Platinum Vs Sailor

HenryLouis

Hmn... Valid points. If I do want a pilot itll have to be bought online. I can get Sailors and platinums here so I'll know if it's dry.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• Tsujigiri

• Lloyd

• AltecGreen

You'll have to try out the pens. I find that Platinum and Sailor nibs have very different feel. Kind of like the difference between Aurora and OMAS nibs. (I admit this point might not help you very much). Of the big three, I have about a dozen Pilots, eleven Platinums and one Sailor. In terms of Pilot, I have found some of the pens tend to be dry including my Custom 74, Fermo, and both of my Murex long pens. On the other hand, my Pilot Silvern and my vintage Pilots have the right amount of wetness.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

However, of the big three Japanese pen companies my favorite is far and away Pilot. My Custom 845 writes like a dream, and my 823m though not quite as wet as I like, even with the tail opened up, is a lot wetter than any of my Platinum or Sailor pens. I've never yet had a Pilot that didn't write well out of the box.

Oddly enough, all 3 of my Pilots didn't work at first (although one's a vintage pen, can't blame them for that. Still working on it, too). However, it wasn't too hard to get them working perfectly and flowing freely. I'm starting to like this company more and more, too, for their unique approach to things. They really innovate, with the first ever pocket pen (Elite), the integrated nib Myu, the retractable capless pens, the Custom 823, and now the disposable Frixion.

Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with either brand, although I have more Platinums than Sailors. In the latter I have the 1911Ms in fine and music (which I don't like too much: amongst other things, it squeeks! I don't find the single slit feeds enough ink to the tip) and some pocket pens. The 1911M F nib is a great writer. I have a s/s Sailor pocket pen too, which I need to adjust as it's too dry, but otherwise nice to write with.

There's a Sailor Sapporo in the mail I'm eagerly awaiting ...

As for Platinums, I have five Maestro 3776s ranging from UEF to music, along with a Samurai 3776 (the 'gathered' pen), and a desk pen, black pocket pen and a Karakusa; all write well. The '3776' refers to the nib, rather than the pen model.

Pick of the bunch, for looks anyway, is a blue Bonita with gold-flecked maki-e urushi finish. Understated elegance ...

Enjoy whichever you get.

Edit: fix typos.

Edited by effrafax

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

The '3776' refers to the nib, rather than the pen model.

Actually, it refers to the height of Mt. Fuji much like the 4810 on MontBlanc nibs stands for the height of Mt. Blanc.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Henry,

I've got the 3776 with the 18K nib and it's a very good writer. I had a Sailor Sapporo and sold it. I liked the Platinum 3776 much better. I saw that they have this pen at Swisher for $105 which is less than I paid for mine. That seems a pretty good price for a nib of that quality and supported by a reliable vendor. Swisher's shipping should be lower than a vendor outside North America, I'd think.

The '3776' refers to the nib, rather than the pen model.

Actually, it refers to the height of Mt. Fuji much like the 4810 on MontBlanc nibs stands for the height of Mt. Blanc.

True, but I was referring to an earlier comment about the models and numbering. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Based on:

1. Half a dozen of Sailor with various fine or EF nibs.
  2. Only ONE 3776 with a Music nib.
  3. One Sailor MS nib but un-inked and not-tested.

All of a sudden I think I might have found a reason to try a Platinum with a fine or extra-fine. Unhealthy for the finances department... and really I do not need more fountain pens with fine or extra fine nibs.

Not sure if it varies greatly with different samples, but the 1911 full-size and the 1911 Medium that I have both exhibit a little bit of give (F and EF nibs), so unlike the true hard-nail Lamy EF nibs. Really great writers so far, but if Platinum's can write even better... :unsure:

With Aloha,

Clarence

I have two 3776 medium nibbed pens (Maestros), and I'd say, subjectively, that they write finer than a western fine ... actually, just did a comparison, and I'd say the the 3776 M is a smidge finer than my Parker Sonnet XF nib, looking with a 10x loupe. Not too much in it though.

