Where to buy extra Sailor nibs?

jniforat

I have a pen coming in the mail from a trade: a Sailor 1911M. I heard Sailor nibs are fairly interchangeable; therefore, I am curious where I might find a music nib specifically, or a zoom nib if music is not available. Can I buy just the nib somewhere besides posting a WTB or WTT in the classifieds?

Thanks again, FPN.

Joshua

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jniforat

• Carlos

• Siv

• Hundratusen

Why did anybody tell you that? They're fairly interchangeable only in the sense that the sections are threaded, but then almost any other cartridge/converter pen is that way. It's interchangeable if you find somebody with the nib you want who also wants the nib you have, but if you want two nibs, it helps to want two pens.

that's what I meant, sorry for not phrasing it as such.

also, I meant to say if sections are sold seperately. perhaps that is a dumb question..nvm

joshua

You can still buy just about every nib that sailor has produced. Have a look here for the range. BUT you cannot buy just the nib - you'll have to buy a pen with it!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

• 1 month later...

When there's money involved you can buy anything you want. Look at the larger Sailor dealers, Swisher Pens has really helpful people, and sweet talk em' like a southern gentleman at the neighborhood ladies garden association meeting. You'd be amazed at what can be accomplished with a little sweet talk and a wad of cash.

I saw sailors for sale with cross music nibs....can I buy a cross music nib? are those available?

The Cross Music nib and other Nagahara special nibs are for the larger 1911 and Pro gear pens. They cannot be fitted in the 1911M series.

Melpens and PenGallery have the Cross Music and the Cross Music Emperor pens. No affiliation -- just a satisfied customer.

• 3 weeks later...

Can you please describe (or point me to a DIY description) of how to change nibs between two same-size Sailor pens? Is it as easy as unscrewing it like a Pelikan nib?

My Sailor nib units are interchangable between my Nagahara LE Green Meteor and the CP7 silver Sailor and the larger 1911s. The whole nib/feed/section is what is switched, no need to unseat nibs at all. I have two spare units, both Togis, a NM and an NB - so I've tried this after seeing your post earlier.

Good luck with your search. I can't remember where I bought my spare units, it was years ago, but they are still the same as the current ones.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

Then it has to be like opening a champagne bottle.

Hold the nib (cork) firmly.

Pull and wag the body (bottle) a little.

No!!! The barrel has to unscrew from the nib section to allow access to the filling system - so if your pen has a converter or a cart either can be removed from the nib section........and another different nib+feed+section unit can be used. It couldn't be easier...........unless you are talking about another style of pen that has a piston or lever filling system.

Each day is the start of the rest of your life!

Make it count!!!

When there's money involved you can buy anything you want. Look at the larger Sailor dealers, Swisher Pens has really helpful people, and sweet talk em' like a southern gentleman at the neighborhood ladies garden association meeting. You'd be amazed at what can be accomplished with a little sweet talk and a wad of cash.

Sure, but you'd have to spend about the same amount as a new pen, so you might as well buy the entire pen.

These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value.--Thomas Paine, "The American Crisis", 1776

Sailor itself does not allow dealers to order only nibs. They do not want their nibs ending up in custom pens where they cannot control the quality of the writing experience. I have tried to purchase a new music nib for a Sapporo which came to me damaged, and it was a no go right from the start.

While Sailor sections are swappable from pen to pen, their nibs and feeds are generally not swappable as are Pelikans.

Cheers,

Sean

PenRx is no longer in business.

• 1 month later...

Congrats on getting a Zoom nib (if you decide on that one) - I still can't believe how generously and smoothly it writes from ANY angle. I love, love, love it.

WTB: Pelikan Epoch saphire/jade/silver, Cross C-Series Monaco Blue, Cross Compact Magenta, Fuliwen Silver Ring orange or yellow (all with M/B nibs except for Fuliwen)

Oy! Not only is that not the way to remove the section from the barrel of a Sailor pen that is also not the way to open a champagne bottle. Instead you should firmly hold the cork with one hand and use the other hand to slowly twist the bottle until you hear/feel the cork dislodge from the neck of the bottle.

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

There was a recent thread in which Pthalo pointed out that you can pullout and change Sailor nibs of the same size ,as, yes they are friction fit.

I have not dared try it yet but if you look on LeighR's blog she swapped a music nib with a cross music emperor. You can see that she did not just swap sections as one was a black standard large 1911 and the other was a demonstrator. I want to do a similar swap where one has an emperor and I keep chickening out. :embarrassed_smile: