Nakaya Members List

Charlieboy

Level of Interest  

234 members have voted

1. 1. Are you interested in a special one-of-a-kind fellowship pen?

• Definitely Yes - I am a Nakaya Owner already.
    • Definitely Yes - I am soon to be a Nakaya Owner (pen in production).
    • Definitely Yes - I always wanted to be a Nakaya Owner.
    • Maybe ? seeing that it will be exclusive to FPM Nakaya members only.
    • Not for me...but a good idea all the same.

I am sure you can pull this off, after all, many companies would do limited run for group of people. Bexley has done this, as with Visconti (for Novelli) etc. Just a few thoughts/ideas from me from my experience on this.

1. Will be good to have someone that can communicate in Japanese. This helps as their English is usually not as good, but if I remember correctly, there is someone in Nakaya who speaks descent enough English.

2. You must consider what to do if someone backs out at the last minute. Economy is still tough and one's financial status can change. I don't think Nakaya would want to be stuck with pens not claimed when comes to delivery.

3. One central person as go between for all communication as you don't want 30 folks emailing Nakaya. There is some time commitment.

4. John Mottishaw is a nice guy and may help facilitate, but this may possibly drive up cost?

5. The Danitrio Pens came together very quickly within few months from concept to final production. I have to commit large capital into this project, and a lot of sleepless nights :-). You may avoid this by have members prepaid for the pens.

6. You have to decide a price point that will include as many members as possible. This is tough. Should the pen be only for 10% of the members? 20%? 90%? If too few members purchase the pen, then it defeat the purpose.

7. Also must consider, if the pens needs to be tuned, nib change, or need repair, who is going to do this? John Mottishaw? or do you have to send the pens back to Japan?

I am sure there are more things to consider, but it's late here and I am not thinking too clearly. The bottom line is this can be done, but need to think this through and have a central person being in "charge", sort of speak.

Kevin

To Cross The Rubicon

Internet Pens

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charlieboy

• sallywally

• Dan Carmell

• Siv

Kevin is letting the cat out of the bag: we should all be happy that he did not charge his time spent against his usual rate for that project! (Thanks Kevin, I do enjoy using the fellowship pen very much). This is why---I think---going through John may be a bit expensive.I doubt whether the amount of maki-e work on the fellowship pen would be offered by Nakaya at a similar price point. Perhaps a pen with some tame sukashi work is more realistic. That would be very much a Nakaya product. Ruud

If you would like I can send an e-mail in Japanese to inquire about the possibilities. It's likely they have a list of price breakdowns based on materials/design and quantity.

(My personal spending limit is like $150 right now, which might buy me a nib if I'm lucky).

What about asking Platinum if they would do a pen in a custom colour or with a logo or something? (yes I am a cheapskate)

Neill

OK so after looking at their product list it would appear that I am way out of my league. Never thought a plain urushi would fetch such a price!!!

Yeah...actually I may have to back out. Maybe I could get one someday...

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

I would say that if there is Maki-e this pen will cost at least $1k. If not then around $700. Don't expect this to be a bargain!

+1 This will not be inexpensive and likely be a righteous pen I'm sure! Right now I'm way over budget which is sorta normal except for the way part so really way x3 is more accurate O.K. that's my two cents (and that does fit in my budget...but no more)

May you and those you love, be always blessed with peace and never ending joy.

Roger

Just joined - but I love Mottishaw nibs and continually browse his website.

It's wonderful to find a group of people that understand the love of good pens and paper - (not necessarily expensive the Pilot G2 is a wonderful pen.) My family and co-workers think I'm insane - smiles...

Count me in if the pen becomes a reality.

Having reviewed the feedback and the suggestions, having assessed the level of commitment, I am unsure if this concept is going to be too much of a challenge to pull off...

However, I do have the following suggestions for those who are committed to the cause and willing to spend up to $1k for something special...

(1) We need to agree on the design of the pen first, so I am posting the suggestion to consider - a design based on the "Nuno kise Hon Kataji'' Heki-Tame version linkwith "ishime kanshitsu" technique to prevent slipping, towards the middle of this link, thus creating something unique.

(2) Once we have agreed on the design we can present this as a request to Nakaya to see if they are happy with the design and agree a price.

(3) The next stage, and this is a suggestion, is to request from Nakaya, a code for this design, that FPN members can use (quote) when placing an order. This way no individual is committed to funding other members commitment to purchase only to back out of their commitment.

The benefit of the approach above allows individuals to participate in the design, and once agreed, be able to place an individual order, committing the funds at the time of placing an order; just the way it is with Nakaya direct (my current order was paid via a PayPal link in an email from them simple).

