Top Posters In This Topic

• Andrew_L

• readytotalk

• ethernautrix

• attika89

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Since yesterday's post was deleted for a reason unknown to me (Halloween), I will post it again.

FA nib from Pilot Custom 742

spacer.png

More detailed: http://lenskiy.org/2020/10/modern-pilot-custom-742-fa/

About fountain pens, inks and arts: http://lenskiy.org

or watch on social networks

Facebook: @ArtDesignPenS

Telegram: @ArtDesignPenS

Pinterest: ArtDesignPenS

Instagram: @andrew.lensky

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/18/2020 at 6:51 AM, Andrew_L said:

Lamy 2K ground to Cursive Italic

spacer.png

More info here: https://lenskiy.org/2020/10/ground-m-to-italic-modern-lamy-2000-black/

I had my Lamy 2000 M nib ground to a cursive italic, but it doesn't look anything like this sharp. Only the bottom side was ground at all, the top side is as it was originally. Is this photo representative of what it should look like? It writes fine, but there isn't as much line variation as I was expecting. 

(By the way, I tried to click on your link but my security software would not let me proceed, and gave me this message: This server could not prove that it is lenskiy.org; its security certificate is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

I tried it with a couple of different links on this page and they all gave the same result.)

47 minutes ago, Paul-in-SF said:

I had my Lamy 2000 M nib ground to a cursive italic

Hi! Here the question is in the individual preferences of the one who grinding the nib. In some sources Cursive Italic is equated to Crisp Italic, and in some other to Daily (Soft) Italic. Mike Masuyama, for example, does not separate Italic and Stab and makes SIG nib. I grinding nib as I like or as someone asked :). My blog is secure, but it does not support the https protocol because it uses WordPress. If your browser allows you can open a separate anonymous window and try link through it anyway or use another browser, you are the first one who complained about poor access.

This is how this nib writes:

spacer.png

Thanks for the explanation. That nib seems pretty crisp indeed.

I wasn't really complaining about the access to your site, I only mentioned it in case you wondered why I didn't go there first for more information. Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Andrew_L said:

This is how this nib writes:

spacer.png

Just beautiful - gave me my best smile of the day. And now I want Faber Castell Red - which is not something I every thought I'd say!

11 hours ago, Andrew_L said:

Mike Masuyama, for example, does not separate Italic and Stab and makes SIG nib.

My understanding is that the SIG grind was developed by the late Jim Rouse at Franklin-Christoph, and is now being done by Audrey Matterson, also at Franklin-Christoph.

Mr Masuyama grinds both Stub and Italic

Add lightness and simplicate.

11 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Thanks for the explanation. That nib seems pretty crisp indeed.

It is sharp only in the picture, in the writing it is quite smooth, so I called it Cursive Italic, and not Crisp Italic (I did this too) :)

10 hours ago, mizgeorge said:

And now I want Faber Castell Red - which is not something I every thought I'd say!

:) Welcome

3 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

My understanding is that the SIG grind was developed by the late Jim Rouse at Franklin-Christoph, and is now being done by Audrey Matterson, also at Franklin-Christoph.

Mr Masuyama grinds both Stub and Italic

Yeah, thanks for the info. To tell the truth, I don't know Mike, but my friend talked to him a lot and was visiting him, while ordering a lot of nibs from him and these are my friends words that "Mike does not have a division." About SIG grind, perhaps this is really a later invention and maybe simplification, since it is as Stub-Italik-Grind (I think so). But I still divide flat grinding into Crisp(Formal) Italic, Soft(Daily) Italic and Stub - for me these are different nibs. I just wanted to say that in the world there is no clear definition (division) into different grindings and that the Italic grind from different masters may look different, respectively, and the line may be less contrasting or vice versa more contrasting. I didn't want to say anything bad about Mike.

Just clarifying for the benefit of others. That 2000 grind's a beauty!

Add lightness and simplicate.