Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

I was very shocked to hear that Conway Stewart had gone into Administration. But having thought about it since I first heard about it, I just hope that someone will step in and try to re-start the company soon, and iron out the problems that it would appear they had suffered from recently.

I am not a 'captain of industry', but I sincerely hope that if a 'new owner' of the company is found fairly soon, that he or she has the skills and determination to make it work. It would be a terrible shame if the company name disappeared once again.

Truffle Finder.

My sentiments as well. I had hoped that the involvement of Alastair Adams and David Cooper was the start of better times for Conway Stewart.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

For anyone who is genuinely interested about this present situation regarding Conway Stewart, my advice is to say very little, and to be rather sceptical about whatever anybody else says or writes about it. Gossip is a very negative thing at the best of times, and in my experience, the stories [mostly not based on actual fact] become distorted, and there is a tendency for the dramatic snippets of 'news' to become really ugly!

The only people who actually 'Do' know what is going on at Conway Stewart at the moment, is the present owner of the company, and the Administrators who were called in by him to assess the assets and liabilities of the company, and to draw up a broad sheet of accounts, with a view of then finding a new owner/director of the company. So until that job has been successfully concluded, there is really no point in saying anything about it, as that would only be conjecture.

Truffle Finder.

PS. For anyone who may be in the unfortunate position of having been caught at the wrong moment in time, in an uncompleted contract with the company, they should write a letter to the Administrators, informing them of the situation, and then wait for a response from them. It is in their interest to tie up any 'loose ends', as the case may be.

I was very shocked to hear that Conway Stewart had gone into Administration. But having thought about it since I first heard about it, I just hope that someone will step in and try to re-start the company soon, and iron out the problems that it would appear they had suffered from recently.

I am not a 'captain of industry', but I sincerely hope that if a 'new owner' of the company is found fairly soon, that he or she has the skills and determination to make it work. It would be a terrible shame if the company name disappeared once again.

Truffle Finder.

Hear hear - well said.

For anyone who is genuinely interested about this present situation regarding Conway Stewart, my advice is to say very little, and to be rather sceptical about whatever anybody else says or writes about it. Gossip is a very negative thing at the best of times, and in my experience, the stories [mostly not based on actual fact] become distorted, and there is a tendency for the dramatic snippets of 'news' to become really ugly!

The only people who actually 'Do' know what is going on at Conway Stewart at the moment, is the present owner of the company, and the Administrators who were called in by him to assess the assets and liabilities of the company, and to draw up a broad sheet of accounts, with a view of then finding a new owner/director of the company. So until that job has been successfully concluded, there is really no point in saying anything about it, as that would only be conjecture.

Truffle Finder.

PS. For anyone who may be in the unfortunate position of having been caught at the wrong moment in time, in an uncompleted contract with the company, they should write a letter to the Administrators, informing them of the situation, and then wait for a response from them. It is in their interest to tie up any 'loose ends', as the case may be.

Thank you - the first sensible comment on the situation that I have seen.

Henry, you are someone with close business contacts with CS. Would you have the names and address of the administrators where our members can write to? It appears there are some members still waiting for a paid-for pen..

Thanks

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

No, I don't have a specific address for the Administrators, but I would be surprised if they do not check the post at least on a daily basis, in which case, I would be inclined to write to:- The Administrators, C/o. Conway Stewart, 2/3 Haxter Close, Belliver Estate, Plymouth, Devon, PL67DD.

Bearing in mind that a complete stock take would had to have been done, so I can only assume that they must be in the building daily.

I hope that is a help.

Truffle Finder.

No, I don't have a specific address for the Administrators, but I would be surprised if they do not check the post at least on a daily basis, in which case, I would be inclined to write to:- The Administrators, C/o. Conway Stewart, 2/3 Haxter Close, Belliver Estate, Plymouth, Devon, PL67DD.

Bearing in mind that a complete stock take would had to have been done, so I can only assume that they must be in the building daily.

I hope that is a help.

Truffle Finder.

Thanks Henry. I'll post a sticky.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

It would appear that if you do not log-in on a daily basis, you get logged out [but maybe it's because I'm using my lap-top, down in Cornwall!] anyway, I've just been to the viewing of the various items for auction sale at the Conway Stewart Factory. It was a very sad visit to make this morning.

An extraordinary thing happened when my fiend Derrick and I got to the 3rd lot that we were interested in, it was on the bottom shelf of a steel cabinet, and it was a postal 'Jiffy' bag with my name and address on it!!! Inside the package was the 'Master'overlays for the Centenary Conway Stewart Pens! I couldn't believe that they were there!!! So I called the man over, and explained to him that they were my property, and should not be include in the sale. So, he took the package away, and not very convincingly told me that he would pass the message on to his colleague, and he would take it from there!

