Nakaya Members List

Charlieboy

Level of Interest  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a special one-of-a-kind fellowship pen?

• Definitely Yes - I am a Nakaya Owner already.
    • Definitely Yes - I am soon to be a Nakaya Owner (pen in production).
    • Definitely Yes - I always wanted to be a Nakaya Owner.
    • Maybe ? seeing that it will be exclusive to FPM Nakaya members only.
    • Not for me...but a good idea all the same.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlieboy

• sallywally

• Dan Carmell

• Deirdre

Bautiful! I've put off buying other pens to save for this one, and thrilled to see it here! And I love Nakaya's super extra fine nib. Just right, out of the box.

Now, the pickiness questions:

1. Everything here is silver in color; I'm a gold person. Can I get the clip and nib in gold?

2. I forget: what does the kanji say? Can we get our own if we wish?

3. What was the cost of the prototype?

That's it....a lovely pen. :notworthy1:

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Bautiful! I've put off buying other pens to save for this one, and thrilled to see it here! And I love Nakaya's super extra fine nib. Just right, out of the box.

Now, the pickiness questions:

1. Everything here is silver in color; I'm a gold person. Can I get the clip and nib in gold?

2. I forget: what does the kanji say? Can we get our own if we wish?

3. What was the cost of the prototype?

That's it....a lovely pen. :notworthy1:

Hi, Charlieboy here...

To answer your questions in order, (1) yes you can select to have clip and nib in gold, (2) the kanji reads "Fellowship" and I believe that as John Mottishaw invested many hours hard work liaising with Nakaya IMHO orders should go via him, and (3) the prototype cost was US$870 - some six (6) months ago before Nakaya decided to review the exchange rate (and I don't know the current price for a fellowship pen - best to email John for an update).

I am currently awaiting my pen to arrive, exactly the same as Dan's except mine is having a Dragon rolling-stopper rather than a clip and the nib is starting out as a Medium then John will re-grind, re-polish, and adjust to fine stub cursive italic....hopefully to arrive in the next month :o)

That's it for now, only to say that looking at the images so far I am very pleased with the end product... 'A real beauty'...

...and all this from starting this thread on 12 October 2009 - amazing result!

Edited by Charlieboy

Thanks Charlieboy! I'll get in touch with John. :clap1:

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

probably due to the background material, i initially thought that the pen clip and nib are rose gold plated haha! the platinum sprinkling on the barrel is a nice touch and compliment the silver kanji wordings.

personally i won't be getting this pen because i've set my eye on a decapod but perhaps you can mention what people can customize for their own if they want the fellowship pen, like choose their own clip, nib color etc etc.

Please check out my blogshop for fountain pens and inks at http://inkoholicanonymous.blogspot.com/ Reviews of my pens can be found there too!

That's a beauty. Only thing I would change is the platinum powder on the nib section. For me, it's an unnecessary element. But otherwise... gorgeous! Well done!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

<snip>...perhaps you can mention what people can customize for their own if they want the fellowship pen, like choose their own clip, nib color etc etc.

Repeating from a post in January:

Charlieboy provided two links in his post on January 24 (post #156) that give provide the best illustration of the colors we will have before the prototypes arrive. The first link shows the color of the urushi, tanemuri with a white undercoat, and the second link shows what the sprinkles will look like--except not in a pattern and in platinum (i.e., silver colored not gold) sprinkles.

I think at this point the zogan is part of the base design. The elements that can be changed, as I understand it, are the color (i.e., plating) of the nib and clip, use of a "rollstopper" rather than a clip, and substitution of your name in kanji rather than the kanji for "Fellowship." I suspect that part of the issue is Nakaya's design not to have to re-price every pen and complicate orders.

About the nibs, you can see the full line of Nakaya nibs at nibs.com or Nakaya.org. And I am sure that John would be happy to customize your nib to your tastes (additional fee, of course).

-------------

This is not exactly an "official" FPN pen, but simply a FPN Fellowship homage pen. And because everyone so far (about four members) have ordered a somewhat different version, we have no guaranteed price, thus no set design features nor minimum order. Nayaka is making these up one at a time, per the individual order. Charlieboy's design is a suggestion toward a Nakaya Fellowship pen only, as I understand it.

Having said all that, I this there are about three design elements that make this pen unique: the use of shiro tanemuri, which is new in the US, I believe; the zogan on the barrel; and the kanji for "Fellowship" also on the barrel, which ties the pen to FPN. I do hope that a good percentage of the people who expressed a strong degree of interest get the pen with at least those three elements, so that there will be a number of us with similar pens!

I don't see a bit upwelling of interest now that the prototype has been shown, but I do understand that it's been many months and pen people's interests have a way of moving on to the next victim, er, pen. The poll shows just over 100 people firmly committed, but of course there were lots of caveats to the commitments. If there are a number of people--10, 20, or more, who are will to commit to the pen as is, we could go back and try to negotiate a lower price for that volume of committed orders. I'll keep an eye on this thread and if that seems to be happens, I'll ask for a head count and then discuss with John Mottishaw.

Best, Dan

Very handsome pen, Dan! Thanks for posting the photos.

I'm afraid I'm out of this pen merely because I cannot afford it right now.

