Has Anyone Heard Of Henry Simpole?

GeorgeWP

I'm so glad someone posted some photos of Henry and his pens!!!

I have three..........but no bespoke - although you could say my vermeil Tendril is near enough bespoke!

He is indeed a man with talent.

I hear the exhibition at the Goldsmiths Hall is going very well.

Keep it up Henry...the world needs more like you.:D

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Truffle Finder

• esterbex

• Ghost Plane

• Chris Chalmers

For me, Henry Simpole = awesome Conway Stewart overlays. Must have been quite the experience meeting him!

Edited by I am not a number
name typo

Montblanc 145, F nib
Faber Castell E-Motion in Pearwood, F nib
Montblanc 149, F nib
Visconti Divina Proporzione 1618, S nib
Montblanc Cool Blue Starwalker, EF nib
Montblanc Solitaire Silver Barley BP
Montblanc Rouge et Noir Coral, M nib

I have three..........but no bespoke - although you could say my vermeil Tendril is near enough bespoke!

Can't get enough of a good thing eh!

Tell me Chris, so you use them, or keep them on display.

If you use them - tell us what it is like to write with them.

George

For me, Henry Simpole = awesome Conway Stewart overlays. Must have been quite the experience meeting him!

It is.

Quite a few of the FPN members at the London Show met up with him - not just me.

He is a super guy, so modest and quiet, very friendly and willing to speak about his pens and the work that goes into them without the slightest hint of superiority or bigheadedness - a very rare person indeed considering his (unknown to him) standing. As I mentioned before he couldn't quite get to grips with the fact that he was so well known.

I hope that you get the chance to shake his hand sometime.

George

Edited by I am not a number
name typo

I happened to be in London a few years ago and brought a special overlay pen to Henry for repair. He did a wonderful job on it. It was a pleasure to meet Henry. He seemed genuinely surprised that some guy from California knew he could repair an overlay pen.

I happened to be in London a few years ago and brought a special overlay pen to Henry for repair. He did a wonderful job on it. It was a pleasure to meet Henry. He seemed genuinely surprised that some guy from California knew he could repair an overlay pen.

Yes Paul, to me, as well as it seems, to a lot of other people, it is incredible that he isn't aware of his fame.

This thread, as you have probably gathered, is my tongue in cheek tribute to that.

It is a great pity that there aren't more people in this world that have that kind of humility.

After coming in contact with various big-heads who very often know very little, or have limited talents and are so full of themselves, it is so refreshing to meet a person like Henry.

George

Edited by GeorgeWP

Can't get enough of a good thing eh!

Tell me Chris, so you use them, or keep them on display.

If you use them - tell us what it is like to write with them.

George

Hi George!

Do I use them?????????!!

Yes! The smallest is the Parker Acanthus Leaf that Henry made as an LE for Simon at Battersea Pen Home - it has a fine italic factory nib that is very sweet - I was a snob about modern Parkers until I tried this one.

The next is the CS Simpole with a CS Medium italic - and I use this pen as an ED - it has never been dry since it landed - filled with Diamine Sapphire - and perfectly wonderful writer.

Then I asked for a Tendril from Henry's site - he only made six of them with silver overlay, and had sold the last one the day before I emailed, so he rang me (so sweet) and agreed to make me a vermeil Tendril - with another CS medium italic - same class of writing........absolutely huge pens - the largest in my whole collection, but perfectly balanced and I write and write with these.........used every day! Go ahead and get yourself one - you won't be sorry - I promise!!! The only reason I haven't asked for others is that I would somehow feel guilty about giving these three competition - if that makes sense!!! I really envy you living so close - but maybe being in Tasmania makes my life easier..........or I'd be on his doorstep all the time!! edited to correct spelling!

Edited by Chris Chalmers

Make it count!!!

Hi George!

Do I use them?????????!!

Yes! The smallest is the Parker Acanthus Leaf that Henry made as an LE for Simon at Battersea Pen Home - it has a fine italic factory nib that is very sweet - I was a snob about modern Parkers until I tried this one.

The next is the CS Simpole with a CS Medium italic - and I use this pen as an ED - it has never been dry since it landed - filled with Diamine Sapphire - and perfectly wonderful writer.

Then I asked for a Tendril from Henry's site - he only made six of them with silver overlay, and had sold the last one the day before I emailed, so he rang me (so sweet) and agreed to make me a vermeil Tendril - with another CS medium italic - same class of writing........absolutely huge pens - the largest in my whole collection, but perfectly balanced and I write and write with these.........used every day! Go ahead and get yourself one - you won't be sorry - I promise!!! The only reason I haven't asked for others is that I would somehow feel guilty about giving these three competition - if that makes sense!!! I really envy you living so close - but maybe being in Tasmania makes my life easier..........or I'd be on his doorstep all the time!! edited to correct spelling!

Thanks Chris.

