Losing interest in pens

Rotomobees

Very interesting thread and see everybody's response from psychoanalysis to a pat in the shoulder!

I've thought the same thing myself. Consumerism is big in our society and the "I want it" thing or that happiness is related to acquisition of items. I fall into the consumerist line, I shall confess. And I have also slowed down in pen buying for I do have plenty plenty pens for my own pleasure and this time be more selective of what I want to buy.... theoretically.... :headsmack:

Rotomobees, it is admirable what you have done and concluded. Hats off.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Inka

• Rotomobees

• Sailor Kenshin

I'm entirely new to bidding on e-bay, I still balk at shipping or postage costs. :) The only pen I've won so far is a Hero pen, for $3.13, and am asking for the paypal address so that the person who's letting me pay with his paypal account can pay for me, and I'll just pay him (not the seller.). It's a bit confusing, to tell the truth...

I'm happy that we've been talking about this actually. While I do want a lot of pens, being a student I'm forced to start slowly, and this thread topic has made me aware that more doesn't necessarily mean you will be happy, or satisfied.

It's certainly something to think about.

Denise

I think I am having another problem: I am GAINING interest in pens, at the moment it's not an addiction because (fortunately or not) I don't have money to spend on pens but I spend ~1-2h daily on your forum, reading about pens, papers, inks, and looking amazed at the pictures of some really-really beautiful pens. Should I also mention visiting many online FP shops and checking out the prices and the models?

Should I stop now before it becomes an addiction? Will I be able to quit later if it becomes a drug? :)

I think I am having another problem: I am GAINING interest in pens, at the moment it's not an addiction because (fortunately or not) I don't have money to spend on pens but I spend ~1-2h daily on your forum, reading about pens, papers, inks, and looking amazed at the pictures of some really-really beautiful pens. Should I also mention visiting many online FP shops and checking out the prices and the models?

Should I stop now before it becomes an addiction? Will I be able to quit later if it becomes a drug? :)

It's too late, I'm afraid. Best to get your wallet out and hope for the best.

Anton Emdin

Illustrations & Cartoons

www.antonemdin.com

Will I be able to quit later if it becomes a drug? :)

Of course you will. We can all quit. All it takes is about six feet of dirt on top of us.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

It's just stuff, people. Pretty stuff. But if you could swap 'em to do something big, you'd do it in a heartbeat.

Roto, You're sweet to make opportunities for others. I have to agree with you, as I periodically make passes through my house and possessions, shocked by the abundance. Charities and used bookstores love me.

My criteria is to check if I've used something in the last year or if it has a special meaning to me. If not, it seems like clearing what isn't loved brings room for other things to enter your life.

Ditto for me. I have found that clearing out things/objects, which take up physical space in my home, actually makes room in my psychological space. I then seem to become more aware of all that is around me in the world — more receptive to the reds and golds and silvers of an early morning sunrise, more receptive to other people and all their verbal and nonverbal communication, more aware of the beauty in the glowing yellow petals of a lone dandelion blossom through dappled light... Clearing out excess baggage frees up space inside me and I become more open and alive — hungry for living rather than full, satiated. Just something to think about...

I once was a rabid collector of fountain pens. And I mean rabid -- I have well over a thousand pens: hundreds of Pilots, Sailors, Platinums, Viscontis, Kawecos, Pelikans, and other high-end pens. I probably have one of the largest collections of Vanishing Points in the country -- well over a 150. I once got on a kick of collecting Esterbrook desk sets. I have them in every color and shape. But I've suddenly lost interest in my pens and pen collecting. I cannot understand why my interests have changed. Maybe I have too many pens. Perhaps I should sell them and focus on one brand. Even though fountain pens have lost their sparkle, I have yet to bring myself to part with any. So, have any other pen collectors had a similar experience?

"Saturation" ????

Have Camera....Will Travel....Wire SigSauerFan AT Hotmail DOT com

Inveterate trader. Send me a note for my list of pens, watches, knives and other fun things for sale or trade....

The Danitrio Fellowship

I started the same way: Collecting everything I could afford including inks and paper. But after a year or two it was just too much and I sold most of it. I treasure what I have now as my grail pens and everyday workhorses are all custom nibbed for my style (italic) and perfect.

Paper and ink are different discussions as one still needs to buy them occasionally as supplies run down.

I have 15 fountain pens right now and that is just right. My Omas pens get the brunt of the workout with the Visconti,Omas Milord and Conklin getting the duty of "going to work" pens. Same with my Tryphon Clef.

So, yes: I have had those days of collecting and they are past. I concentrate more on writing letters and poetry than acquiring more writing utensils.

Jim

Ditto for me. I have found that clearing out things/objects, which take up physical space in my home, actually makes room in my psychological space. I then seem to become more aware of all that is around me in the world — more receptive to the reds and golds and silvers of an early morning sunrise, more receptive to other people and all their verbal and nonverbal communication, more aware of the beauty in the glowing yellow petals of a lone dandelion blossom through dappled light... Clearing out excess baggage frees up space inside me and I become more open and alive — hungry for living rather than full, satiated. Just something to think about...

Rotomobees , this is a beautiful initiative ...

I do agree so much with Rena : it feels so good to give and to free oneself of too many things . I'm sure also these pens will have a special value to those receiving them.

Dear All-- It was quite a surprise when I got a reply back from rotomobees that said I live 30 minutes away and why don't I stop by some time to pick out something for myself. Talk about small world! I just got back from his home and I have to say I'm floored. I've never seen that many fountain pens in one place. What a treat to see them all.

