Charity Auction of Two Edison Pens

bgray

Hello Fountain Pen Networkers

It is with pleasure that I am announcing a charity auction of two pens from The Edison Pen Company.

The kind folks at the FPN have allowed me to host this auction here, and I would like to thank them from the bottom of my heart. The exposure that a charity auction will get here at the FPN will certainly be greater than an auction hosted on my own personal website, leading to a greater benefit to the charity.

I will state that the Fountain Pen Network is simply hosting the auction. While the FPN supports the cause, it does not have any active part in the conduct of the auction, and cannot be held responsible for any issues arising from participation.

The charity that I would like to benefit is Cherished Creations.

Cherished Creations, Inc. is a 501-C-3 Non-Profit Corporation whose mission is to create better lives for seriously ill children and the underprivileged. I was turned onto this charity by a fellow friend and member here at the FPN. I would like to apply my talents and time to benefit the charity.

Cherished Creations has fulfilled over 1100 wishes nationwide in the last ten years for children up to age 21. They fulfill not only the typical wishes such as concert/game tickets, trips, celebrity meets, etc., but they also fulfill some niches not covered by the other wish granting organizations. Some unique examples are…

Arranging for electrical renovations to a child’s bedroom and home. This child required 220v electricity for his ventilator. Because of this electrical renovation to his bedroom and home, the child was able to leave the hospital and spend his time at home. Cherished Creations arranged to have three rooms in the child's home renovated for 220v power.

A therapeutic hot tub for a boy with bone cancer.

Two-sided hand railings in the home aiding a boy with cerebral palsy.

They have also fulfilled almost 100 laptop wish requests to kids who spend lots of time in the hospital doing chemo treatments, who do not have a computer at home, or who need a laptop for college. They also provide for a $500 special request that allows for the provision of practical things (wheelchairs, specialized strollers & bikes, etc.) for children who are seriously ill with special needs.

All donations to Cherished Creations go directly to providing wishes to the kids, as the founder of Cherished Creations has covered all the administrative costs since its inception, and has pledged to continue doing so. This simple fact is unique and something that personally makes me think very highly of the organization.

Feel free to visit their website for more information.

http://www.cherishedcreations.com/

So here’s what I would like to do.

I have created two Edison Pens that are both unique and something that I’ve never done before. Both pens are a new concept, if not a new design. They will both be a one-off pen, in that the engraving will read “Edison Pen Co/Cherished Creations”. No other pens will be of this design with a similar engraving, so truly one of a kind.

When I contemplated these pens for the charity, I decided to create two pens that personally, I have always wanted to do creatively, but have never had the commission or the time.

As to the two pens…

The first pen that will be up for auction will be my newest model, The Huron. What makes this pen unique is that the pen is done in black ebonite with a raw satin or matte finish, inspired by the Dani Trio Denshos. This pen is then complimented with a new and super-cool nib. The nib is 18k gold, engraved with the Edison logo, plated in rhodium and ruthenium, giving a two-tone-rhodium effect. Top it off with a clipless cap, and the effect is complete. The nib can be any tip size, F, M, or B. I will also donate any custom italic grind that is preferred. The pen is a CC and ED. Personally, I’m very proud of this pen. I think that this is a fantastic “Stealth Pen”.

DSCN0008.jpg

DSCN0009.jpg

DSCN0010.jpg

The next pen that will be up for auction will be a #76 bulb filler. What makes this pen unique is that the barrel is a translucent amber material, inspired by the early Postal Pens. This pen is made from a black rose acrylic, with an amber translucent barrel. Unless I’m mistaken, I’m the only modern pen manufacturer that is producing a bulb filler.

The bulb filler is remarkable in that it offers a self-filling mechanism that fills the pen fast, and is also very maintenance free. There are no parts to fail, with the exception of the sac, which certainly will last for many many years, and is very easily replaced.

The reservoir also offers huge ink capacity. I haven't measured, but I'd be happy to if anyone is interested.

This pen will come with an 18k gold Edison nib of the customer’s choice. F, M, or B, with the option of any custom italic grind.

DSCN0001.jpg

DSCN0004.jpg

DSCN0006.jpg

Here is a video of the pen being filled.

Here’s how the auctions will happen.

I will put each pen up for auction on a different week, with the first one going up on Monday August 31st, and the auction ending on Friday, September 4th at 8:00 pm, EST. The second pen will go up for auction on Monday September 7th, ending on Friday, September 11th at 8:00 pm, EST.

The auction will be held and hosted here at the FPN as a thread. In order to retain bidder’s anonymity, I will only take bids through my email, and then post only the amount of the bid within the thread. I will ask people to not post bids within in the thread once it is up on the boards..

