• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

notworthy1.gifnotworthy1.gifnotworthy1.gif Such great pics of some great nibs! What camera did you use APersonofSorts?

And wow! Your first post too? I am just as green-eyed as Ghost Plane....wink.gif

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

notworthy1.gifnotworthy1.gifnotworthy1.gif Such great pics of some great nibs! What camera did you use APersonofSorts?

And wow! Your first post too? I am just as green-eyed as Ghost Plane....wink.gif

Hi esterbex, I used my compact camera, a Canon S90 for this, lit with a desk lamp. I am a photographer in addition to being a fountain pen addict, so the photographs don't look very good to me but was instead me being very lazy and not bothering with proper lighting and my SLR. Maybe when I have more time I will take some proper photographs of my pens, but for now I am rather busy, which also sadly means that I have not had much time to play with my new pens.

Hi esterbex, I used my compact camera, a Canon S90 for this, lit with a desk lamp. I am a photographer in addition to being a fountain pen addict, so the photographs don't look very good to me but was instead me being very lazy and not bothering with proper lighting and my SLR. Maybe when I have more time I will take some proper photographs of my pens, but for now I am rather busy, which also sadly means that I have not had much time to play with my new pens.

A Canon P&S.....wow! I am in the market for something small with zoom power....googling!

Thanks Person! thumbup.gif

~~Larry Brown

:W2FPN:

Welcome to 'apersonofsorts'!!! A flex lover and a photographer...and someone who just pops in to Portobello Road to see Henry.......I have to join GP in being totally envious. :sick: !

That is indeed a wonderful nib, and your writing is individual!?!! :blush: We all glow in our own little ways......gifted people are among us! :ph34r:

Please don't just lurk here, all the more the merrier, don't you know... :clap1:

Now I have to struggle with my pen angel about the pen left at the alter years ago! Why is Henry always unreadable at these times?

I hope the drive down to Cornwall was a breeze. :thumbup:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

A Canon P&S.....wow! I am in the market for something small with zoom power....googling!

Thanks Person! thumbup.gif

The canon S90 is quite expensive for a point and shoot but is a small camera for the times when I don't want to carry a big and heavy SLR. Though more expensive the Sony RX100 is supposed to be better, otherwise there is the canon s110, the much more updated model of the s90. Both will give near SLR quality but in a much smaller form factor, albeit with limitations in certain areas.

@Chris Chalmers

Thanks for the compliments(?) on my writing, sadly it is a bit confused at the moment, as it has only been less than a year since I have gotten into more calligraphy style writing after years of using normal nibs. It is constantly evolving as I am in the process of incorporating various different styles alongside my own chimeric creations, to produce my own type of writing that is both fast and easy to write, so that it can be used in everyday writing, whilst being aesthetically pleasing. Which as good as it sounds means it ends up being a bit disjointed, so the letters may not look quite belong together and I am working on creating something a bit more coherent. Hopefully with some practice I can get it to look more refined.

Edited by APersonOfSorts

Dear APersonOfParts! I didn't mean any offense by my comments, I love individualistic writing, and wish I could do better myself! Sometimes it does take a while to create this, it's taken me a out 65 years :roflmho:

Friends? :crybaby:

Make it count!!!

Dear APersonOfParts! I didn't mean any offense by my comments, I love individualistic writing, and wish I could do better myself! Sometimes it does take a while to create this, it's taken me a out 65 years :roflmho:

Friends? :crybaby:

Rest assured, I did not take any offense at your comments and sorry if my previous post had made you think that I did. I am not entirely sure what I mean by the last post, it seems to be a case of me rambling on, doing a bit of self-critique and not making any sense in the middle of the night.

Edited by APersonOfSorts

Excellent news! Lets start again! I like your writing style, don't try too hard to be perfect, the rest of us will be left far behind - hehehehe! :roflmho:

Make it count!!!

I think your script is lovely too. I like the way different nibs can change the character of the writing. I also like that you strive to develop your own signature style. Keep it up and keep us posted on your progress. I like written samples....get to see some nice inks. What is that beauty you're using in the photos?

