Two Ultra Fine Binder Nibs

Phthalo

Just a quick note to show two nibs I bought from Richard Binder recently:

• 0.2mm XXXF Needlepoint
  • 0.3mm XXF Crisp Italic

This was my first custom italic nib, and I'm hooked - more italic nibs will be coming my way for sure. :D I have been increasingly disenchanted with the standard EF/F mono-line nibs on many of my pens lately, and now I can't imagine going back to them - my tiny writing just gets destroyed. For me, ultra fine custom nibs will be the new standard.

I generally have tiny handwriting, but I was amazed at what I produced with such a fine point in my hands again. The below sample is a scan which is a little larger than actual size: (Note - My lowercase letters in the paper sample below are not much more than 1mm high.)

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/images/PH-Actual.jpg

Here is an enlarged bit of scribble attempting to show the width of my new Binder nibs compared to some of my other nibs:

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/images/PH-Compare.jpg

The 0.2mm Needlepoint is like using a Rotring Rapidograph technical drawing/drafting pen, but without the fear that I'll bend one of those tiny points. I can easily write very rapidly with this nib, and the lines are true hairlines.

The 0.3mm is a refreshingly challenging nib. It's sharp and touchy, and it lets me know when I write too quickly, but I can still go at a pretty nice pace with it. It's the definite favourite. For such a tiny point, the line variation is excellent.

These are steel nibs, bought to be used in my Pelikan Souveran M400 and Pelikan 250 / 200 pens. I’ll either buy further custom nibs to replace my original Pelikan nibs, or have them ground to a more suitable size.

Overall, I am extremely happy with these sweet little nibs and Richard’s excellent service! http://www.ciar-roisin.net/images/ei/thumbsup.gif

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phthalo

• meanwhile

• Richard

• Kelly

Very nice! The Needlepoint is especially impressive. I like! Verra much.

Would you be willing to share the names of the inks, too? I don't want to distract from the nib topic, but some of them are too pretty for me not to ask. :rolleyes:

Lucinda - Sure, though I didn't calibrate the colour in the scans - the inks are a lot brighter/lighter then they seem here.

Sample 1: Sheaffer Turquoise - nothing turquoise about this ink it to my eyes, it's more a pure cyan blue.

Sample 2: Calligraphy - Sheaffer Blue, Sheaffer Burgundy. Pelikan F - R&K Verdigris. Pelikan EF - R&K Alt-Goldgrun. Duke - Noodlers Saguaro Wine. Parker - Penman Ruby. Needlepoint - R&K Alt-Bordeaux. Crisp Italic - Sheaffer Turquoise.

The needlepoint is a great little nib, I'm really pleased. :)

Laura / Phthalo

Superb nibs! Nice writing too, but man is it small! Just curious - any reason as to the small size? Enjoy your wonderful nibs!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Ah, another pocketbook becomes the unsuspecting victim of the sweet Binder cursive?! Aren't they great! I was first ruined by the stub and now have been spoiled by the cursive italic...special nibs are the only way to go for me, too.

Btw, I've got some Stipula Moss Green coming from Pendemonium once another part of my order comes in. I'll let you know when it arrives :)

edited for typos

Edited by Kelly

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

southpaw: I've no idea why my writing is so small, it's just always been that way. I had a few teachers in high school fail me, or make me re-write assignments in which they said the writing was too small to read. When I write for myself, it's tiny, when I write for someone else, I try and keep a more 'normal' size. :)

Kelly: Yes, it has begun... damn it. ;) Definitely keep me informed about the Stipula ink, and did you find some R&K Sepia?

Laura / Phthalo

southpaw: I've no idea why my writing is so small, it's just always been that way. I had a few teachers in high school fail me, or make me re-write assignments in which they said the writing was too small to read. When I write for myself, it's tiny, when I write for someone else, I try and keep a more 'normal' size. :)

Kelly: Yes, it has begun... damn it. ;) Definitely keep me informed about the Stipula ink, and did you find some R&K Sepia?

Will do :) And, no, nothing on the Sepia - waiting for Natalie's shipment...and trying another Sepia but I just love the properties of the R & K inks I have so far and am really waiting on their Sepia. I had a lovely offer from someone overseas but the shipping would kill me. I'm just trying to be patient and not harrass Natalie too much :D

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

The needlepoint is a great little nib, I'm really pleased. :)

The needlepoint looks like it would be great for sketching! Does it have a bit of "spring" or does it have to be a "nail" to preserve the fineness of the line?

Congratulations on two new wonderful nibs! :)

Phthalo, what size nib did Richard start with to produce the 0.3mm XXF? I had been under the impression he had to start with a B and grind it down, but comments like yours from a number of people have pointed to the error in my thinking.

By the way, I share your love of customized nibs, and I am learning to appreciate R&K inks more every day. It is nice to hear affirmation that I am not alone.

