Soennecken Information

Jimmy

There must be some Soennecken connoisseurs here. Should it be possible to get some explanations about Soennecken's references ? Are they related to the pen sizes, for example ? I have just bought a 110 wartime pen (not yet received), I was wondering about postwar other models, 111, 116, 222... Which are the more interesting models to search for ?

I've not found much information, apart from a Rick Conner's article, Gehaha's reviews here or an italian website (but I don't speak italian). Could anybody provide interesting links about the brand ?

Thank you all.

Jimmy

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimmy

• diplomat

• simp

• georges zaslavsky

Hi Jimmy,

unfortunately I don't have any knowledge on Sonneckens, but I do have a quite good Italian :)

If you want to provide the link to that website, I may help in translation.

Cheers,

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

Thanks, Diplomat, I had some hope that you would be wandering here :-)

Here is the link : http://www.fountainpen.it/Soennecken.

I can understand many things, it's not too difficult for a frenchman, but many stay obscure. And the Google's translation, is, huuuhhhh...

Jimmy

Edited by Jimmy

Oh, that's the Simone website (simp here on FPN).

As for the post war models, the nicest line was introduced between 1947 and 1950. The pens models were named by a system made by three equal digits. All of them were presented in three different sizes: Lady, Superior ed Extra.

•  
  • 444 - the cheapest model, short sized and only available in black
  • 333 - with more colors availables
  • 222 - bigger, made in a lizard skin celluloid in red, green, gray and black, with a visulated section for checking the ink level and a screw mounted clip
  • 111 - the top of the line, even more bigger than the 222, was made with a celluloid in different finishes (including herringbone) and eight different colors. It had a gold nib and costed around 11 DM.

You may find some original ad in high resolution (with nice illustrations of the 111 and 222) here: http://www.fountainpen.it/Soennecken_111

Apparently, nothwithstanding the high quality of the 111 and 222, the pens were not successful. Thus they are quite rare and sought after.

Along those models there was two other less interesting product lines:

- the 110, 112, 116 & 120: stout pens with piston filler mechanism, initially available only in black

- the 410, 414, & 420: slim pens with a new patented piston filler mechanism, provided with a security lock when in rest position

I hope that helped. It looks like this brand is an interesting one and well worth discussing and collecting.

Cheers, Andre

<font face="Verdana"><b><font color="#2f4f4f">d</font></b><font color="#4b0082">iplo</font></font><br /><br /><a href='http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?showuser=6228' class='bbc_url' title=''><font face="Trebuchet MS"><br /><font size="4"><b><font color="#8b0000"><font color="#696969">Go</font> <font color="#006400">To</font> <font color="#a0522d">My</font> <font color="#4b0082">FPN</font> Profile!</font></b></font></font><br /></a>

• 4 weeks later...

You may find some original ad in high resolution (with nice illustrations of the 111 and 222) here: http://www.fountainpen.it/Soennecken_111

Hi,

For Soennecken ADs, not just 111 or 222, you can go directly here:

http://www.fountainpen.it/Category:Soennecken_Ads

I tried to categorize all ADs scan I have by brand, so you should find them under something like:

http://www.fountainpen.it/Category:Brandname_Ads

Regards

Simone

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

nice job simone :) thanks for sharing

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

[*]444 - the cheapest model, short sized and only available in black

I have one of these in dark blue, so probably some more colors where produced. But I don't know too much about these pen, so I hope some person from germany knowing this brand much better that me could give more detailed info.

Regards

Simone

Edited by simp

Fountain Pen Wiki - www.FountainPen.it

Fountain pen Chronology (need help to improve...)

Old advertisement (needing new ones to enlarge the gallery...)

I, too, would like to know more about Soennecken pens and their history. But it seems now, these links are no longer working for us. :(

When I talked to Andy Lambrou about his Classic Pens last week in Ohio, he mentioned the clip was an influence from some of the Soennecken pens. So there is something grand and significant about the Soenneckens. But it would be great if we could maybe post a few pictures and some information on here for us to learn more about them.

So, let's do this. Show us your Soenneckens and tell us about them!

Shamouti :)

Edited by Shamouti

• 4 weeks later...

Sonnecken is well covered in Andreas Lambrau's book Fountain pens, vintage and modern.

They were in the pen making business since 1868, unfortunately the pen factory which once had over 2,000 workers was destroyed in the War and they never made it back, in they were the big three of Sonnecken, MB and Pelikan.

I'll skip to the '30's.

Rhinegold had a new filler system. three sizes 912, 913, and 914, in blue, green, red, and light brown. extra price over the black/pearl.

It was cheaper than the Duofold Series, which was the 911,913,915.

1933 the pens become more streamlined. 306 in black, blue, or pearl grey...smaller model 304, basic modle 205 in black.

1935...a new filling mechanism and the transparent ink window ....best model Soennecken Prasident, the Rhinegold got that too.

A new piston filler was brought on the market that was Priced under MB and Pelikan. Sonnecken was the big boy.

A even better piston filler was developed, but the war stopped it's production.

With the war, no more gold nibs, at first Palladium with the name "PRAGO". was shrunk the assortment to 4 piston fillers in black.....book don't say what model numbers. Perhaps it did but I got confused with the translation.

I'm going to stop here.

Get the book...It's hard enough typing stuff in with out translating, my book is in German and I'm an American.

Lucky fellow, you, every time I bid on one, it ends up a bit more than I am willing to go.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.