Stipula T Flex Nibs

lecorbusier

This is an interesting coincidence. I ordered a Stipula Model T from Melpens at $130.00. Now there seems to be a problem with my CC (my bank says there has been nothing come through). It'll be interesting to see if I get the pen for $130.00 or if they try to get me to pay the new price of $180.00... I'm betting on the original price, but one never knows.

Ken.

Waiting for opening time in Kuala Lumpur (another 3 or 4 hours)

UPDATE

I was unable to make any headway with VISA, so I submitted the order again. The price will be adjusted to be in line with the original order. I asked about the price increase, and was told that because of a strenuous complaint to the manufacturer from a US based seller, they were directed to increase their price (by the manufacturer).

I think that probably explains the sudden price increase by the two remaining online sellers who had low prices.

Ken.

Edited by KenS

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Deirdre

• Doug C

• KenS

• FrankB

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an interesting coincidence. I ordered a Stipula Model T from Melpens at $130.00. Now there seems to be a problem with my CC (my bank says there has been nothing come through). It'll be interesting to see if I get the pen for $130.00 or if they try to get me to pay the new price of $180.00... I'm betting on the original price, but one never knows.

Ken.

UPDATE

I was unable to make any headway with VISA, so I submitted the order again. The price will be adjusted to be in line with the original order. I asked about the price increase, and was told that because of a strenuous complaint to the manufacturer from a US based seller, they were directed to increase their price (by the manufacturer).

I think that probably explains the sudden price increase by the two remaining online sellers who had low prices.

Ken.

UPDATE #2

Good fortune has tilted it's head in my direction, so a Stipula Model T is headed my way for the original sales price. In a week or so, I should know if this is going to be the pen that does it all, or was just a nice idea.

Best regards, Ken

Deirdre,

Thanks for the pictures! It looks like it is a touch longer than the Etruria, but slimmer. Just one more question - what material did they use in making this pen? Is it just a black acrylic? I suspect this is a C/C filler, right? I guess that was more than one question, wasn't it! ;-)

I hope the pain eases up! BTW, my Alter Ego is the Etruria I am using today, so I loved that picture!

Scott.

It's black resin and a c/c filler (like the Etruria Volterra).

That said, the other Etrurias I have were very close in length to the Volterra, even the piston fillers. Some of them are narrower in the section, e.g., the D'Inverno.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Well, since I knew I DEFINITELY wanted one of these, and it was just a matter of when (I was delaying because I got a lot of pens this month), I went to look at Fahrney's, Melpens, and PenGallery tonight. Fahrney's is out of stock. So I decided to jump now, with MelPens (just in case).

:D

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

Ken.

UPDATE

Ken.

UPDATE #2

Good fortune has tilted it's head in my direction, so a Stipula Model T is headed my way for the original sales price. In a week or so, I should know if this is going to be the pen that does it all, or was just a nice idea.

Best regards, Ken

UPDATE #3

My shiny black Stipula Model T arrived today.

I immediately flushed the nib/feed & converter with ammonia & water, then filled the pen with Pilot/Namiki blue ink. I sat down and filled three 8X10 sheets of paper. The nib is nice and smooth, making the writing nearly effortless. The nib may be a little fine of line, but it will probably satisfy the writers who like fine and medium nibs. When it comes to flex I'm left out as I don't put enough pressure on the nib to give the line discernible variation. I did try some heavy underlining with good results.

In summary this pen;

Has clean simple lines, with modest decoration.

Has a nice conventional converter system, which I'm starting to like. I always preferred piston fillers before, but am slowly coming around. The downside is that if the section isn't screwed tightly into the barrel the section will unscrew instead of the cap.

The clip won't open up enough for thick materials, but is robust enough that it should hold well on thinner material.

I'm guessing that I won't be throwing out my Pilot 823, MB 146 & 149, or even my Densho, but this pen will most definitely get a lot of use.

In short, I am happy to have spent my money on it, and recommend the pen.

Melpens did a great job of getting the pen to me in quick time at a good price, so I'll publicly acknowledge their superb service.

Thanks and Best regards, Ken.

Does anyone have a writing sample showing the line variation that this pen can produce?

(Sorry if I missed it in any of the earlier posts)

Does anyone have a writing sample showing the line variation that this pen can produce?

(Sorry if I missed it in any of the earlier posts)

Should be on the first page of posts.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Thanks for the update, Ken. The "T Flex" seems to be a good pen.

Ken wrote:

" ... The downside is that if the section isn't screwed tightly into the barrel the section will unscrew instead of the cap. ..."

I was wondering about that possibility. I have two Grifos Sphinx FP's with threads in the same location. They have the same tendancy. Taking care to screw the cap on lightly doesn't bother me because I do not carry pens in a pocket. I really like the hand hold I can get with threads at the front of the section, so I am going to get a "T Flex" anyway.

