Losing interest in pens

Rotomobees

I once was a rabid collector of fountain pens. And I mean rabid -- I have well over a thousand pens: hundreds of Pilots, Sailors, Platinums, Viscontis, Kawecos, Pelikans, and other high-end pens. I probably have one of the largest collections of Vanishing Points in the country -- well over a 150. I once got on a kick of collecting Esterbrook desk sets. I have them in every color and shape. But I've suddenly lost interest in my pens and pen collecting. I cannot understand why my interests have changed. Maybe I have too many pens. Perhaps I should sell them and focus on one brand. Even though fountain pens have lost their sparkle, I have yet to bring myself to part with any. So, have any other pen collectors had a similar experience?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ghost Plane

• Inka

• Rotomobees

• Sailor Kenshin

I wish I could lose interest it would grealyt improve my bank account. I'm put myself on a buying freeze (just two days ago) whilst I save for my custom Edison Glenmont and I'm still lusting after more pens (Sheaffer OS Balance, Pelikan M215, Bexley Simplicity, Sailor 1911, Sheaffer Flat Top, Visconti Van Gough, Pilot Decimo, Pilot M90, Pilot Custom 74...) :gaah:

ETA: Maybe this is a good thing for you. From what you describe you didn't just have a collection but a major addiction/obsession...

Edited by dizzypen

Equal Opportunity Ink and Fountain Pen User.

My blog: The Dizzy Pen

I once was a rabid collector of fountain pens. And I mean rabid -- I have well over a thousand pens: hundreds of Pilots, Sailors, Platinums, Viscontis, Kawecos, Pelikans, and other high-end pens. I probably have one of the largest collections of Vanishing Points in the country -- well over a 150. I once got on a kick of collecting Esterbrook desk sets. I have them in every color and shape. But I've suddenly lost interest in my pens and pen collecting. I cannot understand why my interests have changed. Maybe I have too many pens. Perhaps I should sell them and focus on one brand. Even though fountain pens have lost their sparkle, I have yet to bring myself to part with any. So, have any other pen collectors had a similar experience?

No, I may lose interest in a type of fountain pen, like I am no longer a lover of limited editions like Lorenzo de Medici or Marcel proust, both by Montlblanc of course. However, I am never without interest in fountain pens, now collect Lamy Limited Editions which are more every day and friendlier to me right now. Don't know what the future holds. Maybe you should write this week with a roller ball or two or regular ball points and perhaps the feeling will return.

Pelikan M800 red/black XF, Lamy Raspberry All-Star XF,Pilot VP red/rhodium,Bexley Americana Strawberry swirl,Lamy Limited Ed. Pink 2009

Lamy L.E. 2008,Pelikan M400 black FP,Lamy Vista demon., Lamy L.E.2005, Charcoal Lamy 1.5 nib, Pelikan M600 green/black med. nib

Ink: Diamine Red, Red, Red....

I wish I could lose interest it would grealyt improve my bank account. I'm put myself on a buying freeze (just two days ago) whilst I save for my custom Edison Glenmont and I'm still lusting after more pens (Sheaffer OS Balance, Pelikan M215, Bexley Simplicity, Sailor 1911, Sheaffer Flat Top, Visconti Van Gough, Pilot Decimo, Pilot M90, Pilot Custom 74...) :gaah:

ETA: Maybe this is a good thing for you. From what you describe you didn't just have a collection but a major addiction/obsession...

I have almost all the pens (excepting the Edson, which I would have had a year ago) you mention in your post.

that's a lot of fountain pens! :)

i'm not sure what to say because i'm a newbie here, but....quick anecdote:

i recently purchased a brand new Mont Blanc 144 for around $170 on impulse because it's such a great deal; however, and as i wait for it to come in the mail this wednesday or thursday, i've already decided i'm going to put it on the Market place here (probably by thursday) for $150 or for a trade for a pel m200 and some merlinas. now, what i want for a trade are nowhere near as nice, but i want a few pens that i can use daily that are practical and make me smile.

maybe try that? slim down your collection A TON and just have like a few you really like and just want to collect, and then some throw around ones for everyday use or one or two really nice ones for everyday use.

for me personally, the less i have of something the more i enjoy it.

hope that helps!

Rotomobees, I'm sorry you're experiencing these feelings. Perhaps you've just become overwhelmed because of the volume and the focus on collecting. I wonder if it would help you enjoy some of your pens again to pick just a few and concentrate on writing with them for awhile.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

Rotomobees, I'm sorry you're experiencing these feelings. Perhaps you've just become overwhelmed because of the volume and the focus on collecting. I wonder if it would help you enjoy some of your pens again to pick just a few and concentrate on writing with them for awhile.

I only use three pens on a daily basis -- Pilot M90, Vanishing Point a custom sleeve, and a Genkai Danitrio; and I really need only the VP. I wish I had realized this 10 years ago.

