Nakaya Members List

Charlieboy

Level of Interest  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a special one-of-a-kind fellowship pen?

• Definitely Yes - I am a Nakaya Owner already.
    • Definitely Yes - I am soon to be a Nakaya Owner (pen in production).
    • Definitely Yes - I always wanted to be a Nakaya Owner.
    • Maybe ? seeing that it will be exclusive to FPM Nakaya members only.
    • Not for me...but a good idea all the same.

hi,

I wouldn't be tempted by the initial design no matter what the color choice, the fake cracks don't work for me. I would be tempted by Siv's suggestion, dark with light raden dust where cap and barrel meet, perhaps with a little heavier raden dust on the section? (Rather than the heavier raden mosaic covering in the other picture) Of course, anything we can get a picture of from the Nakaya site won't be unique...

Danitrio Fellowship

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlieboy

• sallywally

• Dan Carmell

• Siv

hi,

I wouldn't be tempted by the initial design no matter what the color choice, the fake cracks don't work for me. I would be tempted by Siv's suggestion, dark with light raden dust where cap and barrel meet, perhaps with a little heavier raden dust on the section? (Rather than the heavier raden mosaic covering in the other picture) Of course, anything we can get a picture of from the Nakaya site won't be unique...

+1 - I don't like fake cracks either. It is like buying already torn jeans. Raden dust could be an attractive variant. I'd like a special colour scheme - like the traditional with a darker overlay, but in colours special for us. Maybe a blueish light green covered with a dark tealish green. Or golden, deep yellow covered with a dark, dark green - like the British Racing Green on Jaguars. Something understated, special with its own twist.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

Or have the section covered in raden

http://www.nakaya.org/special/raden/aogai2.jpg

I would certainly go for a nice Raden design, or Maki-e. Plain urushi doesn't work for me.

Yes, well, the above pen is like $2900. Beautiful though it is (I saw one in person at the NYC show), it's out of almost everyone's budget.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I would prefer a clipless, new color urushi only and not maki-e nor raden.

I think a Nakaya should be more zen than other brands.

post-24335-1241092646.jpg

69 th D a n i t r i o F e l l o w s h i p p e r - Montblanc WE Lover - NAMIKI addicted

http://www.pennamagazine.com

Cherlieboy, sounds like it's time for a vote!

1, pen size - piccolo, portable, long, decapod, mini decapod

2, price range - <$500, <$750, <$1000, $1000+, don't care

3, base finish - plain colour urushi, tamenuri

4, base colours - reds, blues, blacks, greens, browns, etc

5, extras - maki-e, raden etc etc...

Things liks nib size, nib colour, clips or not can be different for every buyer.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Status update as at 17th October 2009 (it's my Birthday today)...

OK, let's all agree that ‘fake cracks' are out, as too is a standard black or brown top colour; and that the following remain in the mix:

(1) Golden sprinkles and or Raden dust could play a part;

(2) The base colour should be light, so far suggestions are red, blueish light green, or deep golden yellow.

(3) The top colour needs to be dark, to contrast (in a positive way) with the base colour, blueish purple, reddish green, and a dark, dark green (as stated like British Racing Green on Jaguars) - I like this concept although personally I am not a fan of green.

Any other suggestions that we need to consider as we are still in the 'brain-storming' phase and all ideas are worth considering before we start the next phase of seeing what the majority are happy with to go into the design....

Oh and by the way, it is 'definitely' acceptable for members to say what they don't like as well as what they do; this is a valid part of the design phase and none of this should be viewed as negative feedback - IMHO it is all very positive so far :D)

Thanks,

Charlieboy

Status update as at 17th October 2009 (it's my Birthday today)...

I agree totally with Sivs call for a new vote, point is how can we change/modify/replace the voting on this thread to aid selection?

Charlieboy

Edited by Charlieboy

Hi all, it’s time to vote and show your preferences to help establish a list of the components that will go forward to the final design.

I would also like to keep all of the history of this topic in one thread, so I will not create a new post just yet.

I think we must agreed on an overall design for the ‘fellowship’ pen, and then individuals can make choices on things like nib size, nib colour, clips, etc, at the time of ordering.

Therefore, please can I ask those interested to vote and indicate your 1st & 2nd choice for each element (using Siv’s list) as per my example below:

1. Pen Size - 1st Portable, 2nd Piccolo.

2. Price Range - <=$1000.

3. Base Finish - 1st Aka Tamenuri (reddish red), 2nd Kuro Tamenuri (blackish red).

4. Base Colours - 1st Shu (red), 2nd Araishu (orange-red).

5. Extras - gold powder sprinkles on grip section and/or where pen cap and body join together.

I will collate all feedback and when I have sufficient data to work with I will post some stats, as to the more popular choices, so that we can take stock before agreeing on the final design.