I'm still a bit surprised that the gifts I received are now my pens--gifts that I'll treasure for a long time. Not only that, but Rob gave me a few pens to give away to students or members here on FPN. I'll have fun paying it forward!

Rob--Whether you know it or not, you'll now be a part of my life. That is to say, whenever I use the pens you gave me, I'll be reminded of you and your generosity, which will be quite a lot, actually: writing sweet nothings to my sweetie, grading student papers, doing my own academic and professional writing, sending checks off to help my mother, and so on. The gifts are very nice, but I'm most touched by the act of giving. Thank you for inviting me in to your home, sharing your time with me, showing off your extensive collection, and sharing a piece of it with me. What a touching gesture!

Blessings to you,

Brandon

Some of the treasures that I otherwise wouldn't have the pleasure of owning, now mine thanks to rotomobees:

Lamy 2000 Millennium Edition, Mustard VP, Visconti Wall Street

And some of the other fun pens to give away:

rOtring core, Pilots, and a fun PAN West German piston filling ballpoint pen(!) How cool is that?

I can't say thanks enough, Rob! Wow!

I've GOT to relocate!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Cool pens, cool dude, cool memories. Doesn't get much better'n that. :thumbup:

Yes, very cool. The only thing better: having the afternoon off to enjoy it all! :cloud9:

Edited by bphollin

... whenever I use the pens you gave me, I'll be reminded of you and your generosity...

I can relate to that, having traded my only-ever Pelikan, a NIB M605 that I'd found to be too small for me, for a gently used "Old Style" M800 that I find fits me perfectly.

I think of the FPN member that traded with me each time I use the M800!

If not for that trade, I may not have been able to find that the M800 is such a good fit for my particular needs. I certainly couldn't afford to buy a new one.

Lamy 2000 Millennium Edition, Mustard VP,...

I'm touched, and must admit to being just a tiny little bit envious.

:crybaby:

Other than my desire to one day own a Pelikan M1000 and/or an M800 Demonstrator [marked/unmarked/green/Blue Ocean, I don't care, I'd just like a clear M800] I've had my eye on the Lamy 2000 ME and a Mustard Yellow Vanishing Point for some time now, figuring I'd never be able to find either, let alone afford to buy one.

I know you'll enjoy them, since I certainly know I would.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

I should have mentioned that I live in Salt Lake City, Utah. So if anyone is near me, let me know and I'll be happy to meet up.

Dear All-- It was quite a surprise when I got a reply back from rotomobees that said I live 30 minutes away and why don't I stop by some time to pick out something for myself. Talk about small world! I just got back from his home and I have to say I'm floored. I've never seen that many fountain pens in one place. What a treat to see them all.

Brandon,

Thanks for posting pics of the pens. I would never get around to doing it. Thanks also for letting people know that this is for real and that I'm not trying to manipulate folks into false admiration for me. My real motivation is to share these pens with people who will use them rather than leave them to sit and decay in my cabinet. Many people have mentioned to me in messages that they now feel like giving a pen to someone. Again, this is was never in my thoughts, viz., to start a "pay it forward" movement. But I'm thrilled that some readers have been motivated so. Imagine what a revolutionary and dangerous idea it is to just give stuff away. I'm not using something so I give it to someone else. That person no longer has to spend money to purchase the item. What if everyone started to do this, even to a small extent? The entire economy could be undermined. It would change the value we place on things. No longer would we look to things to make us happy but as items to make for better human living.

Rob (Rotomobees)

I'm very impressed with your generosity, Rob. And Brandon — sounds as though you had a memorable day! Wonderful all the way! :wub: ----> Pen Community Camaradarie

Rob,

What a great idea for paying it forward, and a great story, Brandon. I wish pens were given away instead of being bought - I know I would have never experienced the pen I am getting without you. (It should arrive any day now!!! :clap1: )

George

but I had to pull one because the recipient informed me that color nauseated him/her.

Dear Rotomobees

I just stumbled on this thread and I am in awe about you turning a situation that was negative for you into a very positive experience/example for others. You have made people happy by giving them an item that otherwise would have been out of their reach and you have made others think differently about what it means to have possessions. I also looks like you have made a new friend. All is one fell swoop. You are truly an example of 'walking the walk'.

I must say though that the above part in your post made me a bit upset. The fact that someone who has been given a gift can react in such an ungracious manner is well...upsetting. By the way you talk it seems like you can accept that with more fortitude that I would have been able. I just wanted to give my $2 cents on that and hope that you don't have any more negative experiences like that.

Although I agree that pens are in some sense 'just' a possession, to me my pens (all 2 of them) do mean something different. One pen is the one I inherited from my grandfather. The other one was a gift from my husband and they both mean so much more than just their monetary value. When I write with them they are a tactile reminder of 2 people I love (although my grandfather passed away). Also for me at the moment buying a pen is now not an option (long story about unemployment and sinking all our savings into applying for a greencard in the hope to be able to stay in the US and make a life here). So money is very tight. However the idea that somewhere in the future I would be able again to buy a gift for myself that is shiny and new and beautiful is something that makes me feel...um I don't know the word but it makes me feel that even though now I am not able to give myself things that are a luxury it will be possible again someday. It;s a hopeful feeling.

I started to ramble now so I'll just stop.

Again thank you for the beautiful thing you are doing for fellow FPNers.

Be careful with those bees :)

Kariboo