Leigh: The nib has a tiny touch of springiness to it, but probably so little I would hesitate to really confirm that. I don't know how well the nib would lend itself to drawing - maybe quick sketches if you had a light touch, but probably more useful for detail work. :)

Frank: Richard started with Pelikan 'F' nibs to make my custom nibs. I have a couple of spare EF nibs now, but I'm not sure if there is enough in them to customize them to Needlepoint sizes - but there is certainly no issue with F nibs. :)

Laura / Phthalo

I've had a few nibs modified by Richard B. to XXF since I also have small handwriting. Most modern nibs are not true XF in the vintage sense. The exception is modern Sailor pens.

Using modern med. and broad sizes is good for short notes and signatures IMHO.

I recently received a Pelikan Cursive Italics from Richard in XXF. Even though it writes small, you can see the difference in line variation.

J.F.

J.F. : That's good information to know - a Cursive Italic nib was next on my list! Also, I have a Sailor 1911M coming my way, so I glad you confirmed what I have been reading about the Sailor nibs. :)

Edited by Phthalo

Laura / Phthalo

Hi,

I did make a 0.07 for myself at one point. Richard does a wonderful job on his nibs.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

Phthalo -

Could you tell us a little more about these nibs? Everyone knows that RB does great work and I for one would like to hear more about them. How wet are they? How do they compare in smoothness compared to regular XF nibs??

- Jonathan

...what size nib did Richard start with...?

I used a Fine for both. I don't buy Pelikan EF nibs because I'm not satisfied with their sizing or consistency. I always start with the smallest nib size that has enough meat to make what I want; it's a pain to have to take off a great blob of iridium to get all the way down to a needlepoint. :)

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

I have one of Richard's xf (vintage style xf) flex nibs with the ball feature, meaning you flip it over for xxxf. This is one of my favorite nibs. Nice flow and incredible line variation. The xxxf underside is shockingly smooth and skip-free.

offbase: Are you refering to Richard's ItaliFine nib? It seems intriguing.

meanwhile: I will try my best to tell you more about my nibs... I hope it doesn't seem too muddled. :)

These aren't wet nibs by any means, they lay a fine amount of ink down to sustain their width most of the time. I have not experienced any skipping. I've tried the pens with an ink mix of my own, a couple of R&K inks, and Sheaffer ink. The 'wettest' ink was R&K's Alt-Goldgrun - in the 0.3 Italic there was about 20% of the definition in the line variation lost.

The nibs don't compare with a regular XF nib by any stretch... at least, none that I own. My original Pelikan EF nibs are sloppy-wet in comparison, and I haven't used them since I got my new nibs.

The 0.2 Needlepoint: Is rather like writing with a tiny Artline fine liner, but you can apply a fair bit more pressure and you won't feel like you're about to split a felt-tip! With cheap paper, I occasionally pick up little paper fibres between the tines, but this generally only happens when I write too quickly. Although the point really is needle-like, I wouldn't say the nib is scratchy, but there is a whole lot of 'tooth' there - you can feel it and hear it.

The 0.3 Crisp Italic: Quite a little marvel, such exquisitely delicate line variation is produced with this nib. There is no getting away from it - this nib is sharp. It's not a Cursive Italic, it's not a Stub - it's just a very tiny, sharp chisel! :) There is definite bite from my nib for example when you draw circles clockwise, or form a letter too quickly in which the motion is to push the nib - anti-clockwise, as you use when you form an "O" or a letter which swings or pulls under, is no problem.

I think that if a group of people tried these nibs, the majority would hate them. They suit a light and patient hand best. I am quite comfortable writing my journal entries with these nibs, but if I were jotting down a list or dashing off a Post-It to someone, while it's easily possible, this tends to be when I catch a miniscule paper fibre or feel the Italic bite. ;)

I hope this makes sense, and at least partially helps out anyone wondering about these nibs... :)

(I will add some additional comments when I receive my Sailor 1911M with XF nib.)

Laura / Phthalo

Are you refering to Richard's ItaliFine nib? It seems intriguing.

Different animal. Offbase is referring to a 14K nib that has been flexified to perform in much the same manner as a vintage flex nib. Waterman, in 1915, patented a design that they called the Duo-tip, which allows you to flip the nib over and write finer on the back side. This is commonly referred to as a ball point because it's properly rounded on all sides. After Waterman's patent expired, other companies made nibs like these. Parker made its Vacumatic nibs as ball points, and Sheaffer's Feathertouch nibs are also ball points. Many of my flexified nibs end up being of this design because it's so handy.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

Phthalo-

That's a marvelous summary! I suspect my handwriting would look bizarre with an italic nib: I really admire people who have the skill to use these. Otoh, I'm very tempted by your description of the needlepoint, especially for drawing. I'll definitely think about getting one of these when I get around to getting a Pelikan. Or maybe I'll send my Rotring XF to Richard to have the ball nib grind done to make the other side XXF.

Edited by meanwhile

- Jonathan

Richard -

Summarizing in idiot-ese: Italifine is a nib that's Cursive Italic on one side, and fine on the other, yes? Where Cursive Italic is a kinder, softer Italic that's arguably better suited to average writing abilities than the full-on Italic?

What sort of nibs can have this conversion? Are medium or broad better bets?

- Jonathan