[i have just spoken to the gentleman concerned, and he has assured me that it will be sent on to me.]

Anyway there were three lots that I am going to bid for, so, I will just have to wait and see what happens!

Truffle Finder.

It must be Cornwall. My wife's family is from there and they still don't consider themselves members of the UK (they must be encouraging your Northern brethren?). A narrow escape on the auction; glad you caught it in time.

Post Script

Henry I am not an expert in this field but I would be claiming my property in writing to the administrators by registered post. Stating that the master overlays were and remain your property.

Best wishes

Michael

Truffle, I'm inclined to agree with Michael here. Assuming someone will do the right thing is why CS is in the state it is now.

CS property is being sold on ebay as I type. I wouldn't want to see those masters there.... :unsure:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Good morning all!

Thank you for your words of advice with regards to the 'Masters' of the C/S Centenary pen, but perhaps rather naivelyI do believe that the gentleman who I spoke to [both when I was there at the factory, and later, on his mobile phone] will make sure that they are returned to me on Monday.

The other way of looking at it, is that if they found their way into someone else's hands, what could they do with them? They certainly couldn't re-create the Centenary overlay pens with that design, but even if they did go to all that trouble, what would be the point?

I for one would take it as a great compliment to think that 'fakes' had been made!

Truffle Finder. :) :excl:

Henry, good luck with that ... I am also of the opinion that most people will 'do the right thing', but sadly, some will not, especially if invoñves a bit of effort on their part :(

One of my first lessons in business was "Always put it in writing, and always keep a copy"!

(It's sad news, anyway, about the company's demise)

Roger

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

Henry

I think you should be applauded for your faith in the Gentleman to whom you spoke I also believe my word is my bond however the company is now in the hands of the administrators.

Who have a legal duty to the creditors of the company part of that duty involves identifying all goods on site precisely and realising them to pay the companies debts.

I am pretty sure that the administrator will require some form of documentation to prove that you rather than the company own those items as at some point they may have to show who got what and why.

There are many people who collect pens and related items if I saw one of your master engravings for sale (legally) I would be a bidder and I don't think I would be alone.

If you want help with a letter I am sure there are better qualified people than me who would offer to help but if they did not offer then I would be happy to help you

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I came in to this just because I saw my friend my63's name. In the US, in bankruptcy, assets don't go anywhere without a court order. If you made an item for the company, and it owes you, your debt is normally junior to the debt of secured creditors, which means the senior debtors have a superior right to an item you made and have not been paid for. There are equitable concerns and exceptions, whereby you may well get those goods, but, in the US at least, you normally have to go to court to make that argument (there are also consumer protections, for buyers of goods, but those normally don't apply to suppliers).

I do to give legal advice on the internet, nor would it be worth anything if I did since I don't practice in this jurisdiction, but the administrator's first duty is to the estate, and not what logically seems right or just, so I (as a practical matter) would try to buy back those overlays. Cheapest way to do it.

And if they are silver overlays, they have value on the open market.

Thanks for the advice 'Elle', and I'm sure that what you have said is correct, as the laws over here are basically the same [i think!] as you use over there!

But I will give him a ring on Monday, [i have got his mobile number] and see what he has to say about it.

The thought of going through all the 'rigmaroll' of writing to them stating my case, just doesn't seem worth it! I'm sure that if it found it's way into the hands of a devious person, and they tried to sell it on E-bay, I am quite confident that someone somewhere would inform me of it, and then I could more easily 'state my claim'!

In the meantime, I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping to get the three lots that I'm bidding for in the conway Stewart auction!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

For anyone who has taken interest in the C/S auction that has been on over the last two days, I must say, that I was more than a little surprised at some of the realised sums that some of the lots went for. Particularly Lot number 133, [a wooden polished presentation case with 58 pens in it] I spent some time on Monday looking through that case of pens, and there were only four halfway decent vintage pens in there, the rest were really quite ordinary, [burnhams amongst them! And some other 'no-names!'] but the amazing thing is that it went for over £3,000!!! If the buyer bought the lot 'blind' then I fear he/she is going to be very disappointed!

I was quite fortunate, in that I was successful, and got two lots, so I am very pleased to have made the effort, and went down there to look at what was there. I suppose I was also lucky, in that I have several large C/S nibs in stock at the moment!

Truffle Finder.

Well, after quite a busy week, I am looking forward to see what will happen up at Portobello today.

I have only heard about two people who will be coming to see me today, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything, if there's one thing that I have learnt about the Antiques Business, it is that it is completely unpredictable!

Despite the journey down to the West Country this week, I have done all my repairs for customer's pens, but there are still plenty of my newly purchased pens to be done, so that is my Sunday's activities sorted out!

Looking out of the window just now, it is pouring down with rain, but hopefully it will pass fairly quickly!

Truffle Finder. :) :excl: