What's your favourite Manbag?

tim atherton

Alecgold, I saw the tan version...It is to die for...But the price, oh my. Fully worth it, I am sure, but beyond most American pockets these days. With the exchange it must be close to $2,000!

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alecgold, I saw the tan version...It is to die for...But the price, oh my. Fully worth it, I am sure, but beyond most American pockets these days. With the exchange it must be close to $2,000!

Tan is nice huh?!! I had some extra work that gave me some extra money in my pocket. I could afford it now. And the pound to euro is now so low I needed to buy it. Pound/euro to US$ isn't that good I guess, and seeing the second quantitive easing from the fed I think the dollar will be low for quite some time.

Cacoethes scribendi

Well, congratulations. That is an heirloom piece.

I hope it will be!

Cacoethes scribendi

Unfortunately for me, the weight of many leather bags is a deal breaker. And the lighter ones have too little space.

Can anyone recommend dressy synthetic bags?

Unfortunately for me, the weight of many leather bags is a deal breaker. And the lighter ones have too little space.

Can anyone recommend dressy synthetic bags?

Take a look at Tumi, Briggs & Riley, and Hartman.

Blade: You may also want to check out Rickshaw, and Tom Binn for synthetic bags. I like the Rickshaw Commuter; you can check it out on You Tube as well.

CFTPM

The threesome I use are..... E. Zo's SF masterpiece /messenger-b, Chrome's/ med. messenger-b, and Tumi's/ leather shoulder bag.....from largest to smallest...depends on weekend...weekday...or with companion computer bag to the office. Check out the new Chrome bags...truly great designs...

Edited by SnowLeopard

Tom Bihn is brilliant. It's not the materials, they are the best quality available, but I prefer leather when possible, but it's the detailing, the attention and the design that went into these bags is superb. I have a little backpack called synapse and it is wonderfull. Looks small holds a lot and in a smart way. I have had dozens of cordura bags but Tom Bihns are something different and a lot better.

Edited by alecgold

Cacoethes scribendi

Thanks for the suggestion. The Bihn bags look very functional, but they don't look dressy enough for formal occasions.

Thanks for the suggestion. The Bihn bags look very functional, but they don't look dressy enough for formal occasions.

Indeed, for formal occasions the Tom Bihn isn't what you want.

When I'm a day at the office, the Tom Bihn is fine, but otherwise it wouldn't do when I need to visit clients.

But I wanted to express the level of care & attention in Tom Bihn.

It is a welcome surprise from the usual nylon bag that just designed for some looks and then thrown together for maximum profit.

Edited by alecgold

Cacoethes scribendi

"It is a welcome surprise from the usual nylon bag that just designed for some looks and then thrown together for maximum profit." Alec, spot on. This is why I like the Rickshaw Commuter.

thumbup.gif

CFTPM

"It is a welcome surprise from the usual nylon bag that just designed for some looks and then thrown together for maximum profit." Alec, spot on. This is why I like the Rickshaw Commuter.

thumbup.gif

I've heard a lot of good things about them as well! Luckily for us there are still (small) companies that want to make a living (and not try to get rich fast) making good quality bags.

Cacoethes scribendi

I am very tempted by those US Army briefcases from Custom Leather. I am worried, though, that they might be as heavy or heavier than the Saddleback.

It's not just the weight of the bag. I had bags that where unbelievable heavy with 5kgs and others that where no problem with 10-11kgs. Comparing briefcases and messengers alike. Saddlebag was one of the heaviest if not the heaviest feeling bag I ever had. And the backpack function wasn't a real treat either.

I'm not a bag designer but I do like my bags and I know the design can make a big difference. My Westminster wrap is just as heavy as the saddlebag I had. Both about the same size but they carry weight in a different way. With the shoulderband as well as the handle. The Westminster handle btw is magnificent it has a plus shape is pretty sitf and hard and I tried it this week, walked 20min with 8,3kg and it wasn't a problem at all.

Cacoethes scribendi

Hmmm, I think ive found that bag at least 7 times...

You have no idea what a bagaholic I am.

It's to compensate the shoes of my significant other.

But i might have found my bag indeed. I hope so. At this price.... It better be good.

What's your holy bag Grail?

Cacoethes scribendi

I don't know quite yet. The US Army satchel in a whisky color is high on the list but I do worry about weight. I like the East German surplus pouches but they are a bit too small for daily needs. The M51 bag looks great, with all its compartments, but the reviews mention many cases of the bag just falling apart after a mere month of use. I once thought that the Saddleback was the grail, and I got it for a decent price on ebay, but after the first use I was overwhelmed by the weight and, as you say, by the way the bag dstributes its weight. I was exhausted just to carry it with a few papers! So, the search continues. The Gfeller is another contender---I love their British Kip cases and covers and their utilitarian aesthetic. I am sure that a bag made by Gfeller will last a lifetime.

Your bags are a bit more tough looking.

Gfeller is really superb. Ive read many reviews and seen one or two little pieces of their work. it very nice. The utility tote bag is so cool.

Cacoethes scribendi

Yes, Gfeller is great. Try their Moleskine cover, or their three-pen case, for starters. I also have their folio pad holder. Superb.

I forgot to mention that the East German pouches look a bit like, well, purses, despite their military design.