Tervakoski

Mangrove

I recently found out there is only single factory in whole Finland, one of the largest paper manufacturing country in the whole world, which still makes "handmade" paper and envelopes. The factory is Tervakoski, but they don't advertise it much since their annual production of this kind of paper is only 1,5 tons. Has anyone tried their papers? I got the (Finnish - translation by me) price list through their spokeswoman.

Tervakoski - Delfort Group

Name - g/m² - Size in mm - € per piece without VAT and posting

Letter-writing paper

Hirvenpää - 100 - A4 / 210 x 297 - 0,62€

Card

Kortti - 180 - A6 / 105 x 148 - 0,40€

Käyntikortti - 180 - 54 x 94 - 0,40€

Envelope - with lining

Hirvenpää - 200 - C6 / 114 x 162 - 2,00€

Hirvenpää - 200 - C65 / 114 x 229 - 2,30€

Envelope - without lining

Hirvenpää - 250 - C6 / 114 x 162 - 1,00€

Hirvenpää - 250 - C65 / 114 x 229 - 1,00€

Hirvenpää - C5 / 162 x 229 - 1,25 €

Watercolour paper - No surface sizing - machine-dried

520 X 720 - 4,80€

350 X 460 - 2,65€

Edited by Martti Kujansuu

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkish

• Mangrove

• jstar

• grainweevil

Thanks for the heads up Martti, I went to the website and the paper looks very nice.

I hope they will have a distributor in the U.S :)

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I tried to get some sort of quote or info about procuring any Tervakoski paper in the US and was given the following reply:

"Thank you for your interest in our special papers. I am working for TSP Inc. that is Tervakoski's sales office in Atlanta GA. As far as I know we do not have distributor in US and unfortunately not have a catalog available. Best way to start is to have your requirements about the paper quality and then find out what our products corresponds the best. For your info our Tervakoski 2 archival paper includes a Finnish Lion and the year as a watermark.

Will you kindly advice us what basis weight, shade, sheet size, quantities etc. you are interested about. The minimum quantity is full skid and that means in letter size sheets approximately 67,500 - 70,000 sheets per skid. Shipping costs will be verified case by case depending on order quantity, delivery location and urgency."

I am pretty sure that this is not the specialty paper...but I have been itching to get some of it as well. There is a watermarks website also which shows some of the mill's handiwork.

Thanks for the heads up Martti, I went to the website and the paper looks very nice.

I hope they will have a distributor in the U.S :)

This is fascinating....I'm in Finland until September and was just idly wondering if there were some spectacular products I should know about. Where would thee products be sold in Finland? What kind of stores?

Incidentally, I'm visiting my boyfriend, who works at a paper mill :P

The ThinPrint they mention sounds fascinating; one of the uses is "diaries", as well as "religious literature".

Edited by jstar

Where would thee products be sold in Finland? What kind of stores?

Ordinary Tervakoski paper can be bought from Akateeminen Kirjakauppa, but the special kind is only sold at the Tervakoski mill at.... Tervakoski! Besides paper there are not much writing related Finnish products. Akvila Oy ceased production of iron gall inks in 1968 and now only makes plastic trays and such. Sometimes you can see their inks sold at internet auctions with quite high prices.

Jstar, in what part of Finland are you now? Do you like pen and stationery related museums and exhibitions?

I realize that this is an odd request but if anyone manages to locate a good sources of Tervakoski 2 or the handmade stationery; I would definitely be up for a trade or possibly purchase some. Please PM me if you are interested.

I realize that this is an odd request but if anyone manages to locate a good sources of Tervakoski 2 or the handmade stationery; I would definitely be up for a trade or possibly purchase some. Please PM me if you are interested.

Isn't it Tervakoski 3? Anyway, I had some of the "lion and the year as a watermark" -paper. Mine was from a bank that shut down years ago (watermark says 1988) and it was donated as a scrap paper for children to doodle in... :gaah:

I might one sheet left somewhere if you want a sample. Rest were used to make a journal and to write letters. I don't know how archival this is - or is it the same paper - but I like it; it takes fountain pen inks great, though is really thin (maybe 80g). Send me a PM if you want the sheet.

