• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Inka

• Rotomobees

• Sailor Kenshin

Some of the treasures that I otherwise wouldn't have the pleasure of owning, now mine thanks to rotomobees:

Lamy 2000 Millennium Edition, Mustard VP, Visconti Wall Street

And some of the other fun pens to give away:

rOtring core, Pilots, and a fun PAN West German piston filling ballpoint pen(!) How cool is that?

I can't say thanks enough, Rob! Wow!

Well, it has been a week of use and reflection. Allow me a short follow-up. If you've been following this thread, you'll know that the VP wasn't with me long. Scott (Inka) replied that he liked it so much, so I PMed him for his address and had it off to him the next day. Our correspondence and his public posts have just been the coolest! It's fun to have someone to share these treasures and this excitement with. The rOtrings and Pilots are now en route to new student homes, too.

Besides being dem fine pens, I'm really stoked that all three of my daily users have such cool stories to go along with them. I sold off almost all of my pens to help pay mounting expenses, but kept the Pelikan M605 my wife bought me as a first anniversary present last year. Pen number one: a daily reminder of our love and respect for one another. Pens number two and three (Lamy 2000 ME and Visconti Wall Street, gifts from Rotomobees): daily reminders of generosity, humility, and the good that still lives in people. In the midst of long days and crappy news reports, these little fountain pens are solid reminders of they way we can choose to live in the world. This may come across to some as trite or exaggerated, but I rather like the way that my fountain pen collection is shaping up to express the beauty and simplicity of being more, not having more. I'm sure someone could assign a dollar value, but to me they're as good as priceless.

But what do I do with all these VPs? I was thinking about selling just the common ones (I don't have quite the financial independence not to) and keeping the LEs and hard to finds... then again, I don't really use them anyway so I could just flip them all. What do you think?

I kind of did that and now what I have are uncommon pens. Which means that when I want to go somewhere and want to take something I'm willing to risk losing (because it's easy to replace), I'm stymied. Sure, every day I take around some unusual pens, but sometimes it's hard.

What do with with VPs? -- I think honing a collection is a good thing. Removing the clutter around the edges and making the collection more consistent. I think collectors who go through this expand-contract cycle have better collections.

But: risk of losing.

As I mentioned to Roto, my Mother died recently and years ago she had a rolled gold parker 51 given to her my her parents at 21, that she decided was too-good-to-use. It got lost. Unused. It is still "alive", mint, somewhere unknown, but the owner is dead. This is a wrong state of affairs. It is backwards.

Please, all of you: you have two choices when it comes to your wonderful objects, beautiful things.

1) They can outlive you

2) You may outlive them.

You don't want your objects to outlive you: you need to risk outliving them, because you are the most important part of your collections.

A large part, I think, of people not using pristine things (or beautiful expensive things) is a sense of, "I am not worthy to use it" disguised as "oh, let's keep it mint".

They may get lost or misplaced - unlikely, but maybe. They may not even get .. dinged (Oh the horror!). But when they do, they are buried, having lived. And you have outlived them, because you are, after all, the more important party.

People deserve to treat themselves as well as they do their beautiful or special things.

There's also an element of fear. I read folks here who have duplicates in case something happens to one of their favorites. That's a lack of trust that things will come to us when and how they're meant to. Sometimes freeing up space leaves room for even better things to come into your life. Try it and see!

Just an observation, not a criticism:

I'm surprised this thread has lasted such a long time, taking so many different directions too.

I allow myself to think that some people are trying to become friends of Rotomobees/Rob. I noticed how, suddently, several people here revealed a passion for fishing and bees. But saying that they do it because they hope to have a better pen this way would be lacking respect for them, so I do not say it, I do not even think it. One can notice that I myself have participated in making this thread last more than ten pages, several times. And, if I have actually interest in this discussion, at least when it is about the fact that accumulation is not a source of happiness and the radical conclusions drawn by Rotomobees, I must admit that the idea of having one day a pen corresponding to what I search for brings me back here.

