here and it is 1948

Syd

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

I have that same original ad here and it is 1948

Syd

Thanks.

Does that help though with the difference in the cap shape over the eraser? Since the Golden Symphony IIRC had the flat cap for the eraser, would that place this sample as before 1948?

My Website