Nakaya Members List

Charlieboy

Level of Interest  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a special one-of-a-kind fellowship pen?

• Definitely Yes - I am a Nakaya Owner already.
    • Definitely Yes - I am soon to be a Nakaya Owner (pen in production).
    • Definitely Yes - I always wanted to be a Nakaya Owner.
    • Maybe ? seeing that it will be exclusive to FPM Nakaya members only.
    • Not for me...but a good idea all the same.

It is not a matter that John refuses to support our little plan here. We didn't even have this plan when I saw him in D.C. What he refuses to do is to join the forum.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlieboy

• sallywally

• Dan Carmell

• Siv

It is not a matter that John refuses to support our little plan here. We didn't even have this plan when I saw him in D.C. What he refuses to do is to join the forum.

Thanks, this is what I was trying to say but trashed my prior post.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

I would be interested in getting a FPN Nakaya (it would be my fourth Nakaya), if it's along the lines that have been set out so far, so let me put my two cents in. I think John is a great guy and a wonderful pen person, but I just don't think that he is set up (or interested in) supporting the work that a fellowship pen would be, judging from the work that Kevin put into the Dani Trio fellowship pen. Kevin also put together our pen club pen from Dani Trio a few years ago and that was comparatively simple, from what I read about the FPN Dani Trio!

So I agree with Charlieboy's suggestion to have a Japanese-speaking FPN member work with FPN. But perhaps that task would be easier if another FPN member would sign up to handle logistics. I know that I would be dismayed if I agree to translate and be the intermediary between FPN members and Nakaya and then found that I was expected to handle logistics as well!

Alternatively, I found, as an English-only speaker, that communicating via email with Nakaya was not too difficult. So if no Japanese speaking member is available for this, a slow and careful communication by email is possible.

Dan

I would be interested in getting a FPN Nakaya (it would be my fourth Nakaya), if it's along the lines that have been set out so far, so let me put my two cents in. I think John is a great guy and a wonderful pen person, but I just don't think that he is set up (or interested in) supporting the work that a fellowship pen would be, judging from the work that Kevin put into the Dani Trio fellowship pen. Kevin also put together our pen club pen from Dani Trio a few years ago and that was comparatively simple, from what I read about the FPN Dani Trio!

So I agree with Charlieboy's suggestion to have a Japanese-speaking FPN member work with FPN. But perhaps that task would be easier if another FPN member would sign up to handle logistics. I know that I would be dismayed if I agree to translate and be the intermediary between FPN members and Nakaya and then found that I was expected to handle logistics as well!

Alternatively, I found, as an English-only speaker, that communicating via email with Nakaya was not too difficult. So if no Japanese speaking member is available for this, a slow and careful communication by email is possible.

Dan

Hi Dan, et all...

Just to let you know that I have not stopped communicating with Nakaya, indeed I emailed them earlier today to help clarity the design, so we are still very much in discussion (and Toshiya Nakata has copied John into the conversations) so I have not lost hope yet, have I said that tenacity is something of the norm for me... :D)

As for logistics, by which I take this as payment, delivery, adjustments, after-sales support, etc, if we get a 'code' from Nakaya for the 'fellowship design' then we can all place orders direct with Nakaya (and adjust accordingly) so no individual has the onerous task, or burden, of logistics for all orders.

I do hope to be able to provide more of an update once I am happy that our design is understood and we can take it from there, ok.

Hope this helps,

Charlieboy

Good News!

John is now assisting us in this venture and I have his permission to post pertenent conversations, his opening email is...

"As you probably know, I have been representing Nakaya pens to the English-speaking world for the past two years.

Mr. Toshiya Nakata, President of Nakaya, has asked me to help the FPN with its proposed exclusive Fellowship pen. I am happy to help, if I can be of assistance.

I am familiar with a number of Nakaya pens and have a strong appreciation for their aesthetic and functional properties. A Nakaya has become my personal favorite pen to carry. Nakaya, through their work with master craftsmen, has the ability to produce an unusual customized and exclusive edition of pens. As well, I believe their nibs are among the best in the world today, with the highest standards of quality control. And apparently some on the FPN agree.

At your request, I can help your organization facilitate communication about Nakaya products that might be of interest to the members. I would also be glad to help FPN members select the nibs for these pens. I can help set up streamlined shipping and distribution to members. This would come at no additional cost and may even save some costs, as I would be shipping from the US rather than Japan. After delivery, I can continue support including nib exchanges and nib tuning.

I believe I can clearly convey the wishes of FPN members as well as the responses from Nakaya Pen Co.

Best Regards,

John Mottishaw"

...so you can see why I was so pleased to have John on board, indeed his follow-up email reads...

"Thank you first of all for your kind words. The FPN is recognized as a dynamic force in the pen world. I appreciate the fellowship and goodwill that the organization embraces.

