What's your favourite Manbag?

tim atherton

I've been using Tom Bihn's "The Buzz" slingbag - it has enough room for the 'basics' plus can be used as a light laptop bag for the times I need to lug a laptop somewhere. On the other days, it fits a few pens with enough space for writing materials and a book or two plus lunch.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dapv

• AlecG

• inkypete

• trent

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My absolute carry-all for work, leisure, everything is my LowePro Compudaypack

I keep my small laptop/couple of books, camera & camera bits, half a dozen pen slots plus spare ink, notebooks, MP3 player and phone

And still with room for sandwiches,

http://products.lowepro.com/product/CompuDaypack,1922,16.htm

Oh, and it looks just like a normal backpack that isn,t holding too much expensive kit!

Edited by steveh6883

Steve</br>

Saint Eve Marketing - Online Marketing for Beginners

<hr/>

Send me a postcard - Send me a letter<hr/>

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

I'm currently lugging around a Bag of Holding from Think Geek. I like it for its sturdy construction, and ability to hold as many chunky textbooks as I throw at it. It also doesn't attract much attention when left in a car.

I've been using this Crumpler Luncheon bag. It's not very big but large enough for a small laptop and some notebooks. Also has a front pocket for pens and whatnot.

post-7175-1250066609_thumb.jpg

post-7175-1250066632_thumb.jpg

Edited by docsamson

I don't have a photo, but here's a link to the website:

http://www.louisvuitton.com/info/products-...-briefcase.html

Aesthetic glory (!) I love it!

Todd

With a fine suit & shirt, and a nice pair of cufflinks...? The glory has to coordinate, old son.

Damon Young

philosopher & author

OUT NOW: The Art of Reading

http://content.damonyoung.com.au/aor.jpg

+1 for a Crumpler. I bought the 'western lawn' several years ago and love it. It can hold everything I want it to: (average day) 2/3 books, magazine, sigg bottle, pens, ipod, rhodia pad, journal, school notebook, a horse, a dog, and a monkey. And it has a sleeve insert for when I need to take my laptop. Also, despite having gone halfway across the world and back several times by now - used many times in lieu of luggage - it still looks more than good and has yet to wear through, tear, or (heaven forbid) have its strap break. (And it'd look even better if I washed it more often. Blarg.)

Since it doesn't look like I'll be getting rid of it anytime soon, I'm considering getting another one for variety's sake. (Totally the official excuse.)

- Sylvia

Check out these great 100% leather satchels... www.cambridgesatchel.co.uk Perfect as Manbag or other. Stylish and functional. Great colors.

So what type of Manbag do you use?

You are heading off out to a cafe to hand write the next chapter of your great American Novel or write notes about the passing tide of humanity? Or off to a park bench or riverbank to make a few notes about the joy of nature. Maybe you are heading to a lecture at the art gallery... Wherever you are going you want something to keep your essential supplies in (I'm not talking an accountant heading off to the office we 20 files for work, or a student heading off to the first of five lectures of the day).

You know what I mean: two or three trusted fountain pens (with perhaps one of them full of some new weirdly named and coloured ink); a pencil; perhaps a highlighter; then maybe some cartridges and a nalgene bottle full of your favourite emergency ink; a Molskine; a larger Clairfontaine notebook; a Rhodia pad; a small novel or book of poetry; your cellphone; perhaps a newspaper and a couple of small snacks.

As you head out of the door, what kind of manpurse is holding all your treasured stuff?

As a longtime photographer, I have what my wife refers to as my camera bag mountain. While some of these bags are very handy and great for cameras they are usually a bit boxy to be repurposed (and now that I tend to use either a 4x5/8x10 or a teeny little Canon digital, they tend not to get out so much). Mind you, I've always been partial to the original khaki Billingham Packington - though it is a bit large and you may be mistaken for Michael Palin (it also looks better with the tail end of pheasant sticking out of it...

And I've used a couple of different messenger type bags - most are rather too floppy, though I quite like some of the Crumpler bags. Though they tend to look a bit better if you are hanging around Campus with your hip young grad students.

So lately I've been looking around for something a little more distinguished, while still being somewhat cool looking. (shiny black or brown saddle leather briefcases with straps and brass buckles or the like are out - far too anal as well as heavy)

I saw a great looking black oiled leather bag in a funky local shop - but it turned out to be an actual "designer" bag from France and cost $540...

Then I saw this bag - somewhat similar but just a tad too Dutch schoolboy on his way to class having to stick his finger in a dike, though a little more affordable.

And then there was the kind of organic looking Swiss army (the actual Swiss army, not the ubiquitous penknife people) canvas and leather bread bag - usually already worn in - but kinda funky.

But still looking for now.

So, what's your favourite Manbag?

tim a

P.S. Ladies are, of course, welcome to contribute - although my take is you have far far more options open to you...

This is what I carry-http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/shoulder_bags/Guide-Pro-40481/

It holds a fair amount of stuff. There are larger ones as well if you want something to carry larger notebooks and books and a bucnh of pens as well as the usual "stuff" you never take out. Checkbooks, PDA, knives, sanitiser, glasses case, glasses repair kit, calender, notebook, flashlight. It does hold a lot!LOL.

I have used Eagle Creek stuff over the last twenty-five years starting with the backpack/suitcase I took to Europe. It is finally starting to wear out. They use good materials and good zippers, and stuff actually fits in a fairly sensible way inside. I find the prices not too high either.

