Losing interest in pens

Rotomobees

I have had a passion for writing instruments since the late 80's, but must agree it is a seasonal experience or perhaps a better word would be cyclical. There are times when I collect pens like the maniac I am at heart, and other times my passions focus more on timepieces, books, travel, numismatics, and then cycles back again to writing instruments.

I don't think this is abnormal and it keeps things fresh.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Inka

• Rotomobees

• Sailor Kenshin

When he's just a little older, I recommend The Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.

Thank you, just too a quick glance on Wikipedia about this series of books.

I have not heard of it before now, mentioned it to my wife and she knew exactly what it is, even looks like something I'd be interested it, even as "over-the-speed bump" old as I am now.

My nephew reads far above his age and grade level, was reading Star Wars paperbacks and other adult level books when only in the 1st grade!

I haven't seen him in a couple of years, as he lives @ 1,000 miles away, but last time there for a visit he was playing PS2 video games like Castlevania: Curse of Darkness, well above his age level.

I'd played the old side-scrolling versions of Castlevania for years, like on the old Nintendo system and the original Game Boy, I was already in my 20s or 30s when I got into them and this kid blows me away with the 3-D version and how good he is at it.

The kid is like a mini genius, told me "Shhh..., I'm not supposed to tell anyone I play this game, my Mom and Dad could get in big trouble. Other adults would think it will warp my mind."

I had to fight back the laughter, just told him "I won't tell, I think it's cool!", then he went on playing, telling be the background story and what powers he could get.

Out of the blue while playing, he went on to say "I don't use cheat codes.", adding "That's just cheating and that's not challenging! Besides, I wouldn't learn anything if I use cheat codes. My friends all use cheat codes and they think I'm weird because I don't use them. I can't tell them I even have this game or they'll tell their mothers and get my parents in trouble. My friends have big mouths and they'd get jealous."

He's an amazing little guy, smart beyond his years, so I can't wait to get him writing with a fountain pen, Blue Ghost or not, to get him to start writing me and me writing him back.

The poem book is pretty in depth, it's the Oxford Book of Dragon Poems. For a wonderful fantasy with dragons and griffins I would recommend Dianne Wynne Jones, 'The Dark Lord of Derkholm' or any of her books, 'Howls Moving Castle' is one of hers, that was made into a japanese animation film. Anyone else read her books?

The poem book is pretty in depth, it's the Oxford Book of Dragon Poems. For a wonderful fantasy with dragons and griffins I would recommend Dianne Wynne Jones, 'The Dark Lord of Derkholm' or any of her books, 'Howls Moving Castle' is one of hers, that was made into a japanese animation film. Anyone else read her books?

Being a big fan of Miyazaki, I naturally had to read "Howl' after seeing the film.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I admit to not reading the entire thread as it's just overwhelming looking at 15 pages. Can someone give an abridged summary of the part applicable to a brand new guy just a few weeks into fountain penning? I'm barely started on acquiring Esterbrooks and really wanting to start with Pelikans and hope to avoid reaching a point where I look at my pens and have no interest in them.

Quickly:

Rotomobees (Rob) has a huge collection of pens, but he has realized that accumulation of material goods does not bring happiness, and that giving brings more satisfaction than receiving. So as to prove this, after some pages of discussion, he revealed a decision: people who ask him for a pen within fourty-eight hours will receive one. From then, people receive pens from him, expensive ones.

He has received enough answers to be "a little overwhelmed", probably because the information also travelled through email. Hence he is not able to reply to all immediately, which means this thread should last quite long. In the meanwhile, people spoke about beekeeping, fishing and other things.

The part which applies to a person new to fountain pens is that a pen should be used. The part which applies to anybody is that giving brings happiness, while owning does not.

I hope not to have distorted Rotomobees' ideas.

Thanks, I needed this summary for I lost track of the thread!

edited for typo.

Edited by alvarez57

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

I, too, came to the thread late, but reading it through has really been impressive. I have been in a great mood for two days as a result, and have been thinking of what pen I can give away to a cousin, who seeing me write with my Cross Solo said, " Wow! where did you get that old pen?" and then just had to use it to write something down. The recognition was instant. He commented that the ink wasn't black or blue, so he will probably enjoy inks.

I'm giving one of two Kaweko Sports "Ice" fountain pens I got as a gift to a young Missionary, his eyes lit up like a kid on Christmas morning that gets what they want instead of socks and underwear, with the mere mention of it.