Best,

Julie

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

I love the standard, short Piccolo pen and the Shiro-Tamenuri colors. I will contact John; I think I want the gold clip and single-color gold Super-Extra Fine nib. I had at one time thought of getting a piccolo vermeil rolling stopper but not sure I want to spend the extra money right now. The zogan is ok with me, though I'd not have chosen it, and to fit with the FPN fellowship idea, I can live with the platinum sprinkles, as well as the kenji for Fellowship, unless it's ok for me to get my ultimate choice, "Haiku."

Anyway, on to John!

Thanks, Charlieboy.

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

Placing my order:

I'm going to do one without a clip and with the rhodium-plated nib. I've asked nibs.com if the silver-colored nibs are included with the price since the photos on the site imply they are....

Here is a link to the photos of the pen on their site:

http://www.nibs.com/NakayaPiccoloShiroTamenuri.html

I'm planning to use the Fellowhip kenji and do the pen exactly as designed except without a clip. :D

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

Placing my order:

I'm going to do one without a clip and with the rhodium-plated nib. I've asked nibs.com if the silver-colored nibs are included with the price since the photos on the site imply they are....

Here is a link to the photos of the pen on their site:

http://www.nibs.com/NakayaPiccoloShiroTamenuri.html

I'm planning to use the Fellowhip kanji and do the pen exactly as designed except without a clip. :D

e

DUH! Presumably Dan's pen is exactly the way it comes, so the rhodium clip and nib would be included in the price. :embarrassed_smile:

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Bexley Dragon XXF

• 3 weeks later...

I plan to order mine in August - no clip and two-tone nib - woo-hoo!

Whatever it is, I'm against it!

-Grouch Marx as Prof. Quincy Adams Wagstaff

Just picked up my first Nakaya in the dark Burl Wood in matte with a .85 italic nib! Love it.

Guess I can be added to the group of VERY happy Nakaya owners!

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4802676052_360abc2b07_b.jpg

Edited by Bisquitlips

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 2 weeks later...

<snip>...perhaps you can mention what people can customize for their own if they want the fellowship pen, like choose their own clip, nib color etc etc.

I don't see a bit upwelling of interest now that the prototype has been shown, but I do understand that it's been many months and pen people's interests have a way of moving on to the next victim, er, pen. The poll shows just over 100 people firmly committed, but of course there were lots of caveats to the commitments. If there are a number of people--10, 20, or more, who are will to commit to the pen as is, we could go back and try to negotiate a lower price for that volume of committed orders. I'll keep an eye on this thread and if that seems to be happens, I'll ask for a head count and then discuss with John Mottishaw.

Best, Dan

Hi Charlieboy here to provide you with the latest link to the images of the FPN Fellowshipt pen including mine wich is about to be dispatched next week. I think the decision to have the Dragon Rollstopper was a good one and I am excited that I will have this in my hand very soon...

Here is the link http://nibs.com/NakayaPiccoloShiroTamenuri.html and all I can say is thanks to John Mottishaw for making this happen - a true professional and gentleman!

This will be my 2nd Nakaya and it won't be the last - they really are such a treat - and like they say "You know your's worth it"... go on treat yourself!!

Regards,

Charlieboy

Edited by Charlieboy

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new here...and I ordered my fellowship pen today - all the standard features plus the dragon roll stopper and a two-toned nib (double broad).

I expect I'll ultimately take delivery of the pen around the first of the new year...

In the meantime, I'll make the best of my alternative Nakaya pen - the Decapod (Kuro-tamenuri, medium CI nib).

Thanks, Charlieboy, for your initiative on this striking pen.

Best regards,

Bob

thinking about ordering the fellowship pen for my first nakaya, looks great!

Does anyone have experience with the ishi-me/kan-shitsu finish of the gripping section? The stone finish to increase the grip? Is it nice? any better pics than whats on nibs.com?

Thanks

'The brave may not live forever, but the cautious never live at all.'

thinking about ordering the fellowship pen for my first nakaya, looks great!

Does anyone have experience with the ishi-me/kan-shitsu finish of the gripping section? The stone finish to increase the grip? Is it nice? any better pics than whats on nibs.com?

Thanks

i do. i own a decapod with a regular urushi finish grip and a piccolo with an ishime-kanshitsu finish grip. between the two, i certainly feel the ishime-kanshitsu gives a better grip thus allows one to write better. i would certainly recommend it.

-rudy-

-rudy-

• 2 weeks later...

Dear all...

My initial post, when creating this thread, was on 12 October 2009, so this is a timely update now that I have taken delivery of my fellowship pen and have used it for 5 days. It is, without reserve, the best pen in my collection, which includes another Nakaya, a Conway Stewart (Bespoke 01/01), and 2 Sailor pens. The finish is 'exactly' as I had wished for, the quality is just as I expected from the craftsmen at Nakaya. This and with John's involvement in the process (with who's help this would not have been possible) has made me a very proud owner of a very fine and exclusive pen!

To all those considering owning such a pen - please contact John - who will 'willingly' listen to any modifications / personalisation’s to the basic design - I am sure that Nakaya are capable of accommodating your own wishes. To those of us who have taken delivery / place firm orders of a 'fellowship' pen - we are I am sure an exclusive few indeed!

Regards and wishes,

-Charlieboy