Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

Reprieve, I stopped off at another thread on my way to his one, and couldn't help but notice your Nakaya Piccolo pen in blue and silver finish, I know that this might sound like a stupid question, but who made this pen?

The name Nakaya sounds as though it is a Japenese make, but Piccolo rather implies Italian manufacture.

I take it, it is a fountain pen? Could you show it opened please?

I thiunk it quite rightly causes some 'Oooooh's, and Aaaaarh's' in the right circles!

Truffle Finder. :thumbup: :embarrassed_smile:

Nakaya is a Japanese brand. I have several of their pens in different shapes, sizes, and finishes--each is handmade and the nibs are wonderful. John Mottishaw of Nibs.com sells them and all of my Nakayas have come from him. However, you can order directly with Nakaya. John usually has a large selection of Nakayas at his pen show tables, by the way, in case you're both going to be at a US show at the same time.

The Piccolo is the model name. The carved flower pattern is called Housoge. It is filled in with silver powder. There is more about this particular pen on Nakaya's website. There is a photo of the pen uncapped on Nibs.com, along with a bit more about the techniques used to create it. The Piccolo is a short pen, but it is a nice width so it is very comfortable in the hand. Mine has a three-tined music nib (which is a very broad, very wet stub italic) that writes amazingly. It is one of my very favorite pens!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

By the way--I can't believe I didn't think of it earlier!--Nakaya has several dragon pens you might be interested to see, given your interest in dragons. All photos are from Nakaya.org.

Ascending Dragon in aka-tamenuri

http://www.nakaya.org/special/tamesukasi/a_dragon/tamedragon5.jpg

Ascending Dragon in silver bokashi

http://www.nakaya.org/special/tamesukasi/gindragon/gindragon4.jpg

Maki-e Dragon

http://www.nakaya.org/special/makie/dragon/dragon_v.jpg

Dragon in the Heaven

http://www.nakaya.org/special/makie/dragon_heaven/f_dragon1_v.jpg

Dragon with Cloud

http://www.nakaya.org/special/makie/dragon_cloud/dragon_800_v.jpg

Ryukyu Tsuikin Flying Dragon

http://www.nakaya.org/special/ryukyu/ryukyud6.jpg

Thank you so much for showing us those pictures, they are certainly beautiful pens, I'm pleased that I stopped off at that other thread!!!

The next time I meet up with John Mottishaw, I will definately talk to him about them, maybe with a music nib on it!

Truffle Finder. :embarrassed_smile: :thumbup:

PS. I came downstairs to check up on a repair that I am doing on a 'laquered' Pilot Pen, which has suffered a break right across the barrel where the lever 'slit' is situated, I had set my alarm to ensure that I did not miss the critical time when the glue would be almost on the point of setting,but soft enough to make sure that the broken edges are exactly in line! Hey Ho!!! I'm off to bed again now, and I will know as soon as I come down tomorrow morning whether I 'did' get it right! :embarrassed_smile:

What amazing photos of those Nakayas.............. I have four Nakayas, but all plain Urushi or Maki-e, no Dragons (with or without Clouds!) :puddle:

I can't wait to see if Henry gets one............. and which one? :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: They should do one with a bunny on it..........we could have a sub-club!!! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Now going for a lie-down as soon as we have lunch - it is wild wild weather here - gales, snow, hail and rain........all horizontal!!!

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

When the alarm went off this morning, I was tempted to roll over and snooze for another hour! But decided to get up and see how the repair had turned out, [there's dedication for you!]

Everything seems to be good, but because the break runs so close to the decoration on the pen, I will not be able to improve on it, but all in all I am quite pleased with the result, Neal will be photographing it before it goes back to the client, so hopefully, [with his permission] Neal will be able to post the 'before' and 'after' pictures on here soon.

Truffle Finder. :thumbup:

The repaired pen has been sent to Neal for the photography.

Hopefully things will start to settle down a bit, I'm up to my neck in Onoto overlays, and they have asked for more to be done, so I am chasing my tail trying to catch up after having been away at the Goldsmith's Hall Exhibition for a week!

Hey Ho!!!

Truffle Finder. :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile: :embarrassed_smile:

PS. The two nibs arrived today, OK? :thumbup:

The master hard at work! :notworthy1: :notworthy1: :notworthy1:

( I detect dancing bunnies on the horizon....;) )

Edited by esterbex

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Here they come........................................... :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

and that is just the beginning of them............. like the Welsh, there are more behind the mountain!

:roflmho:

Make it count!!!

This is one little Bear............bearly big enough for the task in hand!!!

Waiting for a slithering helper and a second in command to arrive :roflmho:

http://dxlab.ky1v.com/zzz/SOLbear.jpg

Make it count!!!

My heart goes out to that little bear, tell him that there are indeed a couple of helpers, ready and waiting to go to their Uncle Simon's place before being dispatched to 'parts foreign' hopefully later today!

In the meantime:..........

Enter Mickey Rooney. "I know what!" :eureka:

"Why don't we put the show on right here?" He exclaims as he gestures towards the interior of the conveniently located aircraft hangar that they have found themselves inside! :ltcapd:

Truffle Finder! :thumbup:

Dear Uncle Henry!!!! Will you come with me to another site where my huge pen will feel at home please??? :notworthy1:

I am so looking forward to having two new little siblings in our family here in Tassie!

Love,

Bearly. :cloud9:

PS..............see us on the other 'fred' - there I could be 'fred bare' - :roflmho:

Make it count!!!

What a lovely load to bear.... :cloud9:

Going to be a juggler when he grows up............how many bear years does that take? :roflmho:

Make it count!!!

I think perhaps the Spirit has moved that bear to find some yummy honey to eat for lunch while he settles in to wait for his new snake friend... that heavy lifting (holding?) worked up his appetite I'm sure. Just don't tell Slitherin' Sally there's a bear about--it might give her a fright!

All this talk of Simpole overlays recently has reminded me to ink up my green Chatsworth again. The Chatsworth is keeping me company while we wait for Kevin and Jasmin to arrive. :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: