Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

Just got back fro a rather damp cold day up at Portobello Road. :embarrassed_smile:

A surprising number of people seemed interested in my overlaid pens, some from the UK, and others from Europe, and the USA. So I handed out plenty of pamphlets, and WES application forms, which both seemed to be very welcomely received.

Along with a few vintage pens that were offered to me, it was quite a satisfying day.

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

It's so sunny and warm here it feels like Spring.

Hope you're warm and well Truffle. :)

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Esterbex, if you are referring to our 'Temperate' climate over here in Blighty, then I'm afraid my answer is 'No', it's very cold, and minor roads are not easily negotiated.

In fact, I was booked to give a talk tomorrow afternoon, but the organiser telephoned last night to tell me that she had decided to cancel the meeting because of the road conditions on that side of London.

So maybe I'll be making a snowman instead!

Truffle Finder. :embarrassed_smile:

I have got some very good news!

Some might be wondering why I think that I should write about this on here, but I am just so happy to have solved a problem this afternoon and I just have to tell someone somewhere

Over the weekend, the washing machine gave up the ghost, and as much as I tried to coax !t back to life, it didn't want to know.

I phoned my old friend George, who is situated in Walthamstow [he's my hairdresser BTW!] he is the man who commissioned the first "Lady with Lillies" pen years ago! Anyway, apart from being an excellent hairdresser, he is pretty well known by pretty well all the traders in the locality, so I asked himif he could help with regards to buying another washing machine.

I went over there, and straight away, he introduced his friend, and he then told me about the various machines that he would recommend and so, tomorrow morning he is going to bring it over to install it, and take away the old machine.

I suppose the only reason for writing about this here, is that it is connected to pens by virtue of the Lady with lillies pen, wqhich I had made for George!

Sorry about that!

No need to apologise. Many of us will sympathise with the dreadful predicament caused by the demise of a washing machine. With three children in our household, a washing machine is not a luxury, but a necessity, and this was even more so when we were caring for my mother-in-law. I vividly remember the day the machine died, my husband rang me at work and I went home via a purveyor of such necessities. I had to take the best of their current stock that fitted the space, and had to plead with them to help me put it in the back of my Land Rover.

You are lucky to have such a good source of contacts, and he is just as lucky to know the creator of such wonderful designs.

Thank you so much 'View from the loft!'

And there was me thinking that people would be thinking that I had lost my mind, by putting that on this thread!

Thank you also for the comment about my pens, obviously very good taste!

Washing machines take a very important place in the heart of the household - especially when 'er indoors is involved. Many moons ago when my children were small we managed to wear out the drum and bearings on our washing machine. Money was incredibly tight at the time but I managed to charm some demolition workers, who were dismantling an electrical retail shop after a disastrous fire, to search the fire-torn basement for a similar machine. Bless them they found one and loaded it into the back of my car for the princely sum of £15 when new drums were around £85 and I fitted it myself. The machine lasted another 5 years or so before we got tired of looking at it and bought a more modern machine.

I am now on the lookout for a burnt-out pen shop because as appreciative of these fabulous designs as I am, it is about the only chance I will ever have of owning such a work of art. :roflmho: Definitely my Holy Grail pen but as I approach enforced retirement it must remain a dream.

Keep up the excellent work though.

Pens and paper everywhere, yet all our hearts did sink,

Pens and paper everywhere, but not a drop of ink.

"Cursive writing does not mean what I think it does"

I say!!!!!

Maybe the new washing machine can have an overlay???? :roflmho:

Seriously though, a washing machine is exactly what Mike and 'view from the loft' claim,, a necessity!

I hope no fires burn in London.....that aren't in fireplaces.....as fires are still the topic here in Oz!

We comfort ourselves with looking at big maps..... :puddle: :clap1: :bonk: :P :bunny01:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

We comfort ourselves with looking at big maps..... :puddle: :clap1: :bonk: :P :bunny01:

thumbup.gifwink.gif

~~Larry Brown

The great news today, is that the washing machine has been installed, the old machine has been removed to the big laundry in the sky! And I have already done two trial loads of washing, and it's great!!! :rolleyes:

Today at Portobello, I met quite a few new customers, and sold quite a few vintage pens, which I did not really expect, although the weather is certainly milder than it has been, I didn't expect to see so many people up there today.

A good day considering. :embarrassed_smile:

Off down to Cornwall tomorrow morning, Dentist appointment primarily, but it will be nice to catch up with business matters while I'm down that way!

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes: Weather permitting!!!

Henry I am pleased that your washing woes are at an end.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EMPTY-CANTEEN-FOR-CUTLERY-/111005569332?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Kitchen_Cutlery_PP&hash=item19d8729134

I saw this box for sale and thought you might like to see it.

Michael

Edited by my63

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

Whoa....looks strangely familiar, no? hmm1.gif

I too am happy washer woes have ended....for the most part....Too bad they don't come with a robot to do the loading and unloading and sorting, etc.glare.gif

But one must be grateful for the little things....roflmho.gif

~~Larry Brown

Whenever I come down here to Cornwall, I have problems getting online, [even over the road at the Hotel across the road, but having overcome that barrier, I then found that I had to re-register on here, before I could write anything here!!!

A good friend of mine has found a Conway Stewart No:20, with a Gold-filled overlay, so I am meeting with him, and I'm hoping to buy it from him!

I'll keep you posted!

If someone would write their password down where they could remember to find it they would have a much easier time of it. :rolleyes:

~~Larry Brown

I had a very pleasant surprise waiting for me when I returned home from work today: my CS75 that Henry has re-sacred for me. It's always fun to ink up a new pen!

A "Sacred" pen Eh? View from the loft.

I hope everything was alright with it!

Oops. Wretched autocorrect that I didn't spot. The pen is very nice, but writes a tad dry for my taste (but not so dry that it's not useable). I'll change the ink next time to Aurora Black and see how that combination does. The pen also attracted some comments at work today (why is it that lever fillers seem to attract attention more than any others?). I'm pleased to have found that you aren't that far from me, so getting pens to you is fairly painless.

The good news is that it's too small for my husband, but my daughter's reaction was "ooh, pretty pen". I have a feeling tis may be another pen going to one of our children on long tern loan, but I don't mind that as pens are for using, not sitting in a drawer. The only rule we impose is that my pens don't go to school, that's what Safaris are for.

As for your overlay pens, well, I can only dream and save my pennies. If I drop enough hints, I wonder if my husband will surprise me on our silver wedding anniversary in a few years?

View from the loft, if you find the 'dryness, really irritating [having tried some alternative inks] send it back to me, and I will adjust the flow for you.

Thanks for the comments about my pens!

Truffle Finder. :thumbup:

Soooo glad to see you got home safely Henry! :bunny01:

Back to the grindstone??? :roflmho:

Did you get to enjoy Lobster????

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!