The Parker 75 Lacquer Series Review

maia

It seems that Parker chose this lineage of pen to unleash the greatest variation on.

For whatever reason, I have never been able to warm up to the grp/nib design......

Oh well, but that is a really splendid looking pen with that finish it has.

-Bruce

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maia

• Larry T

• BillTheEditor

• wdyasq

I was looking around on my computer and found a picture of my dark blue Custom Laquer 75(thanks LTW). It's not a great shot, but it does give you an idea of what the pen looks like:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a52/ircameraman/P75.jpg

I thought that the nib was an xf, but it is actually a French fine in 18K gold.

Maia, thanks again for starting this topic, and a great review.

Larry

Very good review of an excellent model, Maia--nice photos also, thank you!

Somewhere in your review, you mentioned that you could wish the 75 to be a bit bigger. You might want to consider the Parker Premier, which is just a bit bigger, but styled just like the 75, to the point that it can accept 75 sections and thus uses the same nibs.

With its onyx end jewels and facted cap and barrel bands, it's a very nice looking pen. And it is also offered in lacque, although those can be pricey. It also comes in the Cisele and a black resin, which is what I have--rather light for the size of the pen and I like that.

best, Dan

Thank you once again.

Yeah, the Premier Series are a bit bigger and certainly very good looking. I am enjoying this '75' a lot :)

• 1 month later...

Hi maia,

Just wondering, does your 75 tend to clog more frequently than other pens, even when in use?

I have a black lacquer 75 that writes beautifully but clogs even though I use it very often. My 45 has the same problem, but I don't know enough to be able to say that all Parkers do that. What do you think?

Very good review of an excellent model, Maia--nice photos also, thank you!

Somewhere in your review, you mentioned that you could wish the 75 to be a bit bigger.  You might want to consider the Parker Premier, which is just a bit bigger, but styled just like the 75, to the point that it can accept 75 sections and thus uses the same nibs.

With its onyx end jewels and facted cap and barrel bands, it's a very nice looking pen.  And it is also offered in lacque, although those can be pricey.  It also comes in the Cisele and a black resin, which is what I have--rather light for the size of the pen and I like that.

best, Dan

AFAIK, the Parker 'Premier' was only sold in Europe, being there the 'top' Parker pen line throughout the 80s, untill the Duofold was reintroduced.

That may be the reason it is rarely mentioned here, as most North Americans seem to be unaware about its existence.

I have a Premier stripe lacque & 22K GP 'Athenes', a 75 GP 'Milleraies' and a 75 matte black/GP. I do interchange the M, EF and RB sections between them.

The Premier has the same annoying disadvantage as the 75: the holes in the cap let it dry out quickly. Otherwise I like the the 75 as a compact pen.

Edited by saintsimon

Love the review Maia.

Mine is the sterling chiselle. I took the nib down to an italic with the corners just 'eased' a bit & it's one of my favourites.

As someone else said - this is one of the "must have" pens.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

Maia -

A great review of what appears to be a great pen! I'd go searching for one right now if I wasn't on a wife-imposed pen sabbatical. :o

For what it's worth, if the 75 cost $65US in 1983, that would adjust to just over $132US in 2006 dollars. (Based on the Consumer Price Index Calculator.)

Don

I purchased a Parker 75 Thuya Lacquer in 1992 for $63 from Staples (still have the receipt!). But I believe one in good condition is worth more than that now.

thn--my 75 was a terrible writer, even after I sent it back to Parker back in '92. It just wouldn't flow smoothly. Following the advice here, I flossed the nib, "greased" the converter and feed by flushing with a light soapy solution. That's really helped, plus I don't use Quink anymore--Sheaffer ink seems to work better!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi maia,

Just wondering, does your 75 tend to clog more frequently than other pens, even when in use?

I have a black lacquer 75 that writes beautifully but clogs even though I use it very often. My 45 has the same problem, but I don't know enough to be able to say that all Parkers do that. What do you think?

Not at all... Mine's a 83 issue, don't know if yours is an earlier or later model.

Even if I leave it alone for a month, it'll start right away from the 1st stroke.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Maia,

Loved your passionate review of your 75. I have to agree with your findings, as 75's are also my first love. Great pictures and at one time there was also a pillow for the barrel end. The only thing that could have made it better is if you told us that your pen had the signed chinese charaters on the cap. Your review was vary enjoyable reading. :)9

Thank You, Parkercrazy

• 1 month later...
Hi Maia,

Loved your passionate review of your 75. I have to agree with your findings, as 75's are also my first love. Great pictures and at one time there was also a pillow for the barrel end. The only thing that could have made it better is if you told us that your pen had the signed chinese charaters on the cap. Your review was vary enjoyable reading. :)9

Thank You, Parkercrazy

Hi. Sorry for the late answer. I've been 'of the scene' for quite some time. I have a terrible schedule this year at university. I basically can't live my life to be honest.

Anyway, long story short, my '75' doesn't have the chinese characters. Too bad, lol. I know that on some issues it is hard to see them, but I am pretty sure mine doesn't have them (maybe due to it being the latest 'Jasper Red Quartz' issue - 83).

Thank you for the inquiry :lol:

• 2 years later...

I have a Silver hatch one, bought some where in the early- mid 70's, back when a dollar was still a dollar, and we did not then call it a "Cisele".

I find the non-Silver or Gold Parker 75's to be very handsome looking pens too. The French did a fantastic job with this pen's other designs.

Mine laid in my wife's jewelry case for 30 years, because I feared loosing it, along with the matching mechanical pencil.

It writes smooth, and is a US 14 K M.

I find mine writes best with the cap posted, and with my fingers on the triangular section and not in the alternative long finger method, that works with a few other pens I'd found.

There were some pens left in a drawer from an Uncle of my wife, who died some 15 years ago. I was about to flea market them, when I noticed one was an Esterbrook, a name in the back of my head. All his other's were good solid piston filling pens. I went out and bought some Pelikan Royal Blue ink, suddenly I am trying to learn to write again.

Before, with a ball point I wrote with a flying print. With a fountain pen, having slowed down and writing bigger, I can now read my own handwriting; with a little practice my wife will be able to read my hand writing also.

I suggest buying an US model with the triangular grip, and not the French as a first 75 because the French has a different nib system that is thicker, so it is like most other pens, round. If I hit the lottery, there are a few French 75's that look fine.

But the defining part of the 75 is the triangular grip, and an adjustable nib.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Nice to see this is still going on :)

Just checked FPN after a long time and noticed my review was on the first page :lol:

• 7 months later...

I have a 75 Laque in red jasper that is on the face of it identical to the one shown in the initial review. It is date stamped Q1 1982 (AE), I also have the matching BP. I have had them from new as they were a 21st present from my parents.

Looking closer at the FP, the cap band is marked France but there are some anomalies. The nib is 14ct 585 medium and marked France, but from information from the Parker75.com web site the section is the earlier US model with the chrome plated section ring with ruled lines. The feed is also the earlier US pattern.

I have always liked this pen but stopped using it as the feed was poor. I will give it another go and see if I can't improve the feed as it is a shame not to use it.

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a 75 too although not lacquered and I should really write more with it. Bought a nib section from nibs.com that boasts a OBB and that number is really sweet.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Hello Maia,

I would like to add my thanks for an excellent, well-presented and informative review.

"The cultured man is the man whose interior consciousness is forever obstinately writing down, in the immaterial diary of his psyche's sense of life, every chance aspect of every new day that he is lucky enough to live to behold!" - John Cowper Powys