• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• mirko

• PatientType

• troglokev

I was offered one in trade and passed ....

The ink flow went very dry on the up-stroke and I HAD to post to make the pen long enough to hold to write with.

It was not convenient for quick note taking (cap off, turn pen around, post, write, cap off, turn pen around, cap on).

Sexy nib though.

Just beautiful. There's a little something about this pen that makes it (to me) worth more than a duofold.

Step 1: Buy another fountain pen

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit.

The ink flow went very dry on the up-stroke and I HAD to post to make the pen long enough to hold to write with.

It was not convenient for quick note taking (cap off, turn pen around, post, write, cap off, turn pen around, cap on).

But that is precisely the point with these pocket pens - compact when capped and full size when posted. Sorry to hear about the flow problems you experienced; I have had (and now I've used it for quite some time) absolutely no flow problems - it has been happy with all the different inks (Noodler's, Diamine, Pelikan, Homebrews, Pilot, Visconti, MB) I've fed it with.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

I was offered one in trade and passed ....

Sexy nib though.

For that kind of use, the "right pen" could be the Capless.

Unfortunately is much bulkier.

M90 and Capless are my "most carried pens". I always have one (or both) of them with me, for quick writing needs.

Their are not my "most used pens", as I found traditional (large, unposted) pens more comfortable.

Edited by enricof

Ciao - Enrico

Diplomat #1961

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo288/enricofacchin/poker-3.jpg

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

For that kind of use, the "right pen" could be the Capless.

Unfortunately is much bulkier.

enricof

I agree, the Vanishing point works very well for that.

It wasn't uncapping the M90 that bothered me, it was having to post the cap in order to use it that did.

I uncap a Parker "51" just as much, but I write comfortably with it with the cap unposted, my favorite configuration.

So does anyone know any reputable retailer carrying this pen in the USA? I would rather buy a NOS or gently used one. Any ideas... plz PM me..

Thanks

I think of my FPs as my children.

What does NOS mean again?

Also anybody know if there's a big diff between fine and medium nib? Also how are pilots nib sizes? I know for example lamy seems to run on the large side.

What does NOS mean again?

Also anybody know if there's a big diff between fine and medium nib? Also how are pilots nib sizes? I know for example lamy seems to run on the large side.

Fine on Pilot is like extra fine or 0.3-0.5 mm. On my vanishing point w/o any pressure the pen writes a 0.3mm line; with normal pressure it becomes around 0.5mm. Unless you write really small or write a lot of numbers with this pen; I would get a medium point.

I think of my FPs as my children.

I've got 2 M90s (both fine) I carry one and leave the other, unused in the box, just because I love these pens.. (I would have gotten a medium, but they were sold out)

These are exceptional pens, totally worth the price, and I hope that Pilot puts them into regular production like the 701 used to be.

(btw, if anyone has a medium that they want to trade for a fine, let me know! :) )

/Mark

Science is a way of skeptically interrogating the universe with a fine understanding of human fallibility.

-Carl Sagan

http://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/LetterExchange_sm.pnghttp://mark.intervex.net/fpn/images/PostcardExchange_sm.pnghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qVJOiluU9_4/THp4f_4pakI/AAAAAAAAA14/_d-MITGtqvY/s320/InkDropLogoFPN2.jpg

I'm another one who fell to the review. I picked up a fine, and loved it so much I ebayed a second to leave in the box, just in case.

This pen has stayed with me every minute since I inked it up.

Steve

This is a fine, integrated nib in stainless steel. I've read that some people aren't that impressed with this nib, but I am. It is smooth, without being slippery and uncontrollable - thus designed for fast, fine-nib-writing, which suits me perfectly. It is quite stiff, but not a numb nail, which also suits my writing style splendidly. It lays down an even, medium wet line and seems to enjoy various inks. The inks I've used so far includes Pelikan, Diamine, Pilot, Visconti and Homebrews. A favourite feature is that the nib is very distinct and precise, which I both like - and need - when I write.