I DID used to fish as a kid and am seriously taking it up again. *coughpopeilpocketfishermancough* But I am terrified of bees. They belong as far away from me as possible. :P

My own teeny pen-giveaway is going pretty well! This is an inspirational thread.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

There's also an element of fear. I read folks here who have duplicates in case something happens to one of their favorites. That's a lack of trust that things will come to us when and how they're meant to. Sometimes freeing up space leaves room for even better things to come into your life. Try it and see!

To live in this world

you must be able

to do three things:

to love what is mortal;

to hold it

against your bones knowing

your own life depends on it;

and, when the time comes to let it go,

to let it go.

-Mary Oliver

I shall be doing some pen giveaways myself soon as well, just need some time to sort through and decide.

Really need to figure out what I'd like to keep, post those that others may like to receive, or maybe ask other to post what they'd like to get and why.

I will then send them on their way, to an FPN member & fountain pen-loving friend, so off they will go to the pens' new home!

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Aloha-he, and a wonderfull (whatever daytime you might be reading this...

I just made a list, but have not finished it yet.

I am awaiting a response to a PM I made, I have been fortunate enough to get a lot of things needed for iillustrational and graphical work, like all this rapidographs and Isographs. One story I read here took me emotionally, and so I thought a lot of people might benefit when I give away these things, and get some charity amount or so for it, I must see how to formulate what I want in english.

So I could use the mney I might get for these things tu use for this members needs.

Well, let's see..... first things first.

I once had the chance to get a big fat package with 92 Rapidographs and Isographs for a small percentage of their worth.

A store had gone "insolvent", I do not know the proper english term for it.

They could not pay their bills any more and therefore had to close, and the rest of their stock was sold to pay as much as possible from open bills. Looks like I had a horrible amount of money, no, it was just a horrible amount of luck.

More than 60 percent I already sold on for small small money to students of my acamdemy, so all could have profitted from my luck.

Around 100 happy customers already ^_^

Another thing I got have been around 500 Mechanical pencils, 0.5mm, missprints, where the supposed commercial print did went wrong, and the are simple, more than 20 years old, but hey, they all work.

Pencilshaped.

And I received once Watercolours from Schmincke, something like 900 half to Full pieces, All new, all originally wrapped, Old stock of colours not produced any longer.

People using these colours know how long their last, and that their quality is beyond money values.

My Director once gave them to me while I was studying, he received them from this company, had them for years, and asked me to pass them on to other students and artists for small money so I could get some money for food, since I had some hard times back then.

I am going to put them here for small money up to nothiing, for sale, sharing, charity, whatsoever, I do not know.

Let's await the PM.

And to give you a list, I put here, what I am already willing to sell.

And promised, for a small small amount.

Thanks a lot for the ime reading my post and have fun with a "small" list......

________________________________________________________________________________

Isographs / Rapidographs

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/7426/dsc0012002.jpg

Helit Roller Blotter for Dyring Ink in Box – 1

Helit Roller Blotter for Drying Ink NOS – 1

Helit Roller Blotter Spare Rolls - 3

Rotring Drawing Ink Permanent Black 1oz./30ml. - 2

Rotring Isographs / Rapidographs Pen Station - 5

Rotring Isograph Spare Barrels - 7

Rotring Pressure Bulb for Cleaning Isographs / Rapidographs - 1

Rotring Isograph Steel Nib 0.13mm – 2 (One New and never Inked, One with dried up nib)

Rotring Isograph Steel Nib Replacement 0.13mm – 1

Rotring Isograph Steel Nib 0.18mm – 2 (One New and never Inked, One with dried up nib)

Rotring Isograph 0.5mm – 2 (2 New and never inked, One without Cap)

Rotring Isograph F Gold Nib 1.0mm – 4 (One without Cap, all new and never inked)

Rotring Isograph F Gold nib Replacement 1.0mm - 1

Rotring Isograph P Hardened Steel Nib for Film & Paper / Acid Permanent Inks 2.0mm - 1

Rotring Rapidograph Steel Nib 0.25mm – 1 (Barrel, Cap, Clutch Ring, No Nib & Cartridge, Spare Parts)