In addition, as each order is personal, the sales support and after-sales support is direct with each customer (FPN Member). Their after-sales support is very clear and is included in the confirmation email prior to placing the order and also in the email confirming the order.

I hope my suggestions above are receive in a positive way as I would like to see this get off the ground. If we approach Nakaya as in (2) above, highlighting to them the potential number of orders, then they may well allow us a discount of the price they would typically quote for a one-off pen.

Have a think and post your thoughts and suggestions...

Kindest regards,

Charlieboy

Edited by Charlieboy

Charlieboy, I like that -- make it an open edition (so there's not a stampede).

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Charlieboy, your suggestions are great. I would bear in mind that if we have a certain intial commitment (say 10 people) then our negotiating position as far as cost is concerned would be much better than if we interact with Nakaya individually.

Nakaya is a custom pen maker so they will (within reason) make you whatever you want and you can see many examples of the custom work on their website. For sure, they will make you then pen that you describe BUT to differentiate from any other custom order, we should be able to take advantage of economies of scale and get a better price on a batch than having 10 individual pens made at different times.

To make it a little special, perhaps instead of the heki-tamenuri (which is in their regular line-up) we could consider the shiro-tamenuri which is something a bit more unusual. What do you all think?

http://www.nakaya.org/special/negoro/stamep2.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

Charlieboy, I like that -- make it an open edition (so there's not a stampede).

Precisely, an open edition allows for late comers to the Nakaya fellowship, who like the design, can place an order, This way it is not over restricted to just those that can afford one now! We may (or may not) think about restricting the possible number of pens that can be produced to keep this a little exclusive, but this is not my main thought (although truth be told I was side-tracked on the idea of exclusivity for a short while).

The main thing now is to see who is 'still' interested in going forward, considering the cost (not to exceed $1k) and what other design ideas are put forward.

How about we have a show of hands as who is still in and some other designs other than my suggestion?

Charlieboy

Charlieboy, your suggestions are great. I would bear in mind that if we have a certain intial commitment (say 10 people) then our negotiating position as far as cost is concerned would be much better than if we interact with Nakaya individually.

Nakaya is a custom pen maker so they will (within reason) make you whatever you want and you can see many examples of the custom work on their website. For sure, they will make you then pen that you describe BUT to differentiate from any other custom order, we should be able to take advantage of economies of scale and get a better price on a batch than having 10 individual pens made at different times.

To make it a little special, perhaps instead of the heki-tamenuri (which is in their regular line-up) we could consider the shiro-tamenuri which is something a bit more unusual. What do you all think?

Yes, shiro-tamenuri, that is a better choice - I like it, I like it allot! And going to Nakaya with a confirmed minimum order, yes again to say 10, then this would indeed give us a better position to request a better price (that others can benefit from when they too have sufficient funds). Great ideas Siv...thanks.

Edited by Charlieboy

Honestly, if it's going to be a near-solid, I'd rather there were a color choice because, well, that pen is brown. The only brown pen I own is solid bronze. :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

I like the shiro-tamenuri quite a lot actually!

Yes it's brown, but so rich and natural: amber, golden brown, maple taffy...

The relative rarity of it is interesting also.

That's fine that you like it, but my usual dislike of things black or brown stands: I wouldn't buy it.

Edited to be more constructive: if it were available in Aka tamenuri as an option (for those of us who'd prefer that), then I'd be in.

Edited by Deirdre

deirdre.net

I like the shiro-tamenuri I would be against the Heki tame since I already own one in that color scheme and it is pretty common. I am also against the textured section.

I should say I would def. be in for one if it is unique.

Email me for an updated list of ink for trade or if you want to exchange letters

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5673/inkdz2.png

Here is one in blue and purple as the colour underneath the black over-colour - it will get more blue/purple over time. There's a little raden around the join. I'm surprised that they have this priced at $620.

http://www.nakaya.org/special/akebono/star1_800v.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

I like the shiro-tamenuri I would be against the Heki tame since I already own one in that color scheme and it is pretty common. I am also against the textured section.

I should say I would def. be in for one if it is unique.

To show that we have more choice than we think, here is another picture to look at nice concept that we could look to modify, by (suggestion) changing the base colour to, say, red, and the top colour to (suggestions please) and for ALL of the grip section, cover this with gold sprinkled powders and (suggestion again) add some more gold sprinkled powders either for the 'cap' or where the cap and body join?

Keep the suggesting coming; this is worth time and effort up front so we all 'agree' on one design for the fellowship pen. This is not to say that others can always go direct to Nakaya later and base an individual order around the fellowship design, with say a different colour option.

Thanks for the feedback so far and do please keep it coming...

Charlieboy