Nakaya Members List

Charlieboy

Level of Interest  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a special one-of-a-kind fellowship pen?

• Definitely Yes - I am a Nakaya Owner already.
    • Definitely Yes - I am soon to be a Nakaya Owner (pen in production).
    • Definitely Yes - I always wanted to be a Nakaya Owner.
    • Maybe ? seeing that it will be exclusive to FPM Nakaya members only.
    • Not for me...but a good idea all the same.

Hi Charles,

I placed my vote.

At this time I am unable to go for the FPN Nakaya as I have several other pens on the boil and have spent my pen allocation for the year!

This includes me sending my Nakaya back to John Mottishaw for a nib exchange..A stub extra broad with flex..Can't wait!

I do think that it is a great idea though and wish you all well, I am so glad we have a collective now for Nakaya's as the pens are the best around I think!

I am a portable writer owner and voted definately for the members list, great idea!

Hi Ian,

Great news, can you please vote...

I think we must agreed on an overall design for the ‘fellowship’ pen, and then individuals can make choices on things like nib size, nib colour, clips, etc, at the time of ordering.

Therefore, please can I ask those interested to vote and indicate your 1st & 2nd choice for each element (using Siv’s list) as per my example below:

1. Pen Size - 1st Portable, 2nd Piccolo.

2. Price Range - <=$1000.

3. Base Finish - 1st Aka Tamenuri (reddish red), 2nd Kuro Tamenuri (blackish red).

4. Base Colours - 1st Shu (red), 2nd Araishu (orange-red).

5. Extras - gold powder sprinkles on grip section and/or where pen cap and body join together.

I will collate all feedback and when I have sufficient data to work with I will post some stats, as to the more popular choices, so that we can take stock before agreeing on the final design.

I hope this process helps, please suggest any areas I have omitted to include.

Happy voting...

Regards,

Charlieboy

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlieboy

• sallywally

• Dan Carmell

• Siv

After the Dani Fellowship pen (which honestly, Nakaya has no intentions of meeting their price/performance point), I am tapped out. I don't think I am unique here.

I think I speak for a number of people, in that we should scale it back a bit. A plain 2 level urushi in a unique color, with some kind of special Kanji (the last time I bought a Nakaya, they were all of $25) might work.

Maybe something more like a zogan, but keep it in the $600 range, and you might find that you have a following.

Much more, and you might have trouble getting the same kind of enthusiam that you found with the Danitrio version. Just take a look at the number of posts here vs the original number of posts for the Dani.

My thoughts...

(one more thought)..

We might consider one of their incredible burlwood pens, which would be less expensive, but still unique. It would not compete with the Danitrio Fellowship pen, but would be a one off in its own right..

Edited by Doug C

the Danitrio Fellowship

John Mottishaw is the biggest seller of Nakaya in the English language, so if something like that was wanted, he'd be the one to go through. That said, from the little I talked to him, it didn't sound like a two-way relationship on the order of what Kevin has with Danitrio.

(I was inquiring about the why and wherefore of no kikyo Decapod, which is why I've never ordered a Nakaya.)

I don't understand what your inquiry had to do with never ordering a Nakaya? :)

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Charlieboy, your suggestions are great. I would bear in mind that if we have a certain intial commitment (say 10 people) then our negotiating position as far as cost is concerned would be much better than if we interact with Nakaya individually.

Nakaya is a custom pen maker so they will (within reason) make you whatever you want and you can see many examples of the custom work on their website. For sure, they will make you then pen that you describe BUT to differentiate from any other custom order, we should be able to take advantage of economies of scale and get a better price on a batch than having 10 individual pens made at different times.

To make it a little special, perhaps instead of the heki-tamenuri (which is in their regular line-up) we could consider the shiro-tamenuri which is something a bit more unusual. What do you all think?

http://www.nakaya.org/special/negoro/stamep2.jpg

I love that pen! Though I don't know if I want the ripp-y look to it..my finances vary and I would not want to be obligated to buy a pen I couldn't afford at the time or didn't care for....

I do like the idea of communicating with other Nakaya owners/lovers!

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

That's fine that you like it, but my usual dislike of things black or brown stands: I wouldn't buy it.