There is a little more flex in the Platinum M than my fine Sailor 1911M, but I wouldn't say it was a flexible nib by any means. When pushed to a comfortable limit, I'd say that the 3776 M nib produces a line that is slightly wider than the XF Sonnet, not quite doubling it's normal width.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

Hmn... Maybe I'll buy a Sailor 1911 online from John Mottishaw (to make it write wet and to my prefrences), and then get a Platinum 3776 from swisher pens. They are only $105!!!

Or I could buy the Platinum President in store, then get the 3776 online? The President would be my at home pen and the 3776 my every day carry pen...

Whatever it is, if it's a sailor it'll be from Mottishaw... Since the general consensus is that Platinum has smoother nibs...

Okay but how dry are the pens (Sailor, Platinum)? will the be able to take fast strokes or will they end up skipping and such? Will it be like writing with a ballpoint?

I don't really think I like gushers. I have a Lamy 2000 that puts too much ink down... It bleeds through the page. But it can keep up with my strokes.

Henry

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Neither my Platinum nor my Sailors ever had a problem with keeping up with demand.

Oscar Wilde

Okay but how dry are the pens (Sailor, Platinum)?

Will the be able to take fast strokes or will they end up skipping and such? Will it be like writing with a ballpoint?

Sailor Fountain Pens are usually very wet writers, compared to their main rivals Platinum and Pilot. As you write at an 45 degree angle the way Sailor nibs are shaped and manufactured, the line thickness left by the fountain pen will be broader than usual. A writing example can be found here using a Sailor 1911M with an Extra-Fine nib. As Sailor are very wet writers, it's unusual to find the nib skipping even with the driest inks. The only time I've found when a Sailor Fountain pen skips is after the nib is reversed.

I don't really think I like gushers. I have a Lamy 2000 that puts too much ink down... It bleeds through the page. But it can keep up with my strokes

Normally bleeding occurs when writing on cheap, uncoated paper that has high porous properties. The ink bleeds into the paper causing unwanted feathering. Either change the paper paraphernalia , switch to a drier ink, or adjust the nib to change the ink flow. Hopefully this will improve results to an acceptable margin.

Edited by nemesiz

Shane

Hmn... Maybe I'll buy a Sailor 1911 online from John Mottishaw (to make it write wet and to my prefrences), and then get a Platinum 3776 from swisher pens. They are only $105!!!

Or I could buy the Platinum President in store, then get the 3776 online? The President would be my at home pen and the 3776 my every day carry pen...

Whatever it is, if it's a sailor it'll be from Mottishaw... Since the general consensus is that Platinum has smoother nibs...

Okay but how dry are the pens (Sailor, Platinum)? will the be able to take fast strokes or will they end up skipping and such? Will it be like writing with a ballpoint?

I don't really think I like gushers. I have a Lamy 2000 that puts too much ink down... It bleeds through the page. But it can keep up with my strokes.

Henry

I'd say you should get one of each brand for variety. But I'd recommend the other way around; 1911m and President. The 1911 and President are comparable, but I think the 1911m is a much better pen than the 3776. As for flow, both pens deliver plenty of ink. But the EF size is much drier than the others, quite understandably.

Ok maybe if funds permit I'll be getting both... Just that I'd rather have a full sized sailor like a 1911.

I like the look of the Pilot custom 742 but Pilot nibs are dry. The 823 is dry as well.

My Bamboo M isn't particularly dry (I'd call it maybe 6/10), and it's the same #10 nib as the Custom 742.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I have not used any Sailors but recently got a ribbed 3776 with a fine nib and its quite smooth and more importantly functions flawlessly, no picky sweet spot even though a 80-90 degree grip is out of the picture with the normal or above average nib size (depends on what you are used to) and pointy tine set.

It is also quite fine. I wasnt sure what to expect before trying it out and seeing the actual line width with the EF and UEF nib grades available with other models. The ribbed 3776 is only available in fine, medium and broad, unless I am misstaken. It could be that its a separate range but that would seem far fetched although not impossible, but it is odd. I've seen a sample or two of the UEF and my example is similar or finer. I'm starting to think something was off with that, or one of them atleast, and found it odd from the beginning as well. The line width is say.. .02mm or so depending on angle, with Noodlers bulletproof black. Line is saturated but just right. Definitely not dry however you look at it, comes out blackety-black. I think I got a good one.

