• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

Mostly. With such notable failures in English to Farsi that an episode of "Bones" recently made fun of it when a character was writing Persian poetry. The translator said, "Your heart is my carburator" and the other characters spent part of the show trying to decide if it was a fault of the translator or if the poetry was really that bad. :roflmho:

Well the Persian version gave a satisfactory one.

You were right on the money...roflmho.gif

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Having woken up rather earlier than usual, I decided to get the remainder of the 70 odd cards written out and addressed for this year, it is really more of a relief to me now that the job has been done! It's not that I don't 'like' Christmas, but it does come at a price! I had done about half of the total number of the cards, and had had to stop, but fortunately, the extra time this morning gave me the impetus to finish the job! :rolleyes:

No doubt, as we approach the Christmas zenith, some more cards will arrive, and I will have to send off some 'emergency' cards in response, to people who weren't on the original list! But that is the name of the game, I suppose.

:rolleyes:

Can I take this opportunity to wish everybody here a very Merry Christmas, and a great New Year! :rolleyes:

Truffle Finder. :thumbup: :unsure:

Edited by Truffle Finder

I am just so happy at the moment, I've pierced the barrel overlay of the Clouds House Pen, [it's taken me nearly all day today to do it!] so the next thing is to engrave it.

I usually get excited about my latest design while I'm working on it, but this one means rather more to me than most of my designs, but particularly because the people at Clouds House are so glad to have heard about what I am doing for them.

The pictures hopefully should be with Neal by tomorrow, and as a consequence, copies will appear here very shortly afterwards!

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes: :bunny01: :rolleyes:

'A person of sorts',[halfway down page 52!] has very kindly sent me a pen and ink drawing of a tree in the countryside, [it looks as though it is as a 'sunset scene']. He obviously enjoyed his visit to my booth at Portobello Market a couple of weeks ago, and wanted to thank me for my 'patience' [although I didn't find it an imposition!] while he was trying the pens.

The local charity shop usually has some framed pictures in stock, so I went in there, and found one of the right size, and transferred his lovely picture into the recycled frame! It now is hung on the wall in my workshop.

Aren't 'Pen People' nice? :embarrassed_smile:

Thank you, 'Apersonofsorts'! :rolleyes:

Truffle Finder.

Earlier on this evening, I was browsing around on this forum, and saw Watch Art's post about a Japanese gentleman, decorating a pen with tiny pieces of mother of pearl.

It was fascinating, and I knew as soon as I saw the film, that I've got to try to do something along those lines.

I don't know how long it will take me to do something like that, but I will have to try it.

Just thought I would tell about the film, it's well worth the look, it goes on for about 15minutes I think.

Truffle Finder.

Earlier on this evening, I was browsing around on this forum, and saw Watch Art's post about a Japanese gentleman, decorating a pen with tiny pieces of mother of pearl.

It was fascinating, and I knew as soon as I saw the film, that I've got to try to do something along those lines.

I don't know how long it will take me to do something like that, but I will have to try it.

Just thought I would tell about the film, it's well worth the look, it goes on for about 15minutes I think.

Truffle Finder.

Sea Shell Inlay video

Looks tedious and intricate! notworthy1.gif

~~Larry Brown

Having rummaged around in the loft, to search out a small mother of pearl reasonably shallow sea shell, I have been working on my first attempt at doing a sea shell inlay.

First I cut out a tiny diamond shape, then [having dropped the precious piece of shell on the floor, and then spent an inordinate amount of time looking for it!] I tried to cut a hole in the hard rubber barrel of an old Parker Duofold, 'approximately' the same shape and size of the piece of Mother of Pearl.

Easier said than done! The actual shape is hard enough to do, but then there is the 'depth' of the hole! I can't help admiring the skill of that gentleman in the film! He obviously has the advantage of having 'cut out', and 'dug out' the holes, and the piece of shell, so he 'knows' whether it will fit before he puts one into the other! I take my hat off to him!

Being a fairly determined person, I will continue with the project, having faith in the expression, that 'practice makes perfect'!

