'ello, From Miami

danniebenedi

My name is Dannie. I'm quite obsessed with fountain pens. I have one beginner's caligrapy pen, however; I don't have many fountain pens. It's quite disappointing. They're all so expensive. Of course, I don't know anything about them so far, only that they're beautiful and quite historic, and much nicer to write with than ballpoint pens.

I recently have grown an attraction for writing in cursive, which is not common for people my age (I am a teenager), as there is very little emphasis placed on handwriting. I personally see that as disappointing and wish more emphasis was placed on producing your own unique cursive script would be extremely beneficial to society and literature. But I can't do much for that, now, can I?

If anyone can tell me a bit more about fountain pen basics, I'd be quite delighted.

- Dannie

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• spotted and speckled

• Michael W

• danniebenedi

• gross

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Welcome to FPN!! Read through the forums and you will learn lots of stuff! Cheers Mike

Parker

51 set

21 set

21 Desk sets

Sheaffer

Preludes F M BP

Imperials

Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman

Craftsmen

No-Nonsense M Italic

Reform 1745

Waterman Phileas F M

Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

Hello and welcome to the Fountain Pen Network. We are glad to have you with us. Here you will find a enormous treasure trove of information about fountain pens and things relating to them. Check out the different forums. Anything you do not find already listed in the forums, ask about and the members will be glad to supply you with the information or the sites you need to search to find it.

You mention that you do not have any fountain pens because "they are all so expensive." Here is you first bit of useful information. They are not all expensive unless you consider ten dollars expensive. For less than thirty dollars, there are a great many new fountain pens that write very well. It is true, the more expensive pens get the most notice both by catching the eye and in terms of information printed about them. I have written for many years with fountain pens and own quite a few very fine ones. Yet, none of my pens would be considered by the members of this network nor by the general public as expensive. Don't let the idea that to be a good fountain pen a fountain pen must be expensive because it is not true. There is some debate (at least a little debate) as to whether those oh so expensive fountain pens write as well as the cheap fountain pens. There is no debate that the expensive fountain pens are better eye candy. But this is all something you will sort out over the years if you will only stay with the Fountain Pen Network and the use of fountain pens. Personally, I can't advise you concerning expensive fountain pens because, as I have already admitted, I don't own any.

Again, welcome.

-gross

Let us endeavor to live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. -Mark Twain

My apologies. I should have mentioned (as gross has)that indeed you do not have to break the bank to enjoy fountain pens. And even inexpensive ones can be quite beautiful. Cheers and Good Luck Mike

Edited by Michael W

Parker

51 set

21 set

21 Desk sets

Sheaffer

Preludes F M BP

Imperials

Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman

Craftsmen

No-Nonsense M Italic

Reform 1745

Waterman Phileas F M

Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

Welcome to FPN! Basics? Where to start! Cheap. I just picked up a Pilot "Varsity" at my local Community College Bookstore a coupe of weeks ago. About $2.50. Only thing is that it is not made to be refilled with ink, but FPNers tell me it can be done.

Historic. Maybe, depends on your taste. Lots of people here love that old time BCHR (black chased hard rubber) look in a pen. Some want to experience what one of the first users of a fountain pen did (that was, in at least one case, Mark Twain). Others love that sort of post-WWII, what was it, modernist? style of a Parker "51". But lots of us here do not really do history at all (old, I mean, "vintage" pens), but instead use the latest space-age implements, like Rotring Core, or a Lamy Vista, or worse!

So my point, if I have one, is that there is lots to learn. Pick things up by one corner, so you don't get overwhelmed. And have fun. :D

"... for even though the multitude may be utterly deceived, subsequently it usually hates those who have led it to do anything improper." Aristotle, Athenian Constitution, XXVIII:3 Loeb Edition

As others have said, new pens need not be expensive. Then there is the wonderful world of vintage pens. I bet that a bunch of parents you know have an old pen sitting in a drawer somewhere they would be happy to give you. Of course it will likely need some TLC once you get it but just think of all you'll learn bringing it back to life.

Welcome home and may this be the beginning of a life long passion.

Welcome Dannie, have a good look around in the various fora here and ask questions if you want any further information or help, the people here are a mine of information on all things pen-related.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of nothing at all...

HI Dannie! Welcome!

Would that be Miami Florida, or Miami Ohio, or some other Miami? Inquiring minds want to know!

Much Love--Virginia

It is indeed sunny south Florida's Miami ;)

It's so hot, I hate it -_-

I suppose you could find well-priced pens around, but everywhere I go I see the minimum price at about $150.00. It's quite frustrating.

It is indeed sunny south Florida's Miami wink.gif

It's so hot, I hate it sleep.gif

I suppose you could find well-priced pens around, but everywhere I go I see the minimum price at about $150.00. It's quite frustrating.

Dannie--

Where are you going in South Florida? The MB boutiques? Levenger in Delray? I've lived in Miami a long time and there's not much down here--you have to go online to shop around. Try Swisherpens.com, isellpens.com, or peartreepens.com. Or you could go to a flea market and get some off-name chinese pen for $5. Don't buy anything in the malls at the engraving places--they are the same pens the flea market is selling! If you've found somewhere else, I'd like to know!!

Much Love--Virginia

Dannie, welcome to FPN, the learning place.

My middle granddaughter, a freshman in college, visited me a few days ago and was admiring my newest FP, an Esterbrook which I had managed to restore to life. She wrote a few lines on a sheet of paper which she left here when she left. She wrote "I wish I could write cursive". I think that's the first time I realized that the schools don't teach cursive anymore. Two points from this: 1) a fountain pen doesn't have to be expensive to be a very good pen. 2) get a book from the public library on cursive writing, or Spencerian writing, and practice, practice, practice. It's a learnable skill. The payoff comes when some sweet young thing says, "you have such beautiful handwriting!"

Sorry to be so wordy. I'm a newbie here at FPN also, but not to fountain pens. Have fun on your new adventure.

John

“If you believe yourself unfortunate because you have loved and lost, perish the thought. One who has loved truly, can never lose entirely.” ~Napoleon Hill