The M90 - Pilot's Gracious

dandelion

Yes, I have the little scratches. I'm not sure what's scratching, as the inside is plastic.

My point exactly. At first I was afraid I had obtained one with a build defect. Again, all very minor, but when you covet I pen like I do this one...

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dandelion

• mirko

• PatientType

• troglokev

I'm starting to feel a tinge of guilt for victimizing the readers of the thread... but it IS a lovely pen. I'm growing more and more fond of its handyness. It didn't take long before it became the pen that felt natural to bring along everywhere. I am almost prepared to give it 9.5/10 as a total verdict. It is very close to the perfect pen. A tad too small to be the only pen in the stable, but in all other aspects I still think it is first class and I use it everyday.

*****the dandelion blog is right here*****

*****the dandelion flickr is right here*****

It's a nice pen, but in my opinion, my vintage Parker 50 is better than M90. Anyone knows when the M90 appeared into the market? Kind regards, Leandro.

OK. Now that I've received and actually used the M90 I can offer the following:

It's fine nib creates a line that is a tad wider than other Japanese fines I've used - which is good. In a writing session of a little over two hours the M90 left my hand feeling cramped and tired. That would not have been true had I been using my Pelikan 800 or Conway Stewart 100. So, for me, the M90 is pretty much what it is designed to be - a superior pocket pen for jotting notes, writing checks, signing sales slips. It is not a production writer. Even as a pocket pen the M90 is not the only obvious choice. While undeniably beautiful, one can purchase an also-very-attractive NOS Pilot Elite with 18k or 14k nib for $55 to $70 (shipping included) on Ebay and obtain more attractive script due to the Elite's more flexible nib.

So, I'm glad I got the M90. It's a pen I will use. There is no modern pen that matches the clean form of the pen. But I doubt that it will every see the frequency of use of either my Japanese NOS pens, Pelikan, or Conway Stewart.

Edited by PatientType

A great review, with wonderful photos (I love when the reviewer captures every little angle of a pen).

And the best thing is that you answered a question I had sent to another FPN'er, but didn't get a reply. The body is not slippery, a fear I had since it was brushed stainless steel.

I have a Lamy 2000 which I like, but don't absolutely love since the metal section tends to make me hold onto it so tightly.

Apparently, this is not the case here.

Good to know.

Thanks for the nice review.

the Danitrio Fellowship

New here at FPN and new to FP's. After reading this post and looking at the amazing photos...I too have ordered and await the arrival of this very sexy looking pen! :)

Recieved my M90 yesterday! Very attractive pen and very easy to carry in pocket. I recieved 2 converters with mine (1 of which I puchased as an extra). I tried both of them, sac type and twist type with Watermn ink. An added note is that both converters fit very very snug. Hard getting out and putting in. Very tight fit. Both were Pilot converters. When using the converters, the best the pen wrote was average IMO. I finally switched over to a cartridge and the difference was substantial...much much better. I'm new and wondering if there is a reason for such a difference?

Recieved my M90 yesterday! Very attractive pen and very easy to carry in pocket. I recieved 2 converters with mine (1 of which I puchased as an extra). I tried both of them, sac type and twist type with Watermn ink. An added note is that both converters fit very very snug. Hard getting out and putting in. Very tight fit. Both were Pilot converters. When using the converters, the best the pen wrote was average IMO. I finally switched over to a cartridge and the difference was substantial...much much better. I'm new and wondering if there is a reason for such a difference?

Several reasons, mostly associated with the chemistry and physical properties of the ink, rather than cartridge vs. converter. In a new pen, it could well be oils associated with manufacturing getting flushed out by a couple of loads of ink. There's the viscosity of the ink (how well it flows through the ink channels), the surface chemistry between ink and feed (how well the ink wets the feed), lots of stuff.

Now that you have things going with the cartridges, I'd be willing to bet that it will work just as well with a converter.

I bought it from engeika on eBay, he has a fine store for Japanese pens. Price differs of course, but service and follow-up are excellent, and generally his prices are very competitive.

Last weeks he consistently had one on offer, alternating F and M nibs.

Latest additions: Aurora Dante Inferno (B), Graf Von Faber Castell Classic Wood Ebony (OM), La Couronne Du Comte Willem van Oranje (M), Montblanc Writers Edition Cervantes (M), Aurora Optima Cento Riflessi Limited Edition (B)

I bought mine from a relatively new seller at ebay - can't remember who. I think I paid approx $120 and I believe the prices fluctuate between $110-150 depending on where you look. I also recommend engeika. i didn't buy my M90 from him, but have bought other stuff and he is a very serious and thorough seller.

...and I still love this pen.

(edited to add the love part)

Edited by dandelion

Interesting, the first thing I thought of when I saw it is how much it looks like a Parker Falcon 50.

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/8039/p50m90.jpg

“As we leave the Moon at Taurus-Littrow, we leave as we came, and God willing, as we shall return, with peace and hope for all mankind.”Gene Cernan, 14 December 1972

Interesting, the first thing I thought of when I saw it is how much it looks like a Parker Falcon 50.

-Bruce

It does, a bit, but the clip doesn't fall off.

-Bruce

It does, a bit, but the clip doesn't fall off.

Even if they share some characteristics I think they are very different. The M90 and the MyU701 are refined, elegant and gracious - on the verge to perfection. The Parker has some nice details, but is as a whole and completed product a rather unoriginal pen. The gold coloured standard clip and clip ring are, in my eyes, ghastly. The feeder is more clumsy. Where the Pilot M90/MYU 701 is shape and clever function incarnated, the Parker is a bleak and unfulfilled pen. Sorry, but I think they play in totally different leagues.

Great photos and review!

My M90 is the favorite in my collection. It writes fantastic and looks even better.

Hey great photos and review. I'm actually planning to pick this up for my birthday. My first impression of the pen was me saying "a pen can look like that?" It just seems so innovative and unique. Oh I hope you don't mind but I'm going to set those pics as my screen saver :D

Can't wait until my birthday!!!

Check out my ink reviews.

Currently inked:

Pilot Vanishing Point - <font color=#000000> Hero Black </font color=#000000>

Hero 616 - <font color=#000000> Noodler's Blackest Black Old Manhattan </font color=#000000>

• 4 weeks later...

I've been on the fence about this pen for quite some time but your review has just about convinced me that I don't need to pay the phone bill this month.

• 4 months later...

Just thought I'd add some of the frost photos of this that I took during the winter. And, yes, I still love this pen!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/SzB1ZQ-GDCI/AAAAAAAAIwM/zTH9ttPGTZs/wik%20II_0111.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/SzByK1p7J6I/AAAAAAAAIu8/pSVfwNp9Em0/wik%20II_0049.JPG

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_FODBn3j5KLc/Synkm_1HP6I/AAAAAAAAHzw/KHtq2bGvkNk/wik%20II_0048.JPG