Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

PM sent with links. Darned board won't let me upload a scan of what I have in mind.

No problem - got them OK - PM'd you back.

George

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

Wow GhostPlane, this is going to be something special to watch if it gets made - what a challenge - and what a delight for all of us!!! I love the idea of having a prayer in my hand every time I use a pen - !!!!!

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Just one of those ideas that gets into your head. I've got to have a serious look at my pen collection to see what can make room to make this happen.

Still at the knocking around to see what's feasible stage. Once that's established, it'll be down to serious designs. I'll have to get with folks who know calligraphy and figure if an entire verse will fit, or just one line. Then there's the artistic side - keeping it legible, but pretty.

My faith teaches that art is a form of worship. If we do this, I know Henry's part definitely will qualify! Just have to make sure the design/verse I give him is worthy.

After studying his site and all the examples of his work - including the initials of people he includes in the delicate scrollwork - I am really looking forward to seeing what eventuates. Even those three letters that say it all would be wonderful - and imagine holding "God" in your hand!!!! Without knowing your Faith - I'm sure I'm not offending by using that name.........we all worship him - whatever name given by our Faith.

Make it count!!!

Well done, GP! I'm sure that you will keep us posted.

Chris - Yes, maybe I will incorporate the word 'God' in my next Henry Simpole bespoke!

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

I'm Baha'i. Anyone who wants to discuss with me offline, let's not violate board rules with religious discussions. I'm open to God, Allah, or whatever you call the Creator in your language.

But back to the pen design, I think between Henry's artistic talents, the lovely calligraphy of the three languages [Farsi, Arabic, or English] I'm looking at, and the various symbols of my faith, we should be able to come up with something lovely. Even the background color of the pen can carry symbolism, so it's something to think about as well.

Chris, I think you're onto something. Henry might be able to make runs out of several of our ideas. I think it would be a lovely thing to share with the world's pen lovers.

Hi GhostPlane and George!

I wonder if when George goes to see Henry (lucky thing!) soon, he could ask him about this possibility - and I would also like George to tell Henry that I've done the Tendril conversion to an ED - with just using silicone on the threads at the barrel end joint - and have filled it with Herbin Violette Pensee...........yipee!

I'm so looking forward to the report of this visit - and the photos too!

Can I be a Jimminy Cricket and sit on your shoulder please?

Make it count!!!

Chris

Hoping to get over to Henry this week-end - waiting for him to confirm.

Yes, of course I will ask him about that possibility - will get back to you on it, and I will pass on your message to him.

Watch this space.

George

Welllllllllllllll? Here's your hat - what's your hurry???

I hope you have a great time when you do get to visit him!

Make it count!!!

I wonder if he could make a limited run of these???

I'd be interested. The idea of a pen inscribed with different evocations of God, Allah, etc is a great one, especially in these times when there is so much distrust about other people's religions by uninformed people. {Hope this doesn't offend anyone!]

I admired Chris's enviable Simpoles at the melbourne pen show. They are beautiful. I nearly brought one on the spot from the CS stand, but fortunately I don't look as if I have that much money to impulsively spend, so they didn't pay much attention to me, so I didn't. More fools them for losing a sale. I would now buy directly from Henry Simpole. OK, stop fooling myself. I will buy directly from Henry Simpole.

Hi Guys

I am going to see Henry tomorrow morning - I will have a word with him about this. What exactly do you have in mind? Is it a pen with an overlay having the various names of God in different languages?

I would think that Henry would like a little direction on what is envisaged. I am sure that many things are possible but obviously the more complicated the design becomes the more work has to go into it and hence the cost increases.

Let me have some positive design ideas and descriptions and I will bring them up with him and report back.

George

I'll let the others pick up the God design and carry on with mine, for now. I suspect watching my process will provide inspiration. Once Henry and I settle on something, I'm more than happy to share the design with others if there's interest. I'm not after exclusivity but a masterpiece I can use the rest of my life and would be thrilled to know others loved it as much and wanted one.

I view my process as:

1] discover what's possible [where we are now]

2] choose the prayer and/or symbol

3] work with Henry's artistic talent to come up with a final design

4] quote out what it'll take in time and cost/materials

5] acquire the dosh & hand it over

6] turn Henry loose and await the masterpiece

I'll let the others pick up the God design and carry on with mine, for now. I suspect watching my process will provide inspiration. Once Henry and I settle on something, I'm more than happy to share the design with others if there's interest. I'm not after exclusivity but a masterpiece I can use the rest of my life and would be thrilled to know others loved it as much and wanted one.

I view my process as:

1] discover what's possible [where we are now]

2] choose the prayer and/or symbol

3] work with Henry's artistic talent to come up with a final design

4] quote out what it'll take in time and cost/materials

5] acquire the dosh & hand it over

6] turn Henry loose and await the masterpiece

Well planned out Ghost - the question wasn't meant for you as I think you know, I am aware of the seeds of your idea. I will show them to Henry tomorrow and start the process off towards fruition at no 1) above.

It was the other idea that has been mooted here - I can suggest it to Henry, but he will need to have something a little bit less airey if he is to say whether or not it is possible.

George

[size="5"]Henry Simpole is not only a gentleman and scrupulously honest trader, he is also an outstanding creative artist.

It should be emphasised that each of his lovely pens is an individual work to which many many hours have been devoted. Hour for hour he is underpaid.

His knowledge of the Art Nouveau period and such artists as Mucha provide the basis for the designs, each of which begin with many sketches and research. His skill with the sterling silver (and sometimes mixtures of yellow, white and red gold) is that of th dedicated craftsman. Above all he has the eye and self-discipline of the artist.

For anyone considering the purchase of a Henry Simpole pen I'll add that they always increase in value and as well as being a joy for the present are an asset for the future.

I have no commercial connection with Mr Simpole - just a happy customer over many years.

Solitaire [/size]

Edited by solitaire