I have no idea where you can buy these papers. But I would start by looking around at some office supplies websites, as I think it is still used. But that would be only a solution for big orders...

-O

Edited to add:

It seems to be Tervakoski 2 what is for sale. Here are few places I found with a quick search where you can order it (I don't know if they ship internationally):

http://www.materex.fi/index.php?page=2&open=521

http://www.toimistotarvikejuntunen.fi/kuva...lvot_tarrat.pdf (page 8)

http://www.atp-yhtyma.fi/tt1314.htm

Sorry that these are in Finnish. First one looks most promising IMO.

Edited by ofpwriter

Oh to have known these things back around Easter, when I was in Finland! GAH! Gonna have to scrounge through my contacts list and see who I know over there that can send me some...

Martti Kujansuu I love writing related exhibitions! Or at least I would, if I had ever been to any :P

If it's any indication, I spent nearly an hour trying to get a screencap from the show Hovimäki so I could use it for my computer desktop. It's a shot of a manor desk in 1778, with wax seals, feather pen, and written rolls of paper lying across it. (And a bottle of vodka. Which makes me laugh.) I'm using the show as part of my language study, and gleefully gawking at their paper as a side bonus!

Kiitos for the tip about Akateeminen Kirjakauppa. I'm in Valkeakoski, near Tampere, which has one!

I love writing related exhibitions! Or at least I would, if I had ever been to any :P

Here are some some from the Helsinki area if you ever visit there. The good part is most of them have free entry.

The National Library of Finland (They usually have writing-related exhibitions)

Helsinki School Museum (Pens)

Post Museum (Pens & Letters)

Päivälehti Museum (Nice writing desk with pens and papers just right of the main entrance)

Martti

• 6 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought a 100-metre roll of the Tervakoski paper from artdiscount.co.uk for £23, and I am very happy to report that it is thrillingly thin and smooth, and takes ink beautifully. My Diamine Sargasso Sea came out with a beautiful double sheen on it. I have also used Kon Peki, Diamine Ochre and Oxford Blue (sheen, check), and Aurora Black with no trouble.

fpn_1474627498__arttonic_smallest.jpg

Arttonic papers make you want to write. Enjoy them on Instagram if you can't get them in person.

I bought a 100-metre roll of the Tervakoski paper from artdiscount.co.uk for £23, and I am very happy to report that it is thrillingly thin and smooth, and takes ink beautifully. My Diamine Sargasso Sea came out with a beautiful double sheen on it. I have also used Kon Peki, Diamine Ochre and Oxford Blue (sheen, check), and Aurora Black with no trouble.

100 metres! Pics would be much appreciated!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 1 month later...

It is so thin that 100 metres (admittedly unmeasured) is not so big. Attached are some pictures to show the size, and a couple of inks. Diamine Oxford Blue and Sargasso Sea sheen fantastically, though I couldn't get it to show up. A small amount of Kon Peki sheen showed up — probably as much as you would want for a page of writing anyway. Nothing I have tried on it so far has feathered, with Noodler's Dostoevsky being my worst ink in that vein.

fpn_1477618105__fullsizerender_3.jpgfpn_1477618087__fullsizerender_2.jpgfpn_1477618056__fullsizerender_1.jpg

Edited by inkish

Arttonic papers make you want to write. Enjoy them on Instagram if you can't get them in person.

This shows the sheen a little. Private Reserve Ebony Purple does not sheen at all, but looks velvety.

Sheen.JPG

Thank you for the pictures, Inkish. Very interesting. If I could convince myself I'd find a use for it, I'd be quite tempted to give it a try myself.

I am using it to write letters. It doesn't look very white here, but that is just because the wood is showing through. It is a pure white.

IMG_0830.JPG

Diamine Oxford Blue and Noodler's Burma Road Brown

Ah, you have a beautiful hand, Inkish. A pleasure to see it. Now if my handwriting could be half so good as a result of this paper, it would be an easy purchase!

By the time you get to the second half of the roll, I'm sure your writing will be much improved.