Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

Quite a party!

Today it's back to finishing the 'cap' overlays for the Onoto Plunger fillers!

It's funny, but I seem to have got so many things to do before I get going to the Columbus Ohio Pen Show, someone has asked me for a whole load of replacement nibs for various pens in his collection, which will take me quite a while to 'dig out' of my nibs-draw!!! Then I have got to prepare some sheet silver for the piercing demonstrating at the show, apart from the steady stream of pen repairs that are coming in at the moment, still, in these hard times, you mustn't grumble about being busy!

Truffle Finder. :thumbup:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

Reprieve, is Kevin a c/c filler? And what about Jasmin???

Kevin the Dragon is a c/c filler. I'm using Iroshizuku Momiji in the converter. In the IB nib, Momiji is a lovely reddish pink--perfect for dragon's breath! Jasmin is a button filler with an IF nib, but she is having a bit of an, um, incontinence problem (she drips all of her ink out) and so Henry is sending a new feed to see if that helps. She may have to have some spa time with Michael Masuyama in order to fully recover. The green and white Chatsworths are also c/c fillers (both have IB nibs). The green Chatsworth is inked with Herbin Vert Empire.

Well, you'll never guess what I've been doing?

You remember a good few month's ago now, I gave a talk to a group of gentlemen [under the Title of 'The 41 Club'], it was sometime in the summer of last year I believe, and I talked about how the simple hobby had developed into a complete change of my lifestyle, as well as giving them a sort of 'Potted History of the Fountain Pen' [which was incidently what they were expecting me to talk about! Not my personal 'Life-Story!]

Anyway, they thoroughly enjoyed my talk, judging by the response afterwards, and then the next day the organiser sent me an E-mail telling me that the conversation in the bar, after I had left the premises confirmed what I had thought, that they all felt that it was very interesting. Apparently, one of their members [who was over 80 years old] said that it was the most interesting story he had ever heard at their meetings, [bearing in mind that he had been a member, attending their meetings once a month for forty odd years! That was quite a compliment!]

Because of the response that I had on that occasion, I decided to include my personal story as well as the history of the fountain pen, and have been doing it like that ever since.

This evening, when the lady came over to me afterwards, to thank me personally, she said that her husband had been the gentleman who had booked me for the 41 Club, and that he had told her that I was very good, and she wanted me to know that she thought so too!

After my hard day's work today, doing the Onoto Overlays, it really 'made my day' that she was so pleased with the talk.

For anybody out there who is reading this, who might from time to time be asked to give a talk about our hobby, my advice is to keep the subject matter in as simple and as easy to understand manner as possible [unless of course you are speaking to fellow 'Pen Nuts' who want to listen to technical details!] and do not be frightened to include the 'human interest' side of the story; to the 'lay person', it is much more easy to listen to, and for them to 'take in'!

Sermon over, now I must get off to bed, I feel 'Dog Tired!'

Truffle Finder. :embarrassed_smile: :thumbup:

Wow Henry!

You do get around.......... and I'm sure anyone listening to you tell your story of life, pens and all would be in heaven!!! I am jealous now, but have a few pens to compensate - :bunny01: :bunny01: :bunny01:

When I get my act together here I will gather the inked pens together and let them show their skills!

Please don't hold your breath though, I do a lot of 'up and down stairs' with even more 'what did I come up/down here for?' each day. Yes.........exercise is good too! :roflmho:

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Kevin the Dragon is a c/c filler. I'm using Iroshizuku Momiji in the converter. In the IB nib, Momiji is a lovely reddish pink--perfect for dragon's breath! Jasmin is a button filler with an IF nib, but she is having a bit of an, um, incontinence problem (she drips all of her ink out) and so Henry is sending a new feed to see if that helps. She may have to have some spa time with Michael Masuyama in order to fully recover. The green and white Chatsworths are also c/c fillers (both have IB nibs). The green Chatsworth is inked with Herbin Vert Empire.

Poor Jasmin! :unsure: I'm sure when you get the new feed from Henry she will be fine! I don't see why she would need a trip to Mike...........lovely man that he is.......... you should be able to do that little local surgery on your own!! :thumbup:

Make it count!!!

Poor Jasmin! :unsure: I'm sure when you get the new feed from Henry she will be fine! I don't see why she would need a trip to Mike...........lovely man that he is.......... you should be able to do that little local surgery on your own!! :thumbup:

Not everyone is as fearless and finger-feisty as thee good woman! Too bad Henry doesn't have a video clip to assist the adventurous....Oh the possibilities....Maybe there is one on youtube....everything else is! Google time! :eureka:

ETA: How to change a nib!

ETAA: Henry will need to verify if this will work on his your pen. :embarrassed_smile:

Edited by esterbex

God is seldom early, never late, and always on time.

~~Larry Brown

Henry was kind enough to call on the telephone (so nice of him!) a few days ago and he patiently explained how to remove the feed collar from the section, and how to remove the nib from the feed. So that part should be pretty straightforward. The trip to Michael would be for nib customization--I may want a bit more italic on my italic nib. :)

Two fearless finger-feisty Simpoleans....I will be waiting for pics and dancing bunnies....Will you be converting Kevin to an ED as well, reprieve?

~~Larry Brown

To sooth...................or make you more impatient? A few fast scribbles with the four Simpole pens I have inked right now! As usual I have a witness - :roflmho:

http://dxlab.ky1v.com/zzz/B1.jpg

Make it count!!!

Guess who went to the Fish Restaurant for lunch?

I had grilled Cod fillet, with potted shrimps! Delicious! I was pleased to be able to tell 'The Man From Onoto' that the Plunger-filler Onoto overlays were ready for Assaying and numbering.

Which was probably very good news for him to know, as they appear to be selling as fast as we can produce them! :bunny01:

See Yawll!!! :thumbup:

Truffle Finder.

Guess who went to the Fish Restaurant for lunch?

I had grilled Cod fillet, with potted shrimps! Delicious! I was pleased to be able to tell 'The Man From Onoto' that the Plunger-filler Onoto overlays were ready for Assaying and numbering.

Which was probably very good news for him to know, as they appear to be selling as fast as we can produce them! :bunny01:

See Yawll!!! :thumbup:

Truffle Finder.

Speaking of....swiped from another thread!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1319592203__post-1426-0-59540100-1318413806.jpeg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1319592359__post-1426-0-19008400-1318413838.jpeg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1319592459__post-1426-0-13083600-1318413822.jpeg

~~Larry Brown

Lovely writing samples, Chris! I particularly like the Omas Grey + R&K Verdigris mix. How much Grey do you add to the Verdigris?

Thanks for posting those photos of the Onoto plunger. I am so interested in that pen, but I cannot find any information about it! Is the cap threaded? Do you have to unscrew the plunger valve in order to maintain ink flow (I suppose a better way to put this is: does the plunger have an ink shut off feature (like Pilot's Custom 823)?)? How can I purchase it? I don't even see it listed on Onoto's site.

Thanks for posting those photos of the Onoto plunger. I am so interested in that pen, but I cannot find any information about it! Is the cap threaded? Do you have to unscrew the plunger valve in order to maintain ink flow (I suppose a better way to put this is: does the plunger have an ink shut off feature (like Pilot's Custom 823)?)? How can I purchase it? I don't even see it listed on Onoto's site.

I had asked Henry about this pen, as it intrigues me also.....He sent me a link to

this announcement from Onoto:

Announcing....

And it does have a shut-off valve!

ETA: Slip-on cap....no threads.

Edited by esterbex

~~Larry Brown