It looks like this one here, picture borrowed from the "Attic" at Swisher Pens since I don't have a macro of my own...

http://www.swisherpens.com/attic/images/Orange_FP_5002.jpg

He's not allowed Internet access, TV, newspapers, while on his mission, he's never even used a fountain pen, but he is allowed to write letters to family and friends while away from home in a strange place or country.

Since he's leaving for another country this Thursday, a new mission calling location, it will be great to smooth & adjust the nib and give it to him at church this Wednesday evening, along with a cartridge each of Private Reserve Velvet Black and one of DC Supershow Blue to get him started.

It's great making new converts to fountain pens, especially those that get so excited once they try one for the first time and get that overwhelming feeling I had the first time I'd used one that actually worked right.

My first experiences many years ago nearly spoiled the experience for me for life, had not I gotten one that worked as a Christmas gift and found they can actually write without skipping, without blurping and leaking, when you get one that actually works as they're supposed to work.

Luckily I've not reached the point where I'm getting tired of fountain pens yet, only have a few and only a couple I can write with for very long they still excite me each time I write with them.

I'm hoping that as long as I stick to the "user" pens and avoid ever collecting them that I'll remain content with what I have.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I'm still in the process of the distributing pens. If you've not heard from me, don't worry. I've been a little busy moving dirt to my backyard to reshape the terrain. I live in Utah so I'm anxious to get the project finished before it gets too cold. And I'm a little busy with work as we are restructuring some positions in a effort to cut costs in the tight economy. I will get back to sending out some pens tomorrow. Thanks for your patience in this little project of mine.

Rob

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I'm still in the process of the distributing pens. If you've not heard from me, don't worry. I've been a little busy moving dirt to my backyard to reshape the terrain. I live in Utah so I'm anxious to get the project finished before it gets too cold. And I'm a little busy with work as we are restructuring some positions in a effort to cut costs in the tight economy. I will get back to sending out some pens tomorrow. Thanks for your patience in this little project of mine.

Hope the yard work's going well. I kind of miss it, in truth, having grown up in a house for 18 years and then lived in an apartment since (though I suspect I could quickly learn to not miss it again).

Edited by Silvermink

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Rob

I was in Utah just after Thanksgiving 2007. It was beautiful then. I wish I'd been on vacation and had time to really enjoy it instead of working and seeing it while driving through.

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

-----

Common sense isn't "right wing" unless you are too far to the left.

-----

www.ebookgab.com for all readers of ebooks

Terrain can be all important, depending on your climate. Since I sit between two lakes, I keep an eye on mine to make sure they haven't decided to merge.

Rob

Happy to have some news. It had been a long time. I hope what you call "restructuring" is not what I call "firing". Well, I just try to understand things better with the vocabulary of my blue-collar worker origins. Just like a rabbit would call a body what a hunter calls food. And, sorry too be a bit provocative, but I would not like at all to be used by someone as a conscience excuse ("I do harsh things to get my high salary, but look, I give one percent of what I earn this way to a charity, so you can not say profit is my only interst"). Don't get me wrong: I am not exacly like the origins I refer to, and I know (small) company owners making actual good. And I eat meat, including from rabbits.

... A bit "airport fiction" - no brain required but very readable and enjoyable ...

I love cultural differences, especially in language. And here seems to be a funny one. Is "airport fiction" actually often used in America? Here in France we say "roman de gare", litterally "railway station novel", in order to talk about exactly the same concept. This is something very interesting to me. But quite offtopic.

Pens I use very often: Lamy Accent ("EF": fine), Lamy Accent ("1.1": medium italic), Pilot Custom ("FA": extra-fine flexible).

To Rob;

Wonderful thing you are doing, and while I was late to the party I'd still like to thank you for it... ;) I just joined the forum AS you were doing this so it wouldn't have been appropriate for me to message you anyway! (IMO) Not to mention I couldn't afford the shipping (let alone more) anyhow at the moment, lol...

I really hope everyone that gets these pens enjoys and appreciates them, an opportunity like this is quite rare and regardless of the reasons shouldn't be underappreciated... Maybe those receiving these (free or cheap) could do something simple in return like send Rob a postcard -written with one of the pens of course!- with a nice note or drawing expressing their thanks?

... A bit "airport fiction" - no brain required but very readable and enjoyable ...

