What's your favourite Manbag?

tim atherton

Trent: Please say more about the Gfeller folio pad holder. I'm a happy Gfeller customer already and have been thinking about the folio. Thx.

CFTPM

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gfeller diamond creek case is nice. And not overly expensive!

Cheap is something else, but that's not the question.

Cacoethes scribendi

That is always the problem with really nice things. The cost an arm and a leg. Or a kidney :D. And I just bought my last ever bag!!! Lol

Cacoethes scribendi

Trent: Please say more about the Gfeller folio pad holder. I'm a happy Gfeller customer already and have been thinking about the folio. Thx.

Well, the neat and different thing about it is that the front cover has a series of pen/pencil loops attached to it. The loops are tight and secure. I can keep all my writing tools there, handy---pens, pencils, leadholders, and there is even a larger loop that holds a fat Sharpie. This utility area also has a slot for a ruler or engineer's scale. Inside, you have the usual flaps for papers, cards, etc. My Rhodia 18 pad (or any regular pad) slides in snugly from the top. The whole folio is made of soft yet durable English Kip leather, which will darken with age. It is the best pad-folio that I own. As usual with Gfeller, you can ask for custom features. I am thinking of ordering another one, but this time asking for a zippered closure to keep the pad inside protected. What I love above all about this Gfeller folio is that it looks, feels, and functions like a tool, not a luxury item. This is true of every Gfeller item that I have purchased. I cannot recommend Gfeller products highly enough.

Thank you, Trent, points well made, much appreciated. I still haven't got past the price. Being a customer, I know of Gfeller's quality, but I guess don't see how that pad-folio can cost so much more than the alternatives.

CFTPM

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_gfSg2iZFwOI/TNjiMAAfeFI/AAAAAAAAAD4/0f4XbApqU0c/s800/man%20purse.jpg

It's not really pretty but I love it...

Pelikan 140 OB

Pelikan M605 blue F

Pelikan M200 transparent (Demonstrator Japan) M

Pelikan Level 65 yellow M

Pelikan Level 65 red B  

Pelikan Go! black/magenta M

Pelikan Go! black/petrol M

Pelikan M70/Go! (C/C) magenta B

Pelikan Steno red (70s)

Lamy Safari charcoal 1.5 mm italic

Lamy Safari yellow EF

Lamy Vista Eyedropper 1.9 mm italic

Reform P 120

2x Reform 1745

Thank you, Trent, points well made, much appreciated. I still haven't got past the price. Being a customer, I know of Gfeller's quality, but I guess don't see how that pad-folio can cost so much more than the alternatives.

Yes, it is not inexpensive. But then, it is far more affordable than the Graf von Faber-Castell writing case, which while lovely, offers little more than the same pad-folio of other companies. In terms of less expensive pad-folios, I have liked the Levenger Bomber leather version and, cheapest of all, the pad-folio in brown for sale at Barnes and Noble, which has a built-in pencil case and filing folders. By the way, remember that the Gfeller is hand-made to order, and by the looks of it, will give a lifetime of service.

Edited by trent

I carry this bag here:

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/New-Photos14/MEDIC-BAG-B.jpg

I bought it from a army surplus store because I liked the look of it. My bag is actually blue and has a hammer and sickle red star under the red cross, but otherwise it's all the same.

I was told it was a medic bag for naval staff on a submarine. I bought it without really looking at it but when I took it home and opened it up in one of the side pockets it had a small first aid kit all written in Russian with a hamer and sickle seal on it. It was dated 1920 something so I thought it was really cool.

I take it pretty much everywhere with me. In it I carry a book, a moleskinel as well as my lunch for work. During the summer I'll add a bottle of water or a jacket incase of cooler nights.

Its not a pretty as all the other bags on here but I must admit I love it. When it ruins I will definitely replace it with the same one.

Happy writing,

Basilios

Siera seems to be a quite good/big brand in the US but I have never seen it in Europe.

The army surplus bag is serious cool. It's way to informal for me, but serious nice and cool looking. And you can't beat that price!

Cacoethes scribendi

I agree I love the bag. After using it for about 2 years I'm just starting to notice some wear on it.

You're right it's not very formal but I have been getting compliments on it so I keep wearing it anyways!:)

Happy writing,

Basilios

Nice I like the second bad the strap looks more comfy than mine.

I forgot to mention that I also take this bag alots:

http://www.chromebagsstore.com/bags/messenger-bags/metropolis-buckle-bag---large.html

But it's mostly on those days when I'm going to soccer or biking to work.

It holds everything and I mean EVERYTHING! check out the pictures and you'll see how big it is.