Rotring Rapidograph Steel Nib 0.35mm – 1

Rotring Rapidograph Steel Nib 0.35mm – 1 (Barrel, Cap, Clutch Ring, No Nib & Cartridge, Spare Parts)

Rotring Rapidograph Steel Nib 0.5mm – 1 without cap, 1 dried up nib

Rotring Rapidograph Steel Nib 0.5mm – 1 (Barrel, Cap, Clutch Ring, No Nib & Cartridge, Spare Parts)

Rotring Rapidograph Steel Nib 0.7mm – 4 (3 New and never inked, One with dried up nib)

Rotring Rapidograph F Gold Nib 1.0mm – 5 (4 New and never inked, One with dried up nib)

Rotring Rapidograph F Gold Nib Replacement 1.0mm - 1

Rotring Rapidoliner 0.35mm – 1

Rotring Rapidoliner 0.5mm - 1

Rotring Finograph Fineliner Felt Tipped 0.3mm working - 1

Staedtler India Ink Black 1oz./30ml. - 1

Staedtler India Ink Blue 1oz./30ml. - 1

Staedtler India Ink Brown 1oz./30ml. - 1

Staedtler India Ink Green 1oz./30ml. - 1

Staedtler India Ink Violet 1oz./30ml. - 3

Staedtler India Ink Yellow 1oz./30ml. - 1

Staedtler Marsmagno2 0.25mm – 2 (one with broken Barrel)

Staedtler Marsmagno2 0.35mm – 1

Staedtler Marsmagno2 1.0mm - 1

Staedler Marsmagno2 Circle Adapter - 3

Staedtler Marsmagno2 Replacement Nibs 0.13mm - 1

Staedtler Marsmagno2 Replacement Nibs 0.25mm - 2

Staedtler Marsmagno2 Replacement Nibs 0.7mm - 1

Staedtler Marsmatic Cartridges 5 per Pack – 8

Staedtler Marsmatic 700 0.18 – 1 dried up nib (needs replacement nib)

Staedtler Marsmatic 700 0.35mm – 1 Cleaned

Staedtler Marsmatic 700 1.0mm – 2 New

Staedlter Marsmatic 700 1.4mm - 1

Staedtler Marsmatic 757 Replacement Tips Duranite 1.4mm - 5

Staedtler Marsmatic Jewel Replacement Tips for Film & Paper 1.0mm – 5

Staedtler Marsmatic Replacement Tips for Paper

Staedtler Mars Razor India Ink Eraser Strings suitable for Tikkys - 8

________________________________________________________________________________

Schmincke Water Colours /Aquarellistic Colours

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/1075/dsc0172002.jpg

Brilliant Green 1 Half – 3

Brilliant Orange 1 Full - 1

Brilliant Orange 2 Full – 4

Brilliant Orange 2 Half – 9

Brilliant Purpur / Purple Full – 1

Brilliant Purpur / Purple Half – 6

Brilliant Red 1 Full – 2

Brilliant Red 2 Half - 10

Brilliant Turquoise Full – 14

Brilliant Turquoise Half – 5

Brilliant Violet Full - 2

Brilliant Yellow Green Half - 6

Brilliant Yellow Light Half – 25

Carmine Full – 18

Cobalt Green Deep Full – 7

Cobalt Violet Deep Half - 4

Golden Ochre Half - 31

Magenta Half – 64

Opaque Green Light Imitated Full - 2

Permanent Orange Full - 2

Permanent Red 3 Full - 24

Permanent Red 3 Half - 63

Permanent Violet Half – 8

Stil de Grain Vert / Pink Green Half – 1

This is the life we chose, the life we lead... and there is... only... one guarantee. ... None of us will see heaven!

Happiness is not defined by what maximum you can afford, but by which minimum you are satisfied.

That's lovely! It really belongs in the MarketPlace, but does seem in the spirit of the thread.

I think the English word you're looking for is "bankruptcy"

I have enjoyed this thread. What finally dawned on me was the realization that you are all rediscovering something that you have experienced before but maybe when you were little, or perhaps in another season.

