• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

I take it that you were not a fan of Marilyn Monroe then Tancred!?

I suppose you cannot please all the people all the time, but time alone will tell whether or not the pen will sell or not!

Truffle Finder.

Horrific and vulgar! :angry:

I assume they are aiming for the American market, quite clearly. :rolleyes:

For men of a certain age and drag queens she still has quite a bit of international favour.

I could somehow see your comments' validity if maybe she were depicted in the buff....

but really, there is nothing either word applies to in this particular design. As for the "clear

market aim", Europeans taught us everything we know.... ;)

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Well there's a new story and pictures over on Henry's website: http://penman.photium.com/the-simpole-conway-stewart-100

There would have been pictures here too but for some reason flickr just won't play ball this morning...

Neal.

Let me help you there, mate!

fpn_1406203570__cs100lehscoll.jpg

~~Larry Brown

On Saturday, I was handed yet another Dunhill Namiki laquered pen which had obviously had a very nasty accident! :yikes:

In profile the cap mouth looked like a mountain range! :mellow:

The tallest 'peak' of the mountain range showed where the cap lip had been but it was very small. :unsure:

First of all, I had to select a donor cap from my stash of bits and pieces, then I had to 'flat file' it to fit the DN cap, but the problem was that the 'deepest' 'valley in this 'mountain range' cut right through the inner threads of the cap! How could I persuade the 'donor' cylinder to get past the inner threads? :eureka:

Two 'donor' caps later! I had drilled out the threads from inside the 'patient's cap', and the new cylinder fits the space perfectly! "Phew!!! What a job!"

Now of course, the next thing to do, is to bond the cylinder in place, then to fill the 'troughs' in between the 'peaks' of the mountain range, with black resin.

It has certainly been one of the most intricate Namiki repairs that I have ever tackled, but it is not finished yet, so I really ought not count my chickens! But at least I have broken the back of it!

I'll keep you posted how it goes!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

I'm really sorry about the absence of any images of the two pens that I have been working on, but I cannot find my camera, and even if I knew where it was, and was able to take some reasonable pictures, I still don't know how to post pictures on this thread!

All I can tell you, is that the Dunhill Namiki pens are both done to the best of my ability, and I am absolutely tickled pink about the way they have both turned out.

You I'm afraid will have to take my word for it!

Truffle Finder. :) :D :excl:

As it's you, I think we can let you off.

(I'll just go and drool over the photographs of the CS100 with your cap band overlay)

I take it that you were not a fan of Marilyn Monroe then Tancred!?

I suppose you cannot please all the people all the time, but time alone will tell whether or not the pen will sell or not!

Truffle Finder.

Sorry Henry, I admire your skill - always have done - but this is the first piece that I really do not like. I do not mean offence, my apologies.

I find the piece tacky - for me an overlay should be a reminder of the age of innocence before WW1, not the fleshy excesses of the 1950s and 60s.

For someone not meaning to give offense, calling someone's work "tacky", "vulgar", and "horrific" certainly gives mixed signals. And thanks for that sweeping generalization of Americans, that was super.

Truffle my dear man, very VERY belated happy birthday! It's been a really insane couple of weeks and I haven't been around, but I hope you had a wonderful day. And I love that cap band. So pretty and delicate, it's like a tiny surprise.

Edited by Shimmershadow

"Feri ando payi sitsholpe te nauyas" -- Lovara saying

“She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows, and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.” Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Horrific and vulgar! :angry:

I assume they are aiming for the American market, quite clearly. :rolleyes:

Take off the powdered wig and grow a pair. There is a lot more to the experience of life than pale imitations of bygone days. Mr. Simpole has a long history of supremely artistic designs, meticulously and carefully crafted. Having seen enough documentation of his level of skill and world-class performance, I'd say he has more than earned the right to conceive and execute any stylism he sees fit.

I'm an American, it isn't my cup of tea (or dram of single malt), and I much prefer vintage perspectives, so you are off the mark with your lame-ass crack, which has been duly noted.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

JonSzanto can come sit in my comfy chair. ;)

(Single malt of his choice on the side table)

~~Larry Brown

Auuugh so many not-quite-PG jokes...

This is what happens when I don't sleep for half the week.

"Feri ando payi sitsholpe te nauyas" -- Lovara saying

“She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows, and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.” Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell

Ahem! Keep it PG people. Or you'll be GPed.

(Snicker)

I'm still snickering.... :P

~~Larry Brown