I often wondered about that. I know that Henry produces his pens to be used, but I can also understand people not doing that and just having them on display.

After reading you wax so lyrical about them, I want one even more - especially with those nibs!

My wife is going to Goldsmiths Hall today and taking a work colleague (also an FP user) to see Henry's work.

George

Edited by MYU

Hi George,

I'm so envious!!! I would love to shake Henry's hand. Actually, I would love to give him a big hug :)

I can't wait to get my bespoke. On top of that, Bryant has found me a CS Simpole, so you can understand my excitement!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Regards,

Soki

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Hi George,

I'm so envious!!! I would love to shake Henry's hand. Actually, I would love to give him a big hug :)

I can't wait to get my bespoke. On top of that, Bryant has found me a CS Simpole, so you can understand my excitement!

Thanks for starting this thread!

Regards,

Soki

Hi Soki

Glad that you have enjoyed the thread. I must admit that I have.

I am sure your pens will live up to expectation and beyond - enjoy using them.

George

I happen to be very familiar with Henry Simpole and his overlaid fountain pens.He is [as most people seem to agree] a very unassuming guy, who 'Loves' doing what he does with pens! [Which he also 'loves'!]

In a previous life he used to work in the Hotel Management business, and later embarked on his 'hobby' of fountain pen collecting.[This is on his website by the way] He learnt how to repair and restore them.[This was while he was working as a chef in private houses!]

I happen to know that he feels strongly that when he is cooking[i have eaten many of his creations]the main ingredient is 'Love'.

I am sure that he feels the same way about the pen over-lays which he works on.This man loves his work which he has often said he would still be doing it if he had to "Go back to work."

I am also sure that the reason he may not be as aware as most seem to be of his 'presence' in the funny ' world of pens' is simply because he only 'came-out ! ' and bought a computer a few months ago, having said that he didn't need one for the last ten or more years! He still does not own a mobile phone! He is a true Anachronism! He likes almost anything that is 'old,and/or beautiful', anything 'New' he regards with suspicion unless it is an improvement on whatever preceeded the 'New'

thing!

I think it was very good of you G.W.Parker for starting this 'Thread', if Henry sees it he will be overwhelmed!

Yours,

Truffle Finder.

If I lived 2 miles from Henry Simpole, I would be the demon neighbor! Knocking at 2am, requesting scrollwork on my sterlings! MMMMmmmm!!!! Awesome news, and I do have one of his pens on my "dude, just get it" list.

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

I'm sitting in my office (which is by a nice, quiet ventilation shaft in the Death Star) and eating a pot noodle. Reading about fine food and even finer craftsmanship reminds me why I work, it's so that I can afford the things that are described in this thread. A Henry Simpole is currently at the top of my next acquisition list and it is unlikely to move.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

Guess what - I will be going round to Henry's and visiting his workshop soon - in the next few weeks.

Just telling you all that to make you as jealous as hell !!!!!!!!!!!

I am thinking that I had better take plenty of money with me,

Nuff said eh!

George

I too was one of the woefully uninformed.

But OMG! Now I truly know what a 'grail pen' is!

Thanks, George.

Edited by escribo

I may not have been much help, but I DID bump your thread up to the top.

Hello again, I go now I come back! In case anyone wants to see more fully about this man's work, I suggest you go to his web-site which is at:-www.henrysimpole.com Enjoy!He adds more 'stuff' as he makes it so there is very often new things to see there.

Truffle Finder.

• 3 weeks later...

I have posted about Henry in the CS forum. Teh man is a genius. I have one bespoke pen from him, one CS "henry Simpole" and am right now dreaming up a new custom design. I am glad to see he has a following here.

Congratulations George - on being a friend of Henry and for having his very first bespoke overlay pens - Lady of the Lillies is a wonderful design. How I envy you being so close to such a talented bloke! I hope you can get another pen without having to sell yours, I'm sure you will regret it later!

Make it count!!!

I'm pleased to read that my dear friend Henry is now achieving the recognition that his individual masterpieces undoubtedly deserve. I have the privilege of being Henry's photographer and website manager, and have been lucky enough to see all of his creations from the very start of his pensmith journey. His vision and creativity never ceases to amaze and I have seen his craftsmanship develop to a level that is admired by silversmiths and jewelers who have been in the business for decades. The pens that are created by Henry in his tiny workshop in London are the absolute Holy Grail of modern fountain pens and are without doubt the unique heirlooms of tomorrow. You just can't buy anything with such rariety and desirability for the money.

As soon as I can I will select a few images of Henry's work that have probably not been seen before - not even by Henry(!) - that feature trial shots and designs that may interest viewers. In the meantime, if you haven't already done so please do visit www.henrysimpole.com and have a look around. There is a guestbook facility that you may also like to read and to have your say too.

I think his work is absolutely the best, an artist and a living legend, he will surely become part of fountain pen history. I´d love to meet him one day.