~~Larry Brown

I think your script is lovely too. I like the way different nibs can change the character of the writing. I also like that you strive to develop your own signature style. Keep it up and keep us posted on your progress. I like written samples....get to see some nice inks. What is that beauty you're using in the photos?

Thanks for the encouragement and compliments. I too love the way that each nib has a unique character to them, in terms of the feeling when you write with it and the characteristics of the line it puts down. The ink I used is Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. I recently acquired it and is my first bottle of Noodler's ink, as they tend to be a bit hard to find and rather expensive in the UK at £12.50 or $20, it is more than twice as much as the Diamine inks. I am however glad that I bought it, as the colour is fantastic in addition to the wonderful shading that it gives, which has quickly made it one of my favourites.

Thanks for the encouragement and compliments. I too love the way that each nib has a unique character to them, in terms of the feeling when you write with it and the characteristics of the line it puts down. The ink I used is Noodler's Black Swan in Australian Roses. I recently acquired it and is my first bottle of Noodler's ink, as they tend to be a bit hard to find and rather expensive in the UK at £12.50 or $20, it is more than twice as much as the Diamine inks. I am however glad that I bought it, as the colour is fantastic in addition to the wonderful shading that it gives, which has quickly made it one of my favourites.

Wow....no wonder I like it. I have it too.:cloud9:

You know....the Truffle may be able to act as a courier for some Noodler's inks at the cheaper American price if you keep up with his American excursions.....Make a list of the ones you'd like and we may be able to hook you up....no VAT!!! He could deliver them to you at P'bello....:rolleyes:

Sorry Truffle if I've overstepped....but I just know you are such a helpful soul and probably wouldn't mind helping a customer friend out....:blush:

Edited by esterbex

~~Larry Brown

OK, so I posted this in the other thread....but I don't want it to be missed...The Spirit of Life overlay alongside a Parker Black Giant....The Spirit is longer, but that Parker nib is "humonkerous" ! puddle.gif

fpn_1354593865__299920_3830164684814_15542589_n.jpg

Photo compliments of those Byler boys.....smile.gif

~~Larry Brown

I think the Spirit is still longer. But the ink capacity of the fatter-barreled Giant is probably greater as it is an eyedropper. But wait! Did you tell me once you converted your SOL into an ED?hmm1.gif

~~Larry Brown

I'm just catching up on this thread... Esterbex, congratulations!!!!!! on your Spirit of Life! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Next to your Peter Pan pen, the Spirit looks like a baseball bat, ha! I liked seeing the photo of the miniature and the giant next to each other.

I'm just catching up on this thread... Esterbex, congratulations!!!!!! on your Spirit of Life! :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

Next to your Peter Pan pen, the Spirit looks like a baseball bat, ha! I liked seeing the photo of the miniature and the giant next to each other.

Me too! Let's see it again....tongue.gif And thank you....I finally feel fully-fledged! roflmho.gif

fpn_1354163714__2012-11-28_212526.jpg

~~Larry Brown

Yes, I did convert the Spirit pen to an ED by simply removing the converter and making sure the other end of the barrel was nice and leak- proof! The converters just can't keep up with ink supply for that IB CS nib, in my opinion. :thumbup: Others may disagree, and use their pens as they themselves wish,but all of my Simpole pens are now EDs when inked. Colour me weird! :wacko:

Strangely enough I've never wanted a Parker Giant pen. I guess you have to see one to want it. :blink:

Make it count!!!

I've never seen a Parker Giant in person. It looks nice enough, but I'd rather have one of Henry's overlays!

I'm back from the woolly wilds of Cornwall!

Thankfully no sign of snow, despite the forecast saying that various parts of the country were being sprinkled with some of it!

Sadly no pens were bought at the Tuesday Tavistock market, but I did meet up with my friend Derrick, and a reasonable breakfast was had at a local cafe, but other than my usual visit to the Unit in an Antiques Centre in Plymouth, that was my only 'Pen-business'. :embarrassed_smile:

When I went across the road to theTavistock Arms yesterday, the landlord asked me if I was going to be 'around' on the Thursday after Christmas, because he was putting on an 'open-mike' amateur night, [and, 'Did I still play the drums?'!!!]

I'll give it some thought, but it has been a while since I've played!

We'll see! :embarrassed_smile:

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes: