Can I Use Baystate Blue In An Esterbrook?

tmenyc

Now that I have a bottle of BBB, I'd like to use it...

Is it just Lamys and demonstrators that it reacts in?

thanks,

Tim

Tim

timsvintagepens.com and @timsvintagepens

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tmenyc

• FarmBoy

• OcalaFlGuy

• Inka

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks,

Tim

Do a search in this forum on "Baystate".

BSB puts kind of a reddish metallic sheen on Estie sections it's exposed to. I do not know how perminant the sheen is (it actually looks interestingly cool...).

I would suggest a Black Estie. It stained my Blue LJ. The stain came out with Simichrome but the usual Ammonia and Alcohol (the alcohol was a BAD idea) didn't phase the BSB.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Thanks, Bruce. Your response is sufficient...I think I won't then, except in the black Estie desk pen.

Tim

Tim

If you Search I think you'll find there were certain Lamy feeds that reacted poorly to BSB, seen some pictures that would have scared anyone.

I've also read that Lamy has since changed the material used in the feeds, but since this is just hearsay I'd read I can't vouch for it as fact.

Noodler's Polar Blue ink leaves a reddish-pinkish film inside my clear pens & converters, just as mentioned about BSB, but it wipes out easily enough.

I'm not sure what the reddish-pinkish film is even from, seeing that Polar Blue is blue and not purple or red, but the same film is seen in glass bottles I've put it in.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

If you Search I think you'll find there were certain Lamy feeds that reacted poorly to BSB, seen some pictures that would have scared anyone.

I've also read that Lamy has since changed the material used in the feeds, but since this is just hearsay I'd read I can't vouch for it as fact.

Noodler's Polar Blue ink leaves a reddish-pinkish film inside my clear pens & converters, just as mentioned about BSB, but it wipes out easily enough.

I'm not sure what the reddish-pinkish film is even from, seeing that Polar Blue is blue and not purple or red, but the same film is seen in glass bottles I've put it in.

Some of us just react poorly to Lamy in general.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Todd

And this, coming from the new Lamy forum moderator...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Todd

And this, coming from the new Lamy forum moderator...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Shhhh.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

...and to think I asked an innocent question!...

Tim

I don't recall any photos posted here of a Lamy feed that failed while inked with BSB, and what else I've seen has appeared to be some problem unrelated to BSB (like a propane torch was used).

I've had two Safari feeds in one pen fail with BSB. That same pen has its third feed and has been inked with BSB for a few months now. When I returned the pen the second time I explained that the problem of Safari feeds failing had been extensively discussed here and that my own results would be reported where it would be seen by many FP enthusiasts. That may have got me either an older or newer feed.

thanks,

Tim

Do a search in this forum on "Baystate".

BSB puts kind of a reddish metallic sheen on Estie sections it's exposed to. I do not know how perminant the sheen is (it actually looks interestingly cool...).

I would suggest a Black Estie. It stained my Blue LJ. The stain came out with Simichrome but the usual Ammonia and Alcohol (the alcohol was a BAD idea) didn't phase the BSB.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Some one soaked an Eastie that was in the box of pens and parts I bought. It looked so good... then after sonic it looked blaa, and any one who does that should have his writing hand chopped off.

Thanks for the tip on Semi chrome. I tried sonic and another cream that I had around the house, that I did not rub in too hard...thinking it a tad rougher than semi Chrome.

I've never tried that ink, but buy your self a Wearever for it, and you can't go wrong.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I don't recall any photos posted here of a Lamy feed that failed while inked with BSB, and what else I've seen has appeared to be some problem unrelated to BSB (like a propane torch was used).

I've had two Safari feeds in one pen fail with BSB. That same pen has its third feed and has been inked with BSB for a few months now. When I returned the pen the second time I explained that the problem of Safari feeds failing had been extensively discussed here and that my own results would be reported where it would be seen by many FP enthusiasts. That may have got me either an older or newer feed.

During the same time, there were also Lamy feeds that were reported to have died without ever being exposed to BSB, so I think it may just have exacerbated (or not, depending on viewpoint) an existing (and apparently short-term) manufacturing problem.

I used BSB in a Montblanc Starwalker for a number of months without incident (but with the caveat that I needed to flush more frequently. Frankly, I'd tend to use it in a gold-nibbed c/c fill pen.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Frankly, I'd tend to use it in a gold-nibbed c/c fill pen.

And, that's my issue: I have gold nibs, and c/c pens, but no gold-nibbed c/c pens. I think the Rotring Initial may be the winner because it's c/c and indestructible, and the Esterbrook black desk pen when it returns home.

Tim

Tim