Ink Sample Exchange - United States

Guest Denis Richard

hmm, I haven't bought those Amazon ones specifically (I try to avoid ordering from them) but I've bought ink samples from someone who used those and I've had only one sample out of 28 from them arrive leaky (it turned out to be Noodler's USS Texas, I think, which might've partly escaped because it's fairly wet; though the Iroshizuku inks in the same batch stayed in their vials), so take that as a data point.

I've used the JetPens vials as well as a bundle that I ordered from AliExpress that also had those blue caps, but I also tend to tape & bag my samples anyway just in case!

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cursive Child

• Sailor Kenshin

• GreenVelvet

• aj3537

Thanks so much to everyone for the feedback about ink vials! I appreciate that people took the time to tell about their own experience and contribute links and ideas. It's this kind of thing that makes FPN so nice. :)

💌✍️ Snail mail rocks! 📬 🐌
I am currently on hiatus (too inconsistent)
but I admire those who do!

I just bought these vials on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZCW27NJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

This listing specifies "50 tubes" and not "50 pieces", which is where many similar products have lower reviews complaining of unclear advertising for 25 tubes and 25 caps. I received 50 tubes and 50 caps, and if I hadn't, I could have taken it up with Amazon without the seller being able to wiggle out on vague description. The caps do not have an inner seal, but then again, my Goulet vials don't seem to either. I have put water in one, screwed it on tight, and shook the bejeezus out of it, and no leaking occurred at all. With my typical precaution of electrical tape wrap for shipping, I have every confidence in these.

I'm always up for an ink trade!

16 minutes ago, egglorru said:

I just bought these vials on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZCW27NJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

This listing specifies "50 tubes" and not "50 pieces", which is where many similar products have lower reviews complaining of unclear advertising for 25 tubes and 25 caps. I received 50 tubes and 50 caps, and if I hadn't, I could have taken it up with Amazon without the seller being able to wiggle out on vague description. The caps do not have an inner seal, but then again, my Goulet vials don't seem to either. I have put water in one, screwed it on tight, and shook the bejeezus out of it, and no leaking occurred at all. With my typical precaution of electrical tape wrap for shipping, I have every confidence in these.

Oooh and 50 vials for just shy of $7 is a great deal! Thanks for this (and for the electrical tape tip, because it really is an awesome way to secure your vials for shipping). :wub:

🐌 💌 📬 Snail mail enthusiast & ink swatching fiend. Trade inks with me here🎨🌈🖋️

round-letter-exc.pnground-ink-exc.png

That sounds like an excellent deal, and for non-spilling vials, that's great. You may have found a jackpot, @egglorru!

💌✍️ Snail mail rocks! 📬 🐌
I am currently on hiatus (too inconsistent)
but I admire those who do!

One extra tip re: sending samples and preventing leaks—

Silicon tape/plumbers’ tape, placed around the threads of the vial (aka under the cap) seems to seal these very well. 

One roll of the tape lasts almost forever. I bought a new roll today (“PTFE thread seal tape, 1/2” x 260”) at Home Depot, $0.59–well worth it!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, goodpens said:

Silicon tape/plumbers’ tape, placed around the threads of the vial (aka under the cap) seems to seal these very well. 

One roll of the tape lasts almost forever. I bought a new roll today (“PTFE thread seal tape, 1/2” x 260”) at Home Depot, $0.59–well worth it!

Late to the party but just confirming that this is an awesome sealing method! Traded recently with @goodpens and not a drop of ink leaked in the package I received. Definitely going to try out this method for future samples!!! 

🐌 💌 📬 Snail mail enthusiast & ink swatching fiend. Trade inks with me here🎨🌈🖋️

round-letter-exc.pnground-ink-exc.png

FYI this batch that I got from AliExpress most recently came with the little O-rings/gaskets inside the lids - not sure how consistent the QC is on these, but I was pleasantly surprised! 

On 2/6/2021 at 2:10 PM, goodpens said:

Great idea! Thank you.

I just finished doing this on samples I'll be sending out next week. 

On 2/6/2021 at 3:10 PM, goodpens said:

Let me caution a bit of clarification - PTFE or teflon plumber's tape is the super thin sealing tape for pipe threads that worked amazingly in our trade! Silicon plumber's tape is a different and thicker beast that I've seen cause a cap to seal improperly and leak when put on the threads.

4 hours ago, egglorru said:

Let me caution a bit of clarification - PTFE or teflon plumber's tape is the super thin sealing tape for pipe threads that worked amazingly in our trade! Silicon plumber's tape is a different and thicker beast that I've seen cause a cap to seal improperly and leak when put on the threads.

Yes! Thank you. Teflon, not silicon. 

I knew when I wrote the post that I was having a brain fart, but didn’t realize what I’d done. I can no longer edit or correct that original post. Thanks for noting it here!

• 1 month later...

Is an ink swap currently going on? I'm new here so apologies if it is and I haven't found it yet. I have a bunch of blue samples from Goulet's that I don't need and would be happy to swap for other samples or for a bottle of a true blue like Monteverde Horizon Blue.

Ink swaps are sort of loosey goosey and perpetual around here! Go ahead and list the inks you'd like to trade in here, and also if there's someone posted in here whose ink list interests you, go ahead and introduce yourself in their dms to see if they'd like to trade, because not everyone gets email notifications from forum threads but most everyone does for their dms.

yep, post away! like the overwhelming nerd that I am, I put a spreadsheet in my link specifically so I could keep it updated - always up for a good trade!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a bunch of 5ml vials from aliexpress, which seem to be of decent quality. I have about 75 bottles of ink, which I want to make an inventory of. Then I will be very excited to join the ink swap game! Just... just lemme get the inventory first :)))

• 2 months later...

I was just wondering if these exchanges were still going . Im looking at some folks list .

• 2 weeks later...

My updated ink list is here ;

lamy crystal ink in solid black , 

lamy regular ink in solid blue 

levenger gemstone green , shiraz

noodlers apache sunset , american eel blue , black swan in austrailain rose 

squategue , manhatten project black 

chesterfield teal 

J herbin amber de bermanie 

J herbin rouge opera 

monteverde onyx

pelikan brilliant black 

I am interested in mainly blues and blacks that I have not tried before thanks and just let me know 

what you have . 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, ttiot8 said:

Anyone interested in some sample trades? Here's my list.

Hi there. Yes—I’d be up for a trade. I took a quick skim of that (very impressive) list and you have a few I’ve been wanting to try. I need to take a closer look. 

I’m not positive what I can offer in return. I will go through your list to see if I have anything you don’t, then I will PM you later this week. But is there anything in particular (color family, brand, etc.) that you’re looking for?