I only use three pens on a daily basis -- Pilot M90, Vanishing Point a custom sleeve, and a Genkai Danitrio; and I really need only the VP. I wish I had realized this 10 years ago.

Ah. I hear you. Perhaps you will discover, if you choose to sell some of your pens, that they have retained value better than many conventional investments. It may also have been a stage in your life and, if it hadn't been fountain pens, it might have been something else.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

I would have to agree with WendyNC: sell some of your pens, maybe A LOT of them, and get down to a few that you cherish (those that have sentimental value). You can do it.

What was your initial attraction? What was all the accumulation about? Whatever you do though, don't make a move unless you are certain the passion has gone, 'cause I know what regret feels like.

Thanks

I have almost all the pens (excepting the Edson, which I would have had a year ago) you mention in your post.

Maybe the collection motive was more to fill an insecurity than to pursue a love for pens? That would explain why he's lost interest in all the pens he no longer cares for...

I think OP should sell some of his pens and get some custom-made for him, ones that will have more personal meaning.

What was your initial attraction? What was all the accumulation about? Whatever you do though, don't make a move unless you are certain the passion has gone, 'cause I know what regret feels like.

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. The pen that started it all was the Vanishing Point, and it's still the only pen that I will buy when new colors are rolled out. As for selling them, it's just too much trouble -- posting them, accepting offers, shipping them off. I never thought of pens as an investment, and I really don't need the money I would raise by selling them. My financial situation is unlikely to change, so I don't anticipate finding a motivation to sell them either. I do enjoy giving them to friends who express interest in fountain pens, but there aren't too many of those! I've always thought that I would just will them someone who loves fountain pens, but I don't anticipate finding a grave for many decades.

I gave away a 1945 Cedar Blue Parker 51 last Christmas. I've also given away a couple of less expensive pens.

I think my grail pen was my recently acquired 1944 Pelikan M100. I think I'm pretty much done collecting for a bit, and am going to enjoy them for more than just jotting notes at work... so maybe I get a little of what you're saying. I haven't seen an "OMGIHAVETOHAVETHAT" in a while... maybe it's because I have no budget, so it's like the fox and the grapes. ;)

Is there any interest in a Waterman 513J? I was going to get it polished up and such, but I think I bought that one more on a whim than a real desire. If there's interest from anyone (don't know how desirable they are) I'll post a FS in the proper forum. I really do feel like thinning the herd, so to speak. I have my Persian Blue TD and my Evergreen Green Snorkel... my Pelikan Sahara. Not sure what else I'd want. :)

I know exactly what you mean. I collected Bang & Olufsen products for some time and ended up with a collection in the hundreds (rather more space consuming than pens!) I still have my favourite systems (more than anyone sane would have!) but have given away the vast majority of my pieces. I too would not sell them - the hassle is just too great and I enjoy giving bits to friends - but I will probably keep one or two bits just for old times sake!

I would do just as you are and enjoy the pieces you like and donate the rest slowly to deserving characters.

If you have fullfilled your dream collection, is probable your interest is fading. My pens are very humble, and in the some decades to come there is not a chance that will change. Collecting is not an aim, but finding pleasure in the ones I use. If once you had a passion for those you already have, keep them, enjoy them, gift one now and then if you find it appropriate....if in the coming years you find you really have no wish for them, selling them will give others the chance to make a dream come true. They are your pens, do what you consider best.

Many of us can only dream of certain pens, but are life-long users. You seem to have found the few you need. Put them to use, write to your family and friends, and enjoy. The best things in life are simple and free. :) ( or almost).

There are reputable dealers, like Bryant, who will sell pens for you if you don't want to do it yourself.

Congratulations on your collection and the happiness it brought you. Sounds like you're moving to a new stage in your life with new interests.

I think we all seem to go through an accumulation stage until we figure out the pens we like and want to use on a regular basis, and pare our collections down to that number.

As we reach the contentment stage -- enjoying the pens we have instead of chasing after new ones -- we naturally lose interest.

My regular rotation is dominated by the Parker "51" and the Sheaffer Triumph, to me the pinnacle of pen design and technology. Once I came to that conclusion, I started buying fewer pens.

But I've suddenly lost interest in my pens and pen collecting. I cannot understand why my interests have changed.

Go see your doctor and ask for an evaluation for depression. One of the more overlooked symptoms is loss of interest in previously rewarding activities. Depression doesn't necessarily have a major "trigger", it can come on for no obvious reason. It is treatable, and if left untreated can do tremendous damage to your life, causing loss of jobs, divorce, even suicide.

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

It could be depression if it is accompanied by other symptoms. Being a therapist and a Buddhist, however, "Everything moves, everything changes..." and that includes interests.

Your focus is changing. Write with them now.

Paddler

Can a calculator understand a cash register?