Please feel free to post my letters to you on the FPN. I hope that you are right and my involvement is seen as good news. And, I hope that I can serve this group with pens and service that you all deserve. Please use my office email in general postings: info@nibs.com

I think that you have already gone a long way toward spelling out the specs for this "Fellowship" pen. With your permission, I will write up a purchase order for the first or "proof" pen to be billed and shipped to you. When we are satisfied, we will create an "item" here for the exclusive use of the FPN. Yes, I believe a code is in order to verify membership. We will keep a record of the members who are getting a pen, including billing and shipping as well as the special clip and nib requirements.

This correspondence is a good first step.

Best Regards,

John Mottishaw"

All of this... Good News indeed!

Every time I deal with John Mottishaw, I think "Wow! He's such a nice guy!" Same goes for his staff at CFP. Everyone there is just so nice.

Good news, indeed, Charlieboy; glad to know John is helping out - I met him at the NYC pen show this year, a nice and patient man who spent a good deal of time with me and explained a lot about nibs, flex, etc.

Charlieboy, congratulations! You have achieved something that many (including me) were doubtful was possible. Very impressive.

And to John, thank you very much for helping us in this endeavour. I have heard many good things about your services and products but have never bought from you. That is now likely to change.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Charlieboy, congratulations! You have achieved something that many (including me) were doubtful was possible. Very impressive.

And to John, thank you very much for helping us in this endeavour. I have heard many good things about your services and products but have never bought from you. That is now likely to change.

Hi Siv, et all...

I have commissioned a 'proof' pen (that I will pay and take ownership of) to help others decide if it is indeed what they envisaged and would love to own.

Orders can then be placed on the base 'fellowship' design – with or without clip, nib, changes per individual’s requirements.

Will post more details when the 'proof' design has been understood and a firm order placed...very excited indeed!

Regards,

Charlieboy

We are lucky to have john Mottishaw helping us.

He is the greatest pen expert I know, an honest and generous dealer and the first man I go to when I want apen

Lets go with the exclusive pen

What will it look like - any drawings yet?

Solitaire

The excitement is mounting! Great news!

It may be early to talk about possible options but it would help me to know what others think.

I love Nakayas and I'm lucky to own more than one already, including a Piccolo. I suspect Nakaya owners interested in this FPN Nakaya may be in the same situation: Piccolos are great pens and probably often the first choice for an initial Nakaya purchase (maybe I'm mistaken!)

Although I would very probably want the FPN pen whatever the form factor, it would be easier to plunge if other models were possible, with the same FPN design. My first choice would probably be a Portable cigar, or a Neo Standard maybe. This of course if the design lends itself to it. Maybe others feel the same?

John Mottishaw must be the gentleman I bought my Nakaya pen from at the Chicago Pen Show several years ago. He described how Nakaya does not accept representatives easily and how he had to travel to Japan for training at the factory on how to select and install the various nibs available. They way he described the process, he had to undergo an extensive training program that is only offered at the factory in Japan. This may explain why there are so few dealers around for this manufacturer. John may be interested in additional business, does anyone have his e-mail address handy?

PCAbrams

Perry.Abrams@hotmail.com

I would be interested in getting a FPN Nakaya (it would be my fourth Nakaya), if it's along the lines that have been set out so far, so let me put my two cents in...

DAN! I haven't seen you around here for ages, welcome back! :)

Great news, Charlieboy. Getting Mottishaw on-board is exactly what was needed.

I am interested in seeing images of the proposed design, but I'm not sure I will be getting one of the fellowship pens. If I did, it would be my fourth Nakaya, but... it would not be unique like my last two Nakaya pens have been.

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

I would be interested in getting a FPN Nakaya (it would be my fourth Nakaya), if it's along the lines that have been set out so far, so let me put my two cents in...

DAN! I haven't seen you around here for ages, welcome back! :)

Thanks so much! I've been lurking (and buying) for a bit, after being away for some time. Nice to be back--FPN continues to grow, thanks to the excellent moderators and admins.

Charlieboy, congratulations for helping to get John involved--that is a huge coup! For me and I would imagine others, it makes this project quite solid and therefore a real prospect. Thanks also for getting things rolling with the proof. I will certainly get one now!

Dan

Charlie Boy,

Congratulations! And I'm getting more excited about this pen!

I can't wait actually to see what the proof pen looks like.

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

Wow! Good news indeed that John is on board with this. Thanks Charlieboy, you took the ball and ran.

JELL-O, IT'S WHATS FOR DINNER!

Hi all, I would be happy to be involved in the FPN Nakaya pen project.

I am not sure if there is a list yet, will try and go through the posts to see.

I have one Nakaya now, a long Piccolo with a flexy nib

Hi, I guess you are the gut to talk to on this Nakaya fellowship pen?

Great idea, thanks so much for doing all this work.

I am quite interested in getting one, pending of course final description and price.

I've been getting to the posts more often, but still not as much as you guys, so I may be missing some info.

Will try to keep up.

Please do include me in any list, and thanks again.

Hi Siv, et all...

I have commissioned a 'proof' pen (that I will pay and take ownership of) to help others decide if it is indeed what they envisaged and would love to own.

Orders can then be placed on the base 'fellowship' design – with or without clip, nib, changes per individual’s requirements.

Will post more details when the 'proof' design has been understood and a firm order placed...very excited indeed!

Regards,

Charlieboy