One issue is with the converter (which seems fine otherwise), ink gets stuck and the nib wont start. Shaking resolves that problem, but my first thought was the trouble people have had with their Nakayas drying out inbetween use. Probably couldn't be as simple as that though..

One issue is with the converter (which seems fine otherwise), ink gets stuck and the nib wont start. Shaking resolves that problem, but my first thought was the trouble people have had with their Nakayas drying out inbetween use. Probably couldn't be as simple as that though..

I have a similar issue with my ribbed model. It's not the converter/cartridge for me. As long as the pen is kept nib horizontal or downward, it starts right up upon being uncapped. However, it'll fail to start without a shaking if kept nib up for a few hours.

Oscar Wilde

Would these be the same as the Nakaya nibs?

Nakaya Piccolo Heki Tamenuri 14K XF

Nakaya Ascending Dragon Heki 14K XXF

Sailor Brown Mosaic 21K Saibi Togi XXF

Sailor Maki-e Koi 21K XF

Pilot Namiki Sterling Silver Crane FP

Bexley Dragon XXF

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4iGeCcpI/AAAAAAAAA2A/xh2FRE0B8p0/s320/InkDropLogoFPN3.jpg

I have both Sailors (KOP, 3 1911 Large and Platinums (President, and a Pinstripe sterling silver I am not sure if it is the 70000 or the 50000) and I like the Sailors better nibs and designwise, my preference though is for stiffer, smoother, some people have said like writing on glass and wetter nibs.

Have your Lamy 2000 nib reground, if you're unsatisfied with the thickness of the B nib. Dillo did mine and I really like it. Kind of like an F stub. You could also have yours rounded if you wish... the B nib means you've got plenty of tipping material to work with. And of course, you could always buy another nib unit to install in your 2000, like an EF.

~Gary

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

The President is a nice pen, slightly larger feeling (I have not measured it) in my hand when posted compared to full size 1911.

The smaller (3776?) models to me do not compare well to the Sailor 1911m but if you are considering the full size 1911 to the President Platinum then I see them as mostly equal.

The converter rattled in all three of the Platinum pens. Fixable but still something to fuss with.

The converter does not have the wide mouth design that Sailor does but haven't noticed any flow problems.

Platinum seems to be a little less expensive (definitely check with Pam Braun at Oscan Braun Pens) but close in price to Sailor. Pam had a few (blue, red and yellow maybe - no black that I recall) for $150 so those would be a steal if still available.

I prefer Sailor because every one of them has been my definition of perfect. No fussing with the converter (ink hanging up due to surface tension), type of ink or kind of paper used. They have all worked flawlessly from the start.

I only use M to B nibs so I cannot vouch for the finer nibs but those sized Sailor and Platinum performed equally well - which means they laid down a consistently wet line with no skipping, with any ink and on any paper. The Platinum nib to my eye is more attractive.

It really is a close match between these two but considering the total package, I would go with Sailor.

Hello there,

I recently was looking at Platinum pens. How are the stock nibs? I write at a 50 degree angle and that makes a lot of my pens get off the sweet spot like my Lamy 2000 and such. I have heard pens like sailor also have a small sweet spot. Also, there seems to be a lot of love for sailor but not a lot of love for Platinum.

The only place I remember that carries Platinum online is Ujuku and their website is really confusing to go through. I was looking at a couple of models but I do like the 3776 and the President. What are some differences with these pens?

http://ujuku1.ath.cx/Ujuku-Shop/statinary/Platinum/fountainpen/PTB-20000PR.htm

http://ujuku1.ath.cx/Ujuku-Shop/statinary/Platinum/fountainpen/PTB-10000B.htm

I do know of a Platinum dealer a little drive away, so do you think I could order one from them or are some of the pens Japan only? The Platinum President is comparable in price to a Sailor 1911. They also have a similar design. But, which one is better?

Henry

Edited by Ledjeffelin