I love cultural differences, especially in language. And here seems to be a funny one. Is "airport fiction" actually often used in America? Here in France we say "roman de gare", litterally "railway station novel", in order to talk about exactly the same concept. This is something very interesting to me. But quite offtopic.

I haven't heard it, but I don't fly that much... I tend to use the phrase, "supermarket novels" referring to the novel of the week, bestsellers and romance lit that appear in the small book section at most grocery stores....

-MJ

Samantha Carter - You spent seven years on MacGyver and you can't figure this one out? We got belt buckles and shoe laces and a piece of gum, build a nuclear reactor for crying out loud! You used to be MacGyver, MacGadget, MacGimmick. Now you're Mr MacUseless. Dear God! I'm stuck on a glacier with MacGyver!

Edward : Say it... Out loud...

Bella : Vampire...

Rifftrax: Close. I'm a Metropire.

i'm so sorry i haven't been able to post picks of the pelikan 1931 LE rob gave me...i'm swamped. i will make a post soon. i look at the pen everyday!!1 also, the pilot 2a is in my line up of pens i use everyday and now i'm into vintage!!! my school gave me some extra financial aid i wasn't expecting because i'm a good student so i bought a vintage fp for 80 (that's a big purchase for me).

can't thank rob enough :)

Just a quick note to let everyone know that I'm still in the process of the distributing pens. If you've not heard from me, don't worry...

Rob

Not that he needs my help but I can testify that if Rob says he'll be sending something, he will!

Just be patient with him; he'd sent mine out when he was able to and I'd just waited patiently as he'd asked me to, well worth it.

After all, it's not like you're investing hundreds in a purchase and wondering where your money went, while waiting for it to arrive.

As they're gifts from the heart, give him the gift of patience and you'll be richly rewarded for it, whatever he sends you, you can trust me on this.

Scott

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

i can attest to this too!

patience is a good thing:

new pel 1931 le from Rob (picture off the web)

post-32799-1252004556_thumb.jpg

There it is!!!

I'd been wanting to see a picture of this pen and while not yours I still appreciate seeing one!

:thumbup:

Nice!!!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

My NOS Rotring 1928 "Titenkuli" [Visconti?] pen from Rob, in my hand unposted and uncapped, before I'd filled it for the first time...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/K.jpg

Posted, this pen is such a whopping monster that I couldn't even get it all in the picture clearly, not enough DOF to my pocket camera...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/L.jpg

It's probably bigger than a Pelikan M1000, while not sure since I've never held an M1000 I am pretty certain it at least weighs a lot more.

I love this pen, the most comfortable pen I have ever held in my life, I write with it every single day now and can't seem to get enough of it!

That's a beauty! What color is it? I love looking at big, beautiful pens even if I can't hold 'em.

Well? Let's see some writing samples.... ;)

My own cheap pen giveaway went well, AND fast. Thanks to Rotomobees for getting this all started. :thumbup:

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

That's a beauty! What color is it? ...

Well? Let's see some writing samples.... ;)...

the color, well, it kinda changes color like a Russian Alexandrite gemstone, just not the same blues and purples as seen in Alexandrite.

What I mean is that in incandescent lighting it looks a deep teal green-blue opalescent or MOP, while in direct sunlight or under florescent lighting it's more of a blue-green opalescent or MOP [Mother Of Pearl].

As for writing samples, here ya go, this one done using the Stylographic or "needle" nib as some call them, for mechanical and technical drawing.

I hadn't done and drawing as such in nearly 20 years, haven't found all my old templates yet either, but nice for when you need a pen for drawing or running against a template or straight-edge...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Rotring-1928-Stylograph-tes.jpg

This one, done on white Staples sugarcane bagasse paper, shows off the ink a little better that I'd blended not too long ago, along with showing the nice line variation I get from the standard F gold nib it came with ...

http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/InkaFX/Rotring-1928-LE-Writing-Sam.jpg

This is one pen I cannot get enough of, fits my big ol' hand better than any I have ever tried and doesn't cause hand-fatigue or pain I get from using smaller pens for long periods.

It's huge, it's heavy, it's definitely not for everyone but it fits me perfectly [and interestingly it's one that Rob picked out for me, I didn't even know this pen existed!].

I could almost swear that Rob reads minds, as he had me pegged as if he's known me my entire life when he'd chosen to send me this particular pen.

I couldn't have picked a better one had I known what pens he has in his collection, or if I had the chance to choose any pen I have ever seen, simply perfect for me!