Edited to be more constructive: if it were available in Aka tamenuri as an option (for those of us who'd prefer that), then I'd be in.

I dislike red pens. I'd never buy an Aka Tamenuri! On the other hand, I love the browns. Very rich and deep. Everyone to her own taste!

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

I like the shiro-tamenuri I would be against the Heki tame since I already own one in that color scheme and it is pretty common. I am also against the textured section.

I should say I would def. be in for one if it is unique.

To show that we have more choice than we think, here is another picture to look at nice concept that we could look to modify, by (suggestion) changing the base colour to, say, red, and the top colour to (suggestions please) and for ALL of the grip section, cover this with gold sprinkled powders and (suggestion again) add some more gold sprinkled powders either for the 'cap' or where the cap and body join?

Keep the suggesting coming; this is worth time and effort up front so we all 'agree' on one design for the fellowship pen. This is not to say that others can always go direct to Nakaya later and base an individual order around the fellowship design, with say a different colour option.

Thanks for the feedback so far and do please keep it coming...

Charlieboy

I like that one too - the brown/green/with gold idea is very elegant and understated. And I love the Piccolo.

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

I like the idea of a special edition just for FPNers. I hope this idea comes to fruition especially since I attempted to order a regular Piccolo several months ago. The only thing I wanted was a zogan in a special shape - not their usual diamond shape and I was told that the pen would be in excess of a thousand dollars just for that modification. I know I understood the details because i did not go through the site directly, but through John's people and was not pleased with the response. It seems that any modification from their regular line drives the price up to a thousand or more.

I love the Piccolo shape and really loved the $2900 all raden pen that John had at the DC show. It was gorgeous to say the least but would have necessitated me living on the street for the next twenty years in order to pay for it.....

I knew from experience that even if I asked Nakaya to make one of these beauties with just a zillionth of an inch of that gorgeous raden, I would be paying at least a thousand.

If this venture can actually proceed to our satisfaction at a price agreeable to all in this economy, I would be very much interested.

Duh - what is a zogan?

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

I like the idea of a special edition just for FPNers. I hope this idea comes to fruition especially since I attempted to order a regular Piccolo several months ago. The only thing I wanted was a zogan in a special shape - not their usual diamond shape and I was told that the pen would be in excess of a thousand dollars just for that modification. I know I understood the details because i did not go through the site directly, but through John's people and was not pleased with the response. It seems that any modification from their regular line drives the price up to a thousand or more.

I love the Piccolo shape and really loved the $2900 all raden pen that John had at the DC show. It was gorgeous to say the least but would have necessitated me living on the street for the next twenty years in order to pay for it.....

I knew from experience that even if I asked Nakaya to make one of these beauties with just a zillionth of an inch of that gorgeous raden, I would be paying at least a thousand.

If this venture can actually proceed to our satisfaction at a price agreeable to all in this economy, I would be very much interested.

Duh - what is a zogan?

Look at the Nakaya website. It is a little piece of metal at the section, usually in a diamond shape. A nice little (albeit expensive) piece of decoration..

the Danitrio Fellowship

Duh - what is a zogan?

Look at the Nakaya website. It is a little piece of metal at the section, usually in a diamond shape. A nice little (albeit expensive) piece of decoration..

Not worth it,IMO!

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

John Mottishaw is the biggest seller of Nakaya in the English language, so if something like that was wanted, he'd be the one to go through. That said, from the little I talked to him, it didn't sound like a two-way relationship on the order of what Kevin has with Danitrio.

(I was inquiring about the why and wherefore of no kikyo Decapod, which is why I've never ordered a Nakaya.)

I don't understand what your inquiry had to do with never ordering a Nakaya? :)

Because that's the one I really want....

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

After the Dani Fellowship pen (which honestly, Nakaya has no intentions of meeting their price/performance point), I am tapped out. I don't think I am unique here.

I think I speak for a number of people, in that we should scale it back a bit. A plain 2 level urushi in a unique color, with some kind of special Kanji (the last time I bought a Nakaya, they were all of $25) might work.

I feel much the same. I think this is a great idea (I love my three Nakayas), but another high cost production (e.g.$500+) so soon after the Dani is probably beyond my means at the moment. But in 6 months time...