I have a leather bag that is a copy of a mail bag. It actually started out as an old mail bag, but it fell apart. I sent it to a leather worker to repair and she just made another out some black leather she had. An appallingly cheap $75. You might ask around tack shops and shoe repair shops if they would take a custom order. You might get lucky.

Some people say they march to a different drummer. Me? I hear bagpipes.

Okay...this just might be the best of the bunch.

I'm currently lugging around a Bag of Holding from Think Geek. I like it for its sturdy construction, and ability to hold as many chunky textbooks as I throw at it. It also doesn't attract much attention when left in a car.

Think geek is hilarious!

I, myself, am rockin' a Swiss Gear backpack.

Jazz It. Rock It. Paint It Blue. Paint it black. Tell your folks. Tune in. Turn off. Love it. Hate it. Do what you want. Do what you're told. Follow your heart. Follow your gut. Follow your brain. Hello. Goodbye. Try. Fear The Metal.

I don't have a small bag because I carry my laptop with me. I use a Speck Corepack messenger bag, and it carries all of my essentials from fountain pens to paper notebooks to digital notebook to cameras.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41v0MYFkzFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

They do make a smaller version for the same size laptop, though, called the PortPack:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41XqGcQpABL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

post-30572-1250118604_thumb.jpg

72% recycled, lots of pockets, padded laptop area, waterproof. Good bag

Piracy: n. Commerce without its folly-swaddle. Just as God made it. Ambrose Bierce.

I use this from Duluth Trading for traveling, to hold documents, a camera, passport if necessary. My daily briefcase is from the Orvis Bullhide collection but the actual one seems to be discontinued. :glare:

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I use and love my Basic Adventurer bag from Renaissance Art. It will last for years and has plenty of room! Get numerous compliments on its looks and construction. Not cheap, but worth every penny!

Russ Z

I use three:

- this one is my daily user in the office: http://www.tusting.co.uk/Leather_Briefcase..._Floodlight.asp holds plenty of files and papers; two front pockets for PDAs, Moleskeins, leather pouch with fountain pen supplies; newspaper stash in the back and lots of pen loops. Impeccable leather looks good in the office and holds up well (10 years now).

- this one is my casual/weekend bag: http://www.artisangear.com/agmm.html - lighter, smaller at 14", flexible with enough pockets, and rugged.

- this bag is my Friday work bag when I don't have a lot to transport over the weekend: http://www.thebrownbags.com/usaleatherbags.html (the 31549 version) lighter, big enough at 12", great leather, and fun "story".

Vintner

So what type of Manbag do you use?

You are heading off out to a cafe to hand write the next chapter of your great American Novel or write notes about the passing tide of humanity? Or off to a park bench or riverbank to make a few notes about the joy of nature. Maybe you are heading to a lecture at the art gallery... Wherever you are going you want something to keep your essential supplies in (I'm not talking an accountant heading off to the office we 20 files for work, or a student heading off to the first of five lectures of the day).

You know what I mean: two or three trusted fountain pens (with perhaps one of them full of some new weirdly named and coloured ink); a pencil; perhaps a highlighter; then maybe some cartridges and a nalgene bottle full of your favourite emergency ink; a Molskine; a larger Clairfontaine notebook; a Rhodia pad; a small novel or book of poetry; your cellphone; perhaps a newspaper and a couple of small snacks.

As you head out of the door, what kind of manpurse is holding all your treasured stuff?

As a longtime photographer, I have what my wife refers to as my camera bag mountain. While some of these bags are very handy and great for cameras they are usually a bit boxy to be repurposed (and now that I tend to use either a 4x5/8x10 or a teeny little Canon digital, they tend not to get out so much). Mind you, I've always been partial to the original khaki Billingham Packington - though it is a bit large and you may be mistaken for Michael Palin (it also looks better with the tail end of pheasant sticking out of it...

And I've used a couple of different messenger type bags - most are rather too floppy, though I quite like some of the Crumpler bags. Though they tend to look a bit better if you are hanging around Campus with your hip young grad students.

So lately I've been looking around for something a little more distinguished, while still being somewhat cool looking. (shiny black or brown saddle leather briefcases with straps and brass buckles or the like are out - far too anal as well as heavy)

I saw a great looking black oiled leather bag in a funky local shop - but it turned out to be an actual "designer" bag from France and cost $540...

Then I saw this bag - somewhat similar but just a tad too Dutch schoolboy on his way to class having to stick his finger in a dike, though a little more affordable.

And then there was the kind of organic looking Swiss army (the actual Swiss army, not the ubiquitous penknife people) canvas and leather bread bag - usually already worn in - but kinda funky.

But still looking for now.

So, what's your favourite Manbag?

tim a

P.S. Ladies are, of course, welcome to contribute - although my take is you have far far more options open to you...

Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack. http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPr...mp;idproduct=31

Minus the gun! Very handy, though it doesn't carry very large items....I wish it was big enough to cram a netbook into it.

+1 On the Versipack. Rugged, well-made, enough pockets for various gear. Mine is the Jumbo model; the Acer netbook fits perfectly in the large main pocket. I am not squeamish about putting a pistol in the concealed-carry pocket. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. I use the water bottle pouch for carrying a couple of extra fountain pens in a leather pen case. Very handy to get at.