Platinum Vs Sailor

HenryLouis

So the pens dry out often? l am considering a Pilot custom 742 with a soft fine nib or just a fine. and it has a converter th at stops surface tension.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• Tsujigiri

• Lloyd

• Mors Ultima Ratio

I tried the Platinum President today. I really, really like it. I also tried out the Sailor Pro gear slim (sapporo). I think if I am able to get both pens, I'll get the President and the Pro gear slim. The president was more than what I expected!

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Good choice. IMHO, Sailor is better at scaling down quality to their smaller and cheaper pens. So while a Sapporo is made as nicely as a Pro Gear, with Platinum the President is the way to go.

Yeah I agree. The Sapporo is basically a pro gear but just a bit smaller. It's surprising how a few millimeters can make a $100 ish price difference!

I hope I can get both since they're both great looking. I also am liking the Sapporo more than the 1911M because it's different than the President's design. Good to have a little variety.

Hi,

After reading the reviews here and there I've decided to get a Japanese pen, a Sailor Sapporo or Platinum 3776. Then I searched on Ebay and found some really cheap NOS Platinums, like this one:

Ebay link

Does anyone know about their quality and how they feel on hand? And btw, do 18K and 21K nibs have noticeable differences from regular 14K nibs?

Many thanks.

Hi,

After reading the reviews here and there I've decided to get a Japanese pen, a Sailor Sapporo or Platinum 3776. Then I searched on Ebay and found some really cheap NOS Platinums, like this one:

Ebay link

Does anyone know about their quality and how they feel on hand? And btw, do 18K and 21K nibs have noticeable differences from regular 14K nibs?

Many thanks.

The Platinum Karakusa is a great pen. I have one that's steel and white instead of the black. The barrel is metal and the section is plastic. The metal gives the pen a nice weight but not heavy by today's standards. It is a nice durable everyday writing pen. Although, the Karakusa is not dirt cheap. They usually go for about $80. Platinum made a number of pens in the form factor similar to the Karakusa. I have another that's covered with sheep's skin. I am quite fond of Platinum pens and have quite a few. I find they perform better than my Pilots out of the box. Don't get sucked into the different gold content. You are probably not going to notice too much of a difference. It is one company trying to one up another company. Platinum went as far as 22k in the 70's. Sailor out did them by putting out a 23k pen.

For a cheap Platinum, try this pen that Speerbob is selling. I just got one and it is one of my best writing pens.

I'm not that fond of the styling of the modern pens from the big three Japanese companies. Platinum is probably the worse of the big three in terms of styling. They need to go back to some of their designs from the 70's. I just bought a 1970's Platinum Presidential pen. This pen is much more appealing in many ways than the current Platinum Presidential.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Thanks for your information. I will take a look at Speerbob's page.

Btw, I also found a lot of "pocket sized" Japanese pens on eBay. Are they suitable for regular writing or for quick notes only?

Btw, I also found a lot of "pocket sized" Japanese pens on eBay. Are they suitable for regular writing or for quick notes only?

The pocket pens are fine for regular writing. The Pilot Elite was the pen that started the whole trend of pocket pens. The pocket pens are designed to be posted and are not too short when posted. Bear in mind that the Platinum and Sailor pocket pens are primarily cartridge pens. The current converters do not fit these pens. The Pilot pocket pens (the MYU included) can use the CON-20 converter. You might be able to dig up some short converters that work for the Platinums and Sailors. The pocket pens are not expensive, especially those from Sailor and Platinum. Some of the Pilot pocket pens including the MYU and some of the steel body Pilot Elites command fairly high price on eBay.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

Pocket pens are great! They're cheap and they write very nicely. I just picked some up at a flea market in Japan. 2 of them worked with a little flushing, and I've been enjoying them immensely. The third, I'm still working on. Sailor and Platinum pocket pens no longer have converters to accompany them, but it's pretty easy to refill cartridges with a pipette.

I do like the integrated nib pocket pens, like the M90...

Hi,

Ebay link

Many thanks.

I am using Platinum pen like this. Very impressed by performance. They have smaller nibs then modern Platinum, but they are exceptional smooth writers. Little on dry side of spectrum, especially when compared to Sailors from this same decade, but not to dry. They are also kinda small, especially pocket versions. I like them and they usually costs from $30 to $70 (plastic to stainless steel). All my pens are 18K F nibs and I cannot compare them to 14 or 21K nibs. Be warned that Platinum pocket pens take cartridges only. If you wish to use converter search forum for manual how to modify it to fit pen barrel. The stainless steel version of this pen feel nicely in hand. the plastic or plastic/aluminum is extremely light. I do not care how cheap they looks like. I love them as a great writing instruments.

Thanks. I'd like to have a pocket pen but don't want to hassle with modifying converters or using syringe. So I think I'll get a regular size pen from speerbob. I've found out that regular sized pens accept Platinum converter, but their nibs are gold-plated, while pocket pens have 14/18K nibs but can take cartridges only. Kind of a tradeoff. :)

For a cheap Platinum, try this pen that Speerbob is selling. I just got one and it is one of my best writing pens.

Thank you so much for PE-500 auction link. I love Platinum pens, and this one is a bargain. I couldn't resist to got one ;).