I hope this process helps, please suggest any areas I have omitted to include.

Happy voting...

Regards,

Charlieboy

Edited by Charlieboy

1. Piccolo

2. covered

3. Aka Tamenuri

4. Shu

5. A zogan of a nib. :)

(To reiterate, I'm currently at a maybe for this, in part because I'm paying off pens. I'd probably get one eventually, but probably not in the first rush.)

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I like it. I had already decided to order a Nakaya coming this December. Might as well be a Fellowship Pen!

To make it a little special, perhaps instead of the heki-tamenuri (which is in their regular line-up) we could consider the shiro-tamenuri which is something a bit more unusual. What do you all think?

http://www.nakaya.org/special/negoro/stamep2.jpg

--

roccopin

1. Piccolo

2. <= $1000

3. 1st Shiro-tamenuri 2nd Aka-tamenuri

5. gold powder on grip section should go well with a gold nib

--

roccopin

I like the idea of a special edition just for FPNers. I hope this idea comes to fruition especially since I attempted to order a regular Piccolo several months ago. The only thing I wanted was a zogan in a special shape - not their usual diamond shape and I was told that the pen would be in excess of a thousand dollars just for that modification. I know I understood the details because i did not go through the site directly, but through John's people and was not pleased with the response. It seems that any modification from their regular line drives the price up to a thousand or more.

I love the Piccolo shape and really loved the $2900 all raden pen that John had at the DC show. It was gorgeous to say the least but would have necessitated me living on the street for the next twenty years in order to pay for it.....

I knew from experience that even if I asked Nakaya to make one of these beauties with just a zillionth of an inch of that gorgeous raden, I would be paying at least a thousand.

If this venture can actually proceed to our satisfaction at a price agreeable to all in this economy, I would be very much interested.

1. piccolo

2. under $900

3. green (could be plain or 2-layer color)

5. some subtle raden sprinkles around the middle, on the section would be nice too

this is a pen I would probably find irresistible, although I have been trying to save money for a different Nakaya for a couple of years now, it keeps getting "bumped"...

Edited by Kay

Danitrio Fellowship

Or have the section covered in raden

http://www.nakaya.org/special/raden/aogai2.jpg

I would certainly go for a nice Raden design, or Maki-e. Plain urushi doesn't work for me.

Yes, well, the above pen is like $2900. Beautiful though it is (I saw one in person at the NYC show), it's out of almost everyone's budget.

Yes, that's for sure. I can't personally swing more than $1k, and it would have to be a really special pen for me to spend that kind of cash.

1. Pen Size - don't care

2. Price Range - I'll make it work

3. Base Finish - any Tamenuri

4. Base Colours - don't care

5. Extras - no gold but platinum, silver, rhodium, chromium etc all welcome :)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I am a portable writer owner and voted definately for the members list, great idea!

All the best.

Ian

Mont Blanc Alfred Hitchcock, Mont Blanc 149, Montegrappa Historia Limited editon 410/1000, Sheaffer imperial 777, Prker 51 special, Parker Duofold senior special, Stipula Tuscany dreams piston with 1.1 italic 036/351, incoming: Stipula Tuscany dreams T-flex. Parker 51 Vac, Pelikan 140. Aurora, Twsbi vac, Omas,dupont Waterman leMan 100 Opera

I am a portable writer owner and voted definately for the members list, great idea!

Hi Ian,

Great news, can you please vote...

I think we must agreed on an overall design for the ‘fellowship’ pen, and then individuals can make choices on things like nib size, nib colour, clips, etc, at the time of ordering.

Therefore, please can I ask those interested to vote and indicate your 1st & 2nd choice for each element (using Siv’s list) as per my example below:

1. Pen Size - 1st Portable, 2nd Piccolo.

2. Price Range - <=$1000.

3. Base Finish - 1st Aka Tamenuri (reddish red), 2nd Kuro Tamenuri (blackish red).

4. Base Colours - 1st Shu (red), 2nd Araishu (orange-red).

5. Extras - gold powder sprinkles on grip section and/or where pen cap and body join together.

I will collate all feedback and when I have sufficient data to work with I will post some stats, as to the more popular choices, so that we can take stock before agreeing on the final design.

I hope this process helps, please suggest any areas I have omitted to include.

Happy voting...

Regards,

Charlieboy

I like the idea of having a nib logo (to represent FPN) either as a zogan or sort of inverse (gold sprinkles except in a nib shape.

Much as I'd prefer platinum to gold, I think the gold happens to go better with Nakaya's red.

deirdre.net