The emails will of course be time-stamped, so the highest bid up to Friday at 8:00 pm EST will be the winning bid.

When the pens go up for auction, I will post the starting bid price.

Presentation of the funds raised will be at the New York City Pen Show on October 9th .

If you plan on participating, I would like to ask you to consider the charitable cause and the great benefit that your money and my talent can accomplish for seriously ill and underprivileged children.

Each donation will receive a tax-deductible receipt for the full amount that was bid minus retail price of the pen.

If anyone would like to contribute to the charity without bidding, or donate any amount without making it a bid, we can certainly work that out, as well.

Please visit Cherished Creation’s website for more details as to what they are all about…the benefits of Cherished Creations is something that I truly believe in.

http://www.cherishedcreations.com/

Thanks,

Brian Gray, Edison Pen Company

Edited by bgray

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bgray

• Hennypenny

• brianw06

• PatientType

What a heartfelt action.

Tell you what, I will not bid on any of the pens,.... But I will donate the equivalent amount in cash to what is taken in by the auction.

See you at the NY/NJ show

Please do not listen to me. My opinions do not count

What a heartfelt action.

Tell you what, I will not bid on any of the pens,.... But I will donate the equivalent amount in cash to what is taken in by the auction.

WOW! :notworthy1:

Soli Deo Gloria

Shameless plug - Some of my amateur photography.

Beautiful pens, Brian. Especially that Huron. Sending you my bidder info.

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

I saw both of these pens at the DC Pen Show, and they are STUNNING !! The Huron's nib is cool beyond belief !! HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

Great cause Brian! I too saw the pens and they are top notch. I wonder if people will try and snipe the auction... 7:59PM, forty bids come in....

Great looking pieces Brian. I'll be considering my strategic bids....

Scott F.

and this coming from a person with some great designs, I love my 14S

Please do not listen to me. My opinions do not count

Wow! In love with that stealth pen. And generous folks appearing already. :wub:

I too saw and held the stealth pen at the DC show. You should be in love with it-- it is positively STUNNING.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Both pens are beautiful! Saw them at the DC show as well.

Good luck on the bidding!

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

What a heartfelt action.

:notworthy1: Me too! To match the auction with a donation is a very generous gesture.

Also, that Brian of Edison pen would create these masterpiece fountain pens to donate for such a worthy charity recommends him and Edison pen far more than any fountain pen review or accolades from satisfied customers. This guy has heart and class. Doubtless, this public bid will also inspire other donations to this charity. I'll be checking out the charity myself but also seriously considering how I might sell off some pens to be able to own an Edison.

When you work with love you bind yourself to yourself, and to one another, and to God.

And what is it to work with love?

It is to weave the cloth with threads drawn from your heart, even as if your beloved were to wear that cloth.

It is to build a house with affection, even as if your beloved were to dwell in that house.

It is to sow seeds with tenderness and reap the harvest with joy, even as if your beloved were to eat the fruit.

It is to charge all things you fashion with a breath of your own spirit,

And to know that all the blessed dead are standing about you and watching.

from The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran

These are gorgeous. I am absolutely in love with the two-tone rhodium/ruthenium nib and I hope you'll offer it on other models in the future.

I'm kicking myself because I've more than overspent my fountain pen budget for the year, but then I remember that because of that I have an Edison Tuxedo LE and a MB 149. So I don't think there are any violins playing for me.

Major props to you for doing this, Mr Gray.

Who are the pen shops in your neighborhood? Find out or tell us where they are, at http://penshops.info/

Blog: http://splicer.com/

Fantastic. Just fantastic. It's heartwarming to see a superb manufacturer create truly unique pieces for the sake of others, and to see the members of FPN give a hand! :thumbup:

Edited by BerneseMtDogEatsArco

I'll take an Aurora, please. Aurora black.

These are gorgeous. I am absolutely in love with the two-tone rhodium/ruthenium nib and I hope you'll offer it on other models in the future.

I agree... Too bad I don't have the cash to get one!!! :(

Good luck on the auction.

Edited by HenryLouis
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

Brian,

Just wanted you to know that your OP is the first FPN post that's ever made me cry (yes, I'm a sap B) ). You're doing a wonderful thing (of course, you know that). I hope you raise a small fortune for Cherished Creations. What a touching gesture. I'll bid if I'm able; if not, I'll donate.

:clap1: :clap1: :clap1:

Cheers,

Tom

Many thanks, everyone!

Already, I've received over $100 in donations, and the auction hasn't even started yet!

I'll get the first auction started Monday morning.

I've got a feeling that we can collectively accomplish some great things for these kids!

Take care.

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files