Regarding Esterbrook repairs...

ladyinthemists

BTW, I'd point out that if you live in the USA and order from Wood Bin, you'll pay a 3% currency exchange fee to his bank, and another to your own, and then you might have two wait two weeks or more for your package to clear US customs. I think PayPal will reduce the exchange fee (it'll eliminate it if he has a US dollar PayPal account), and the Customs delay is semi-random. They don't always stop packages.

Woodbin's PayPal is in US dollars (like the prices on their web site), so there's no conversion cost for Americans.

I'd guess that the US has an official exemption threshold for low-value imports, but have no idea what it is (here it's $20 for commercial goods).

Good to know; if I order from Wood Bin again, I'll be sure to use PayPal to pay instead of paying directly with Visa.

FWIW, my order from Wood Bin was under $15, even after the 3% fee applied by his bank (the one from my own bank wouldn't have shown anywhere but my own bank statement), and my order took almost exactly two weeks longer than first class mail from just this side of the border would have (i.e. one day short of three weeks, instead of 4-5 working days).

Edit to clarify: I was not charged any import duty -- that threshold, IIRC, is $50 or higher, maybe much higher for US and Canada since NAFTA -- but my package was held up, and US Customs is the only reasonable place that could have occurred.

Edited by ZeissIkon

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• ladyinthemists

• OcalaFlGuy

• ZeissIkon

I have a ESTERBROOK LJ Icicle with ESTERBROOK printed on the pocket clip but nothing printed on the body. It has a broken j-bar but the nib seems ok. All I want is a fountain pen not a hobby so if you are interested and would like to offer to buy or trade me for a working fountain pen let me know.

Wow. A SJ Icicle. You don't see those everyday. I wouldn't let that one get away from you LITM.

PS Don't lose the pieces of the broken j-bar, you can use them to size the replacement with.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

I have a ESTERBROOK LJ Icicle with ESTERBROOK printed on the pocket clip but nothing printed on the body. It has a broken j-bar but the nib seems ok. All I want is a fountain pen not a hobby so if you are interested and would like to offer to buy or trade me for a working fountain pen let me know.

Where are you located?

I could handle a pen trade.

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

what color is your Estie icicle?

She who laughs, lasts 61106869_10219479460406206_6753598647167

what color is your Estie icicle?

I have six of the seven colors.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I wouldn't do that, fool with the yellow pen. The pastel pens have a plastic that gets very brittle. If the pen is filling with ink and not leaking I would leave it alone, big chance of cracking the barrel getting the section out. I've done sacs and bars on a few hundred Esties and cracked many a pastel pen. Maybe I'm just clumsy, your mileage may vary.