I'll have to look when I get home, but I'm pretty sure my Alinari has a B nib.

I've been meaning to gather my various Ti nibs together and show them in comparison (writing-wise, not just the photos I took of the nibs earlier).

deirdre.net

• 1 month later...

I just had to get me one o' these to match the T Model Ford I one day hope to drive. I've been intrigued by the flex potential of titanium nibs and this was the first pen that was just, barely, within my reach monetarily. Of course after initial testing to see that it works nice and proper I intend to add a touch more flex, if possible as I've never worked a titanium nib before, and regrind it to a xxxf, thusly creating my preferred nib of choice. This is one of those rare pens that actually seems to capture the same sorts of feelings one has when they sit behind the wheel of a Model T Ford. Many pens named after cars just don't seem to capture the feelings that the cars themselves create. I can't wait to get my inquisitive little hands on mine.

Snip

"I intend to add a touch more flex, if possible as I've never worked a titanium nib before, and regrind it to a xxxf, thusly creating my preferred nib of choice.Snip

If you do get one and successfully regrind it, let us know what the results are.

Ken.

Okay the model T's amount of flex is somewhat the same as a reform 1745... Well at least to my eye from Deirdre's post:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2661/3920167823_6135ae6a86_b.jpg

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Snip

"I intend to add a touch more flex, if possible as I've never worked a titanium nib before, and regrind it to a xxxf, thusly creating my preferred nib of choice.Snip

If you do get one and successfully regrind it, let us know what the results are.

Ken.

My T Model Stipula should be arriving early next week. So a day to test its workings. I like to test with Noodler's BPB and Platinum Carbon Ink on a variety of papers. If she's in good order then I'll start to tweaking it to my tastes to get an initial feel for titanium as a nib metal. If everything checks out then I'll start with a very gentle test grind to see if the flex can be adjusted. I don't see why I shouldn't be able to add a bit of extra flex, but I have only worked with titanium by prepping tubes for argon gas welding so we'll see. If the test flex grind works after a test page or two then it's down to business and this beauty will end up as a xxxf full flex that I think will go wonderfully with either a black ebony Edison Herald or a Sailor 1911 Transparent Demonstrator with Rhodium trim.

• 1 month later...
My T Model Stipula should be arriving early next week. So a day to test its workings. I like to test with Noodler's BPB and Platinum Carbon Ink on a variety of papers. If she's in good order then I'll start to tweaking it to my tastes to get an initial feel for titanium as a nib metal.

Any update on this would be appreciated.

I've been looking at the Model T with some interest and some misgivings. I like the idea of trying a Ti nib, and I like the thought of getting some flex. I have doubts about whether it would be flexy enough to satisfy me. (Somebody wrote that it doesn't produce any variation with their normal handwriting. If that's so, then what's the purpose of it?)

I don't like only being able to get it in a C/C pen, even though Stipula also make piston and plunger pens. Why can't they put this nib into the Vedo, or even the Suprema Nuda?

My T Model Stipula should be arriving early next week. So a day to test its workings. I like to test with Noodler's BPB and Platinum Carbon Ink on a variety of papers. If she's in good order then I'll start to tweaking it to my tastes to get an initial feel for titanium as a nib metal.

I've been looking at the Model T with some interest and some misgivings. I like the idea of trying a Ti nib, and I like the thought of getting some flex. I have doubts about whether it would be flexy enough to satisfy me. (Somebody wrote that it doesn't produce any variation with their normal handwriting. If that's so, then what's the purpose of it?)

I don't like only being able to get it in a C/C pen, even though Stipula also make piston and plunger pens. Why can't they put this nib into the Vedo, or even the Suprema Nuda?

I really like mine, and I find it quite flexy. I'll try to work up a sample...

OK, here you go. Scanner is acting up, so it's a photo. I only cropped it - the white balance made it look funny, so I left it as-is (except some cropping), but you can see the flex just fine. The only irritation is what someone else mentioned about trying to unscrew the cap and ending up unscrewing the body - but that's minor for me...

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/kushbaby_pics/StipulaTFlexsample.jpg

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I really like mine, and I find it quite flexy. I'll try to work up a sample...

OK, here you go. Scanner is acting up, so it's a photo. I only cropped it - the white balance made it look funny, so I left it as-is (except some cropping), but you can see the flex just fine. The only irritation is what someone else mentioned about trying to unscrew the cap and ending up unscrewing the body - but that's minor for me...

http://i696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327/kushbaby_pics/StipulaTFlexsample.jpg

Nice

The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

As it happens, I decided to get an OMAS Emotica with F nib. It's in the mail now, so I should get to test it and post some kind of report next week.

I've been writing with my Waterman Thorobred. Although I love it, the nib is maybe too sensitive, and I have to concentrate to maintain a super-light touch yet keep the nib in contact with the paper. So maybe something with a bit less flex than that is what I need.

Edited by tonybelding