If a low cost pen were a popular option, one thought that crossed my mind was whether Nakaya might be persuaded to do a raw ebonite pen as a group 'special'. Danitrio no longer make them and they've certainly been popular.

Just my two pence worth...

Edited by Painterspal

D A N i T R i O f e l l o w s h i p

Let me point out the ingenious plan: if we get it as a regular kind of model variant, then you can order it whenever you want. I thought that was the plan.

So if you have the $ now, you can do it now, if you don't have it until next year, you can do it then.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Let me point out the ingenious plan: if we get it as a regular kind of model variant, then you can order it whenever you want. I thought that was the plan.

So if you have the $ now, you can do it now, if you don't have it until next year, you can do it then.

Let me slap you around some Deirdre. The idea is to not just pull one of the standard offerings; but, to ask for a fairly unique, but simple urushi, along with a simple but unique and identifiable Kanji, or other marking that id's it as an FPN model.

Shouldn't be too hard with a little creativity. It also might pull John Mottishaw into this forum. He has been (sometimes wisely) conspicuosly absent.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I know it's not supposed to be an existing standard offering, but my point was it wouldn't have to be done at once.

I think a nib-shaped zogan would be a perfect identifier, frankly. (Since no one else has even acknowledged this would be a cool idea, I'm going to keep repeating it....)

deirdre.net

I know it's not supposed to be an existing standard offering, but my point was it wouldn't have to be done at once.

I think a nib-shaped zogan would be a perfect identifier, frankly. (Since no one else has even acknowledged this would be a cool idea, I'm going to keep repeating it....)

Okay, I'll admit I didn't pick up on that at first (the nib shaped zogan-a neat idea), but the thought still stands. We should see some economies of scale by agreeing to purchase x amount of pens at a time.

((Hope you don't mind me busting your chops (wouldn't be the first time, right?))..

the Danitrio Fellowship

1. long. 2. decopod

2. price-don't care

3. would except a couple

4.blues green brown don't want a standard production

5. extra-would consider different ones

Email me for an updated list of ink for trade or if you want to exchange letters

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

I should have read page 5 before my last post.

I can't believe it there were 2 suggestions that would have me out (didn't think it was poss.)I wouldn't be interest in a burlwood pen or a raw ebonite. If I wanted one of those I would have kept the Danitrio one I had.

Email me for an updated list of ink for trade or if you want to exchange letters

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

hexyr, those were suggestions. A design isn't yet finalized.

deirdre.net

I like the Piccolo. Color really doesn't matter as long as it's a polished finish if it's a solid color. Other than that I'm open. I would like to have a price point of ~750-900 dollars.

I didn't read this thread completely....but I feel that the payment plan Kevin offered for the Dani Fellowship pen made a big difference for a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't have ordered one. Is one going to be offered on this one if it's a go? I'd bet over half the Dani pen buyers went that route, maybe more.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I recently purchased a Nakaya from nibs.com and it's become one of my favorites. Was hoping to get another at some point in the near future when I saw this thread. In my, very humble, opinion I think, as Kevin pointed out, we really need one person making most of the decisions (about design, etc). If that one person can get enough members to agree with him/her then the pen just might become a reality. If it was me, I would go with a pen that was reviewed on this site and, from what I recall, a lot of the members loved (and it's already been linked in this thread):

http://www.nakaya.org/special/eolivep.html

You've got a base price, you can probably get all the details of what went into this pen, and then you can choose what to leave out, or put in, to accommodate members and their pricing abilities/needs.

Lastly, I'd agree that Kevin's 'pricing plan' easily increased the amount of members willing to purchase the Danitrio pen. If someone would like to become our 'sponsor' we would probably get more than enough members on board. Although I'm no expert, I would think a 'bulk order' would reduce the price of the pen more than random sporadic orders from members whenever they get their finances together.

“It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.” Voltaire

"'The French Soldier,' pronounced Rostopchin, 'has to be incited to battle by high-sounding phrases; the German must have it logically proved to him that it is more dangerous to run away than to advance; but the Russian soldier has to be held back, and urged to go slowly!'" War and Peace