Sorry I'm a bit late...by about one year! Just want to say I enjoyed the review and I very much agreed with your spot on description of the pen. I am writing here just to ask - if you ever see this! - if you never experienced a toothy F nib?

I have a Sailor 1911 classic gold trim with F nib and it is toothy and scratchy at times - off and on. I bought another Sailor 1911 with a M nib to compare and it writes smooth with no toothiness. But I prefer it to be finer like the F nib but without the toothiness.

I liked your description about the nib being "very distinct and precise". This is how I would like my pen to be! :gaah:

I am now thinking of purchasing a Pilot 823 but nervous about buying it with an F nib! But have no idea how that F nib will turn out.

Sorry...just felt like ranting. I just wondered if you have ever had that difficulty of purchasing an F nib only to find it is not smooth and being nervous to make the same mistake?

This is a fine, integrated nib in stainless steel. I've read that some people aren't that impressed with this nib, but I am. It is smooth, without being slippery and uncontrollable - thus designed for fast, fine-nib-writing, which suits me perfectly. It is quite stiff, but not a numb nail, which also suits my writing style splendidly. It lays down an even, medium wet line and seems to enjoy various inks. The inks I've used so far includes Pelikan, Diamine, Pilot, Visconti and Homebrews. A favourite feature is that the nib is very distinct and precise, which I both like - and need - when I write.

Sorry I'm a bit late...by about one year! Just want to say I enjoyed the review and I very much agreed with your spot on description of the pen. I am writing here just to ask - if you ever see this! - if you never experienced a toothy F nib?

I have a Sailor 1911 classic gold trim with F nib and it is toothy and scratchy at times - off and on. I bought another Sailor 1911 with a M nib to compare and it writes smooth with no toothiness. But I prefer it to be finer like the F nib but without the toothiness.

I liked your description about the nib being "very distinct and precise". This is how I would like my pen to be! :gaah:

I am now thinking of purchasing a Pilot 823 but nervous about buying it with an F nib! But have no idea how that F nib will turn out.

Sorry...just felt like ranting. I just wondered if you have ever had that difficulty of purchasing an F nib only to find it is not smooth and being nervous to make the same mistake?

Being finer, there will generally be a bit more toothyness to it just cause of less metal touching the paper, resulting in the ability to feel all the irregularities of the surface.

The heart has its reasons which reason knows nothing of.

Blaise Pascal

fpn_1336709688__pen_01.jpg

Tell me about any of your new pens and help with fountain pen quality control research!

Being finer, there will generally be a bit more toothyness to it just cause of less metal touching the paper, resulting in the ability to feel all the irregularities of the surface.

Thank you "professionaldilettante" for you post. Yes I have to agree with what you said. You are confirming what I felt deep down to be true. Sigh... I was hoping perhaps there was a miracle "F" nib that writes fine and smooth.

I suspect there are lots of people out here who have at least one 'fine and smooth' nib.

I can think of three in my collection, a Bexley Sheherazade, a "51" Aerometric and a Waterman Man 100, (AND one which I just traded for a B, in my Tibaldi Iride). Interestingly, none of them has needed to be 'breathed upon' by any of the wonderful nib technicians who we all know about.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

I suspect there are lots of people out here who have at least one 'fine and smooth' nib.

I can think of three in my collection, a Bexley Sheherazade, a "51" Aerometric and a Waterman Man 100, (AND one which I just traded for a B, in my Tibaldi Iride). Interestingly, none of them has needed to be 'breathed upon' by any of the wonderful nib technicians who we all know about.

Thanks for your post "rogerb". God you're a lucky fellow!

Wolf4, you may want to take a look at Richard Binder's website. Every nib he adjusts writes wonderfully smoothly, no matter how fine. I have a number of pens purchased from or adjusted by Richard, including custom-ground XF and XXF nibs. They're the smoothest and best writers I own.

(Not a paid advertiser, just a happy customer. :) )

Yup, I also have a "51" and a Balance with perfectly smooth Fine nibs.

They are Possible.

They are out there!