Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

http://e08595.medialib.glogster.com/media/08/0867ab14b79702b7136e241a1bdd29a88aa227a25b0617af72e69505befd716f/xlg-snickers-500.jpg

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

:puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: :puddle: I thought I felt an attack coming on! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

I find myself uncontrollably driven to walk down to the Quik Chek.

"Feri ando payi sitsholpe te nauyas" -- Lovara saying

“She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows, and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.” Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

This week at Portobello Market, business was quite 'brisk'!

Well, that's probably not the right word to describe it, but put it this way, I hardly had any time to read any of my book, so you can gather from that, that I was kept fairly busy.

A couple of collector friends of mine came to see me, one of whom I had not seen for a good few weeks, so it was nice to 'catch-up' with him, and look at the box-full of vintage pens that he had picked up in the last month or so. He had two Conway Stewarts both of which needed major surgery to their caps! [Just right up my street!] Anyway, we did a bit of horse-trading, and I ended up with the two Conway Stewart Pens. Needless to say that I worked pretty well all day yesterday on both of them. One is a CS 475 in Toffee Swirl, the other one is a CS 26 [Rare] in green marble. Both are made of casiene, and as most people are probably aware, is prone to 'breaking down' at the slightest hint of moisture, [not good for the caps of pens!]

You might be pleased to know that the Toffee Swirl, is now looking as good as it did when it left the factory about 80 years ago, the Number 26, is still in surgery, but everything looks as though it will be good in a day or so!

Truffle Finder. :) :D

Truffle, do these match yours?

CS26

fpn_1407305792__cs26grnmrbl.jpg

CS475

fpn_1407305765__cs475ctoffeeswirl.jpg

~~Larry Brown

Yes Esterbex! They are the very same pens!

With the exception that my C/S 26 has got the three cap-bands, instead of the broad single one, but they are pretty rare!

Many thanks.

Truffle Finder. :) :D

This week's Portobello, looks as though it will be quite a good one.

A lady has E-mailed me during this week, to check that I will be there, and to see if I had any of the Conway Stewart 100's in stock [the one with the filigree cap-band].

So, unless there are 'planned engineering works' happening on the 'tube' on Saturday, she will be coming to see me to pick the pen up.

I'm not sure if the lady is a FPN person or not!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

Oh indeed I am often found here, Truffle.

The pen is wonderful, and yes, honestly, that nib is not took broad for me as an everyday user. Ghost Plane would indeed enjoy it. Photographs to follow ...

The only problem is that it is better in real life than photographs, and my photographs are nowhere near the standard of Neal's.

Oh dear, it may be quite a wait. Fabulous pen, nicely balanced, stunning looks. Ooh, and a broad italic nib too. What more could I ask for?

Hope the wait hasn't been too long?

post-37965-0-01571500-1407608654_thumb.jpg

post-37965-0-41700300-1407608667_thumb.jpg

Sorry, my photography "skills" aren't anywhere near the same league as Neal's.

And if you can cope with my scribble, the review can be found at:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/271757-conway-stewart-100-with-henry-simple-overlay-capband/

Can you tell that I like it :puddle:

Truffle, hope your day at Portobello continued as it seems to have started.

Hope the wait hasn't been too long?

attachicon.gifIMGP5284.JPG

attachicon.gifIMGP5285.JPG

Sorry, my photography "skills" aren't anywhere near the same league as Neal's.

And if you can cope with my scribble, the review can be found at:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/271757-conway-stewart-100-with-henry-simple-overlay-capband/

Can you tell that I like it :puddle:

Looks wonderful - thanks for sharing :thumbup:

The CS italic nibs are in my experience with IF and IM sizes, excellent. Enjoy your IB!

Hi there, 'View from the loft!' I must apologise! That was the second time that we have met, and it was the second time that I did not realise that you are View from the Loft!

I suppose it is an understandable mistake, after all, you don not have it written on a badge anywhere about your person!

Anyway, I'm pleased that you are happy with the pen, and yes, it turned out to be just as busy a day at Portobello, as it had started. Several Americans came along, and tried various vintage pens [and bought ones that they fancied!] and at times there were people waiting for the previous customer to finish, before they could see me!

Time flew by, and by the time my friend Tim turned up, I realised that I was actually quite tired! [i must be getting old!]

I was offered quite a few pens to buy during the day, nothing extraordinary, but basically 'good stock-fill' so I was very happy with the pens that I bought.

All in all, it was a good day. :) :D

Truffle Finder.

Dear Truffle,

There are so many people that participate in this thread that you can't be expected to remember who we all are in real life or on here.

The pen is superb, and has had a good workout (three convertor fills through it already :) ), however, it has wiped out my budget for the London show (ah well, I'll just stock up on ink there and save on post costs).

View

Of course, having such a 'hunocorously' broad italic nib in the pen, that you have, it is hardly surprising that you have gone through 3 convertor-fills of ink in such a short period of time! My everyday user-pen is a Sheaffer, with an equally broad italic nib and I'm forever filling it up!

I'm pleased that you are enjoying the pen so much.

Truffle Finder. :) :excl:

OK, so has anybody just come back from the Washington Pen Show, with lots of photographs then????

It might be nice to see how the Onoto/Conway Stewart fraternity did there!

How about it then?

OK, so has anybody just come back from the Washington Pen Show, with lots of photographs then????

It might be nice to see how the Onoto/Conway Stewart fraternity did there!

How about it then?

There was a good photo spread on another pen forum, and I'm pretty sure I saw pics of the Marilyn pen there. If FPN people don't step up with photos, I'll post a link to that one...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Well sad to say that the Arkansas contingent was too covered in people trying to get to the Akkerman ink to get around the floor to snap many pics. :(

But here are some that may have meaning for you dear Truffle. Alastair Adams (Onoto/Conway Stewart) represented the Britons in Johnny English style,

which was quite well received, seeing as how many of the male vendors coveted his Union Jack vest...he had several requests to buy it off his back.

You can fuzzily see Marilyn posted in the corner here....That's as close as I could get without disturbing business.... :wacko:

10505305_10203419605228292_8448860949878

1511715_10203419626268818_52444336402966

These two send their hellos....

10609675_10203419365342295_7177418313890

This one sends his greetings and will see you in October at the London show....

10474258_10203942776025349_4333146467378

And this was pretty much the state of affairs when away from the show floor....

10537447_10203937023241533_4490996290619

10570519_10203419591227942_1948664924136

995617_10203937021041478_792765356905167

You should have been there, Truffle....I think you'd have done quite well....The weather was splendid and so were the bank accounts of those in attendance. ;)

And there were enough Brits to keep you company should you have been homesick.... B)

It was a wonderful show. :happy:

Now I'm off to troll other forums to see if any more show pics have turned up....

~~Larry Brown