They also have smaller ones too.

Happy writing,

Basilios

Out of curiosity does anyone have the SAB Westminster or the Daines And Hathaway Oxford Strap Around? I really like the look of them, but finding them in the States is super difficult.

Out of curiosity does anyone have the SAB Westminster or the Daines And Hathaway Oxford Strap Around? I really like the look of them, but finding them in the States is super difficult.

I believe that to buy Swaine Adeney Brigg products you go to them. You can buy from their website, and they answer any question about personalisation or bespoke pretty promptly.

Pilot Capless Black Carbonesque - Pelikan M800 Demonstrator - Pelikan M625 blue -
Montblanc 146 platinum - Rotring 600 series 1 - Lamy Persona black - Lamy 2000 -
Waterman Edson green - Chatterley Visconti Ripple silver/clear - Visconti Homo Sapiens -
Pilot Custom 823 black - Pilot Art Craft Koushi - Nakaya Piccolo Cigar Akatame
Nakaya Portable Writer matte black urushi - Nakaya Titanium Piccolo -

Namiki Emperor red urushi
Pen photos

It's not that hard, I heard a lot of good things about Classic Luggage overview and this is the classic version: SAB Westminster Wrap in London Tan

I live in Europe, so I ordered directly from SAB. Black Chrome Westminster Wrap SS Mine doesn't have the chrome, I have brass fittings.

What SAB has as an advantage is that they have the best leather I've ever seen. I only have had the bag for three weeks now, but it has been pouring with rain and the bag doesn't show anything. But it is one of the most expensive bags I've ever seen. Well, besides from Chanel, Smythson and hermes bags and that lot, but with those brands you get a fashion item that is fashionably priced as well and hasn't been made by Chanel, Smythson nor Hermes. They just outsource it. And SAB has their own workshop in Cambridge, where they make their products. Hand-stitched leather and I couldn't find any flaw in the stitching. Couldn't find a flaw anywhere.

IMHO with the SAB you don't pay that much for fashion, you pay a little for the brand and a lot for the best of the best quality leather, hand-made workmanship and no frills.

It might be a good example of the law of diminishing returns Wiki, but I really do like this bag a lot.

And this bag has the best handle I ever had in my hand.

I do like bags a lot and I have had quite a few of them. Most of the bags you see after three/four weeks of intensive use the start of the end. leather parts start stretching, scratches getting ugly, the bag starts to loose it's shape. This bag seems like it starts to get into shape instead of loosing it.

I really think this bag will be good for the next 10-15 years of daily wear and tear. If you pamper it, you might be able to give it to your son.

Edited by alecgold

Cacoethes scribendi

It's not that hard, I heard a lot of good things about Classic Luggage overview and this is the classic version: SAB Westminster Wrap in London Tan

I live in Europe, so I ordered directly from SAB. Black Chrome Westminster Wrap SS Mine doesn't have the chrome, I have brass fittings.

What SAB has as an advantage is that they have the best leather I've ever seen. I only have had the bag for three weeks now, but it has been pouring with rain and the bag doesn't show anything. But it is one of the most expensive bags I've ever seen. Well, besides from Chanel, Smythson and hermes bags and that lot, but with those brands you get a fashion item that is fashionably priced as well and hasn't been made by Chanel, Smythson nor Hermes. They just outsource it. And SAB has their own workshop in Cambridge, where they make their products. Hand-stitched leather and I couldn't find any flaw in the stitching. Couldn't find a flaw anywhere.

IMHO with the SAB you don't pay that much for fashion, you pay a little for the brand and a lot for the best of the best quality leather, hand-made workmanship and no frills.

It might be a good example of the law of diminishing returns Wiki, but I really do like this bag a lot.

And this bag has the best handle I ever had in my hand.

I do like bags a lot and I have had quite a few of them. Most of the bags you see after three/four weeks of intensive use the start of the end. leather parts start stretching, scratches getting ugly, the bag starts to loose it's shape. This bag seems like it starts to get into shape instead of loosing it.

I really think this bag will be good for the next 10-15 years of daily wear and tear. If you pamper it, you might be able to give it to your son.

Just backtracked a few pages and saw your post. Its beautiful! I really love the look of them, but right now price is something that is out of my range. I like the D&H because it is very similar is style, a lot less and they will customize the bag. However, after further investigating I've come across a machine stitched version of the Westminster from SAB. I know there are lots of people out there who swear by the hand stitching but it isn't a big deal for me if it means the bag is a thousand dollars less. And they still offer their bespoke services on it, so I could always get dream combo of black, nickel hardware and scarlet lining.

Oh, to dream...