Truffle Finder. :thumbup:

sent me a pen and ink drawing of a tree in the countryside

Hi Henry, that was me ;) Alex. I just joined the forum a few weeks ago and noticed this thread. I'm really happy you liked the picture.

The two pens I got from you on the day are brilliant, I 'm using them all the time. Those mint nibs are just wonderful, gliding across the paper.

I was thinking, you know that nib I was lusting after, the one we thought must have been a dip pen nib, realllly flexible and big. It was tough getting the ink to flow consistently and you thought maybe drilling a breather hole would help. I know you're a busy guy and there's no rush at all but I was thinking if you do have any luck with it you can always send me a message on this forum. What a pen that will be if it can be done :puddle:

Cheers Henry,

Alex

Hi Henry! The skill of the Raden inlay work will no doubt come to you....... with practice, but you will need to be very patient. Please post photos as you progress! :notworthy1: :bunny01:

How goes the Cloud House overlay? :puddle:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

I left the house this morning, with the umbrella up, and the wind blowing in my face, and arrived at Portobello reasonably dry considering the weather conditions!

Sadly the weather must have put some people off coming up there for a browse, as the street was quite easy to walk around, whereas usually it is rather crowded by 10.30am onwards!

Business could hardly have been called 'brisk'! A couple of people came up to pick up their pens after leaving them for me to repair, and they seemed very pleased with the results, which was nice!

I was offered a few more pre-used Mont Blanc fountain pens and ball points, and a triple black leather MB pen carrier, all of which will be cleaned up and ready to go into my overstocked selection of MB paraphernalia!!!

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes:

I left the house this morning, with the umbrella up, and the wind blowing in my face, and arrived at Portobello reasonably dry considering the weather conditions!

Sadly the weather must have put some people off coming up there for a browse, as the street was quite easy to walk around, whereas usually it is rather crowded by 10.30am onwards!

Business could hardly have been called 'brisk'! A couple of people came up to pick up their pens after leaving them for me to repair, and they seemed very pleased with the results, which was nice!

I was offered a few more pre-used Mont Blanc fountain pens and ball points, and a triple black leather MB pen carrier, all of which will be cleaned up and ready to go into my overstocked selection of MB paraphernalia!!!

Truffle Finder. :rolleyes:

If you come across any not suitable enough for your discriminating clientele, remember me....puddle.gif

Here's hoping the coming holidays are full of mirth and joy and good times for you and yours!

I can't wait to see images of any sort of the latest project.....bunny01.gif

~~Larry Brown

I think Henry's holding out on us. We need to see this overstock to determine if we can help relieve him of this, ahem, burden. :roflmho:

Now ladies!!!! Age first, so queue starts in Tasmania!! :roflmho:

seriously though, all good pens will find new owners, a bit like finding suitable homes for orphans :thumbup:

Have a wonderful Christmas everyone, it is past 6pm Christmas Eve here, and supper will be eaten soon!

The kitchen staff have worked very hard lately, as have the Post Office delivery staff.....one very pretty gift sitting here wrapped and waiting....temptingly :puddle: .

Love and Holy Peace to all!

Chris

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Major feasting here as a friend is recovering from surgery with me. We're keeping her strength up [and clearing the chocolate!] :puddle:

Now ladies!!!! Age first, so queue starts in Tasmania!!

Now, Now. His Royal Truffle Finder "owes me one" so the queue starts in California :-)

--

Glenn (love those pen posses)

Tenney, you're right, and I haven't forgotten, 'that I owe you one!'

But, not wishing to put a damper on things, the Mont Blancs that I am slightly overstock with, are the fairly mundane 142 sized fountain pens, and ball points!!!

I have got about 5 MB 149's and the same number of 146's F Pens, but they all pretty well have fairly 'normal' nibs in them, none of your 'hunoncorous' double broad italics, or obliques! :embarrassed_smile:

How long before you are coming over here again Tenney?

Don't worry! I still 'owe you one!' :thumbup:

Truffle Finder.