Which Nib Makes A Good Stub?

baazjg

OK, I've been inspired by Bruce's recent article and want to try an Estie. Before I take the plunge, I need some advice from you experts. Do the Esterbrook nibs make good stubs? Which ones (1XXX, etc) would be good candidates to have ground to a medium width stub? Is this something that is commonly done with these pens? Thanks for any help.

baazjg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• baazjg

• FarmBoy

• Paddler

• junoro

OK, I've been inspired by Bruce's recent article and want to try an Estie. Before I take the plunge, I need some advice from you experts. Do the Esterbrook nibs make good stubs? Which ones (1XXX, etc) would be good candidates to have ground to a medium width stub? Is this something that is commonly done with these pens? Thanks for any help.

baazjg

Get a 9314M, one of the more desired and fun Estie choices. I believe Lisa (lisa@esterbrook.net) has one for sale.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I have a 2314M stub. It works really well. The shading is terrific with low-saturated ink. The line variation is only about 1.3:1, though.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

Please please please try to find a ready-made stub nib before you have one ground down and destroy it's original use. Osmiroid nibs made for the 65 & 75 models are good stub/italic nibs and they fit Esterbrooks. You can probably find one or several on ebay for less that the cost of grinding down an otherwise good nib.

I have never found an italic or a stub that I liked out of the box. I have ground a 2442, a 9668, a 9968, a 9460, and a 9461 and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Rob G

"Sacred cows make the best hamburger." - Mark Twain

Have not used Esterbrooks but have ground a wide variety of nibs into Italics. Generally, would recommend starting with a Broad nib. Mediums work out but are somewhat narrow and make for a finer Italic. I like the recommendation to attempt to find some Osmiroid nibs first. That would require much less work to get a usable Italic nib. Would recommend buying one or two Pelikan Futures in Broad (or the equivalent) and practicing grinding on them before attempting an Estie.

In fact, Esterbrooks in general are valuable enough to look into buying one equipped with an Italic ground by a good nibmeister.

Luck to you in your endeavors,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

I agre with the others on the 2314 nib. I have a broad and love it.

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.

Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"

US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.

Frank Herbert, Dune

US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

• 2 weeks later...

Osmiroid nibs.

I have some old 65 Calligraphy Osmiroid, of course the BB nib was missing, I have broad, that I'm using to learn Calligraphy.

One must use the old 65 and 75 nibs, HOWEVER the new made in China Calligraphy nibs won't fit.

I don't know if that is a stub or not....if it is I just saved my self some work.

Well at least on Easties, I have some old no names I was thinking some one had done something like grinding on it way back before the day, as emergency work, because they are not up to snuff, as I see it.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks to everyone for all the responses. Things have been pretty busy with work, etc, so I haven't had time to pursue this. When things slow down in a few weeks, I'll start digging thru the Marketplace and you can bet I'll keep all this advice in mind.

baazjg

I have some old 65 Calligraphy Osmiroid, of course the BB nib was missing, I have broad, that I'm using to learn Calligraphy.

One must use the old 65 and 75 nibs, HOWEVER the new made in China Calligraphy nibs won't fit.

I don't know if that is a stub or not....if it is I just saved my self some work.

I'd call the Osmiroid italic nibs more like a cursive italic than a stub; I used a medium italic for a daily writer my junior year in high school (1975-76) after my Sheaffer Imperial got damaged. They're a pretty smooth CI, though (or at least the one I had, with Skrip Permanent Black, was).

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.