Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

Voilà indeed!

From my understanding, the pen was unusable in its previous state and is also out of production?

Kudos for restoring it to use!

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

It was Waterman's most expensive pen in the normal range, a step above the Edson.

I have held it but was underwhelmed. The section is almost nonexistent, it is the small ring between that decoration and the nib. Quite awkward to hold when unscrewing to change inks. You hold the barrel, not the section.

The looks are a matter of taste.. I sort of like the looks, it reminds me of a Japanese Katana.

Because of the shape it will be difficult to repair. If Henry complained about the difficulties of making an overlay for the curved MBs he certainly will not be happy with this chore....

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Just over a week ago, I mentioned that a French Lady had approached me at my booth at Portobello, to ask if I would be prepared to show her how to make metal overlays for pens! I told her at the time that I would be prepared to do it.

This week, the lady turned up again at my stand, [along with her mother, who happens to be over here for a couple of weeks], and it was very clear to me that her enthusiasm has not dimmed since I saw her last time we met.

We left it that we would leave it until the New Year. Actually I'm quite looking forward to doing this as a project.

Truffle Finder. :)

I've just got off the phone, having talked to the lady owner of the French Watermans Serenite Pen which I repaired a little while ago.

She was amazed by the result! And was looking forward to being able to use the pen again.

She thanked me very much, and told me that her cheque would be in the post.

It is always so nice to hear such things vocally, as opposed to reading a letter.

Truffle Finder. :)

A couple of weeks ago, I was looking through the things on the top shelf of my safe, and I came across a small bag with two Snake patterned clips [in 18ct gold!] The emerald eyes had already been set in the eyes of the Snakes, so I immediately thought that I ought to get two Snake patterned body overlays done to match them.

Over the last two weeks, I have had them both cast, and the eyes have also been set, so now the next thing will be to get the base-pens made up.

They will certainly boost my basic stock of gold overlaid pens.

Truffle Finder. :) :excl:

The things you "re-discover"...... It's good that some of them are attached to your neck.... :lol:

~~Larry Brown

If you haven't read it, please do so now so that you're not caught unawares....The notice at the top of the page and linked here: Changes to FPN ;)

~~Larry Brown

Having 'cleared the decks' of the pen repairs which had come in over the last week, I decided to have a look around some of the small boxes of vintage pens which have been sitting around in my workshop.

I struck lucky when I opened a Thornton's Chocolate box on one of the shelves near the work-bench. There must have been about 40 odd vintage pens in there,, and I looked at them more closely, and sorted out about 20 of them which are definitely worth cleaning up and repairing.

So far, I have done about five of them, and I am hoping that the others will be done by the end of the day!

They will make a nice addition to my basic stock!

Truffle finder. :)

Take a guess what I found in another one of the storage boxes?

A Watermans 94, in red agate [or onyx, I can't quite remember!] which in true Watermans tradition had lost it's clip, and needed a replacement No4 nib to be fitted.

I looked through my Watermans spares draw, and found a 'mint' clip on a black propelling pencil, and then set about doing the work on it.

It is now sitting firmly on a piece of 'Blue-Tack' beautifully cleaned and polished, waiting for the glue to set, to keep the clip in place.

I can't wait to come down tomorrow morning, and inspect it! Something I always look forward to.

Truffle Finder. :) :D

Yesterday's trip to Portobello was a really enjoyable one.

I arrived at my usual time of 9.00am, and having 'opened up' my booth, I walked up to the fruit and veg market, and bumped in to 'Lady Francis' and her husband, who had come along to see me. So, we arranged to meet up again [after our fruit and vegetables had been bought], back at my stand. It was such a lovely surprise to see Francis again after such a long time. She left a few of her Parker 51's with me, that she wanted me to do some work on for her, [nib adjustments and ink flow tweaking mainly!]

I think that I have mentioned in the past, that there are a few 'general antiques dealers' at Portobello market who keep any vintage fountain pens that they find during the course of the week, to show me, and this week was a good one, in that one of the dealers showed me an Oversized Vacumatic [in silver striped pattern], and a 1930's green and black marbled lever filler Onoto with a number 4 nib, both of which I bought. Needless to say, that both of them have been fully restored, and are now in stock!

Several friends turned up during the rest of the day, and it was really nice to 'talk pens' with like-minded people.

All in all, a very satisfying day.

Truffle Finder. :) :excl:

Good morning everyone who might be looking at this thread on Christmas morning!

Merry Christmas!!!

I hope that it is a good one for you.

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes: :bunny01: :D

And a Merry Christmas to you as well. May it be filled with dreams of sugar plum fairies--covering your pens as inlays of course.

Post Script

It has only just dawned on me, that tomorrow is Saturday!

As a consequence I will of course be on parade up at my booth at Portobello, as usual.

There have not been any inquiries about whether or not I will be there tomorrow, but for some reason, I feel quite confident that it could be a good day, but only time will tell I suppose.

If there are as many people about in London as there were yesterday, you'll have a busy day! Happy Christmas!

In case I ever get time to pop over to Portobello Road, are you able to repair cracks near the clips of wood pens, eg Omas? In hope!

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Good morning BBS!

I can't honestly say whether I could do that sort of repair, but I would like to see it first anyway before attempting to do it.

Possibly see you up there then!

To all the fans of this topic

Has anyone heard of Henry Simpole?

As you may have noticed the admins and mods have changed a lot on the structure of FPN lately.

One of these changes is the closing of some of the huge mega-topics.

These topics are so large, that the server needs a lot of time to calculate the image you will get in your browser on screen.

The server is powerful enough, but it just takes more time to calculate 3000 posts as compared to 25 posts. This makes these topics react more sluggish.

Therefore we are closing the mega-topics and replacing them with new and vibrant child-topics.

The "Test-please ignore" and the "Clutter" topic in Chatter, and the "What pens are you using today" already have been rejuvenated, and more are to follow.

Now the Henry Simpole topic also has had a rejuvenation treatment.

The new topic is called:

Has Anyone Heard of Henry Simpole 2015

Click the above link to be teleported there.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~