All the elements are there, good people...

Reflection on what is most important in life.

Thoughts of mortality and the transience of possessions.

Selfless giving that inspires good will and generosity in others.

Recognition that the joy one receives from material things is not in their being amassed but when they are shared with goodness of spirit.

The surprise and warmth that comes from being confronted with kindness in a world that has taught us to be cynical.

Realization that selfishness and excess are sins against one's self more than against others.

The lightness one feels as life's defenses drop away and we can see the good that is within those around us.

It is truly magic.

MERRY CHRISTMAS FPN

Edited by PatientType

I am a collector and I practically sold my entire collection (around 150 pens) and decided to concentrate at Snorkels and MB WE's.

I don't have an obbsessive need to fill my house with pens as it will simply make me loose interest in pens.

I need a focus group or I run to all direction and at the end loose interest.

Respect to all

im still trying to find the pen that i want to collect, im thinking the viscontivan gogh would do it for me, its just a great pen to use.

I once was a rabid collector of fountain pens. And I mean rabid -- I have well over a thousand pens: hundreds of Pilots, Sailors, Platinums, Viscontis, Kawecos, Pelikans, and other high-end pens. I probably have one of the largest collections of Vanishing Points in the country -- well over a 150. I once got on a kick of collecting Esterbrook desk sets. I have them in every color and shape. But I've suddenly lost interest in my pens and pen collecting. I cannot understand why my interests have changed. Maybe I have too many pens. Perhaps I should sell them and focus on one brand. Even though fountain pens have lost their sparkle, I have yet to bring myself to part with any. So, have any other pen collectors had a similar experience?

The wisest guy on the planet had it all: brains, 700 wives and 300 women on the side (concubines); finest wines, 26 tons of gold every year, etc... Then he wrote the Book of Ecclesiastes.

He had done it all and owned it all and got bored because even ALL of what the world had to offer could not fulfill him. It makes Ecclesiastes ( and the whole Bible for that matter) worth reading. :thumbup:

pendletonspens.com

~ May the Lord smile on you ~

Sounds like my Krones - all discontinued models.

Which you got cheaper?!?!?! Or found out after spending a fortune they went cheaper???:headsmack:

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I'm new to this board and new to fountain pens as well. I'd been ignoring this thread because, well, I'm just *getting* interested in pens. I wasn't sure why anyone would be losing theirs!

Now that I've read it... and I've read ALL of it... wow. Just "wow."

Rob, you're to be highly commended for your generosity and for using your collection to make so many others happy. It's wonderful that you figured out how to turn a situation that was apparently causing you some vexation into such a positive one. I hope that you are gaining a commensurate level of satisfaction from the knowledge that your gifts to others are so very much appreciated.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

+1

Helps if you do it in the New King James for the lyrical language.

+2

You should try reading one of the exact reproductions of the original 1611 King James Bible sometime, if you haven’t already.

I have a U.S.A.-Made reproduction of the original 1611 King James Bible, in the Old English text that most people cannot even read.

From the moment I’d picked it up I had no problem reading it at all, even having never seen this type of text or font before in my life.

It was meant to be mine, I was sure of that from the moment I’d picked it up and began reading it to the store owner, who himself had tried to read many times over 3 years and was never able to do so.

It even has all the original and beautiful artwork from back then, simply an amazing book.

Tired now and a little sketchy on the details, but I seem to recall that in 1611 King James had order over 50 scribes [maybe more] from all the religions in his kingdom to come together to translate the original text into one that all the religions could agree upon.

King James had done this to put an end to all the religious strife in his kingdom, some of it very brutal and even deadly at times, just over their differences of opinions and beliefs.

It was a gift from my wife in 1993, for my 35th birthday on July 5th, a beautiful and fascinating book to be sure.

I had seen one of the originals in a museum once and mine looks just like it.

Very cool Bible.

Good night [good morning, G’day, whatever the time or day and wherever you are], FPN, be seeing you a gain soon.

~Scott~

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009