• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will share my efforts if you want to see my humble efforts so far my blog is below and here is a link to my thread.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/270392-restoring-and-customising-a-briefcase/

Those are some pretty nice humble efforts.

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

• 2 months later...

Let's not allow to die one of the best threads here!

When I am working, my bag of choice is the Tumi Brooks Slim Briefcase:

post-122075-0-14581000-1448950856_thumb.jpeg

When I am not working, but casually going around town and need to carry an iPad, notebook and pens, my bag of choice is either the Tumi Beale Mini Messenger:

post-122075-0-40222100-1448950999_thumb.jpeg

post-122075-0-07720900-1448951025_thumb.jpeg

or Waterfield Designs Indy Leather Bag:

post-122075-0-23702000-1448951081_thumb.jpg

post-122075-0-85362400-1448951533_thumb.jpeg

I still have many other bags that are not getting any use currently, such as Tom Bihn Synapse 19 backpack, Rickshaw Bags iPad Messenger bag, and Timbuk2 Small Classic Messenger which was customized inside and out.

Cheers

I did promise I would show you the finished product.

But first the starting point was a whole English bridle hide from Sedgewick's which after some work with a very sharp knife led to this.

22768270894_7427b9b7f6_z.jpgDSC_0251 by my0771, on Flickr

The brassware came from the Abbey England foundry and the thread is 0.8 mm Tigre thread from Germany I work slowly so it took me some time to put it all together.

22670922914_674989a73d_z.jpgIMG_1520 by my0771, on Flickr

23003417120_fd249bdb7c_z.jpgIMG_1506 by my0771, on Flickr

There are 3 stitches to be made on each corner to finish the whole case off I am going to leave these as long as possible because knowing me if I finish it I might be tempted to sell it.

The full detail is on my blog or the thread mentioned earlier.

For more details on my current projects please visit my blog.

https://my63leather.wixsite.com/my63

I've found the right bag for the job in my Swiss Gear Vertical Travel Bag, courtesy of Target.

My A5 notebook and Kindle Paperwhite fit beautifully in a pocket inside the main pouch. A fair amount of room in a small little bag.

http://s19.postimg.org/yy8pfeshf/bag.jpg

The interior has lots of organization and a fair storage capacity.

http://s19.postimg.org/opg89l4fn/bag_open.jpg

Includes 3 pen slots and additional spots that can be used to store pens as needed. It even has 3 exterior pockets (1 on front, velcro; 2 on back, open) that work great for easy access storage to items.

I am using a Waterfield Designs Rough Rider Messenger Bag with black accents, the entire bag is leather.
Got it about a week or two ago. It is quite the bag. Made in San Fransisco, CA. (sfbags.com)

rough-rider-lifestyle_grande.jpg?v=14448

rough-rider-color-black-accent_a4fed67e-

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

I did promise I would show you the finished product.

But first the starting point was a whole English bridle hide from Sedgewick's which after some work with a very sharp knife led to this.

The brassware came from the Abbey England foundry and the thread is 0.8 mm Tigre thread from Germany I work slowly so it took me some time to put it all together.

23003417120_fd249bdb7c_z.jpg

There are 3 stitches to be made on each corner to finish the whole case off I am going to leave these as long as possible because knowing me if I finish it I might be tempted to sell it.

The full detail is on my blog or the thread mentioned earlier.

Great work as usual :)

I have 3 bags i like and use depending on occasion, the 3 are on the small and minimalist side (for carrying a laptop) and fit a Macbook Air 13", A6 Organizer a notebook and a pen case. I'm almost always carrying the laptop but if I'm not, I just take the A6 Organizer and a pen case in the jacket, or if it's summer just the A6 Organizer.

14065989911_407df4982a_z.jpg

STM Alley vertical and Montblanc Westside A4 Vertical Bag

http://40.media.tumblr.com/a1e0416078c093191ee34b75182ccdd8/tumblr_mx6kzisJuR1sl9rj8o1_1280.jpg

And Oppermann London Vallance.

Edited by jsolares

I have one of these shovels in my car, and one each in my wife's and daughter's cars. It can be pretty handy with the New England wintry mix. And, this Christmas I'm giving two more of these as gifts.

CFTPM

I have one of these shovels in my car, and one each in my wife's and daughter's cars. It can be pretty handy with the New England wintry mix. And, this Christmas I'm giving two more of these as gifts.

A great idea. I'll be in Boston for Christmas. I spent 4 winters in Williamstown and certainly could have used it there.

This thread is trouble! This bag is calling me.

I am using a Waterfield Designs Rough Rider Messenger Bag with black accents, the entire bag is leather.
Got it about a week or two ago. It is quite the bag. Made in San Fransisco, CA. (sfbags.com)

rough-rider-lifestyle_grande.jpg?v=14448

rough-rider-color-black-accent_a4fed67e-

"Todo reflejo al llegar al punto final recuerda su origen" Jose Manuel Aguilera

Yup, I like this bag as well. But, I do think the Rickshaw Bagworks Commuter is more waterproof, albeit not as good looking. And then, there's Renaissance Art Leather. So many choices.

This thread brings to mind something that may be helpful. A friend of mine buys a bag for each client and keeps all client records in the bags ready go. The bags are alphabetized in a walk-in closet, and there are lots of them of all kinds and materials including vintage. In every bag there are also all of the "needed" accessories in order to support his paper and pen accumulation, etc. I suggested he also start dedicating a specific watch to each client.

CFTPM

This thread is trouble! This bag is calling me.

I called me for more than an entire year. Decided to get it before my Master's Degree graduation. :D

Yup, I like this bag as well. But, I do think the Rickshaw Bagworks Commuter is more waterproof, albeit not as good looking. And then, there's Renaissance Art Leather. So many choices.

Very true. Way too many great companies making great bags. However, you need to start somewhere. Pick one and start building your bag closet from there. :lol: Different occasions and attires will require you to use a different bag. (In case you are looking for an excuse). That is how women do it right? I see no objection why men can't do it as well.

I have dreamt of the day where I am holding a Waterman Carene. Sigh... seems too distant I can only see the fog far away.

All right. I'll pitch in. I've liked shoulder bags for a while and keep looking for the right one. I only have a couple and could never quite justify the luxury leather one. My latest bag need is for something smaller to carry my writing supplies.

Since I've gotten into dip pens, I like to carry the supplies to write letters or just practice my penmanship while I'm sitting in a coffee shop or lobby waiting for my son to finish a lesson or class. I didn't want anything so big I get tempted to carry a bunch of stuff. It needed to carry half-sheet (A5? A6?) writing paper in the box my iPad Air originally came in, a small case for pens and nibs, another small plastic cause usually used to carry sandwiches in a lunch box, for my inks, and my iPad.

For under $30 on ebay, I found this little number shipped directly from China.

fpn_1449521913__satchell.jpg

Not fancy, but it's given me a good idea of what works and what doesn't about the size. It's also convenient to have the half-flap on the front, while the inner compartment is zippered. I can easily get to my iPad which sits in front. There's a zippered pocket in the back which is where I carry the ink box.

This is what I carry in it. When I took the picture, I was carrying my various kinds of paper in separate white envelopes. When I was cleaning out my study and found my iPad box I discovered it worked even better and was more protection for the paper.

fpn_1449520981__travelingworkspace.jpg

As I narrow down the specifications of what I really need, I'm getting closer to knowing the perfect bag, then I can splurge on the several-hundred dollar bag. Of course, then my needs will change... Maybe I'll just stick to the cheap bags until I REALLY know what I want....

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne