Namiki VP <F> vs. <M> nibs w/pix

PinarelloOnly

Well, I was surprised to see how wet and thick the Med. nib on my Namiki

Vanishing Point was. I haven't used the med nib in awhile and it turned out

wetter than my Van Gogh Maxi and My Conklin Nozac. It also could be that

this med. nib has seen daily use for almost 5 years previous to me retiring it a

few months ago and could be considered well broken in!! My Visconti is still by

far a smoother writer and lays down the perfect amount of ink. The Conklin

and VP equaled each other in smoothness, second to my Van Gogh.

My VP Fine Nib is still to me an extra fine which is a little toothy for cursive

writing. However, I use the fine nib in my Vanishing Point now to successfully

prevent leak-through while writing in my Molskine Journal.

Pix were taken with 2 different camera settings. When trying to show the

whiteness of the paper you end up drowning out the ink, the camera almost

sees through it too. So, I took another batch showing the blackness of the ink,

which came out almost closer to what it really is. I have come to find out

writing samples are not that easy to get accurately and takes a great deal of

time to do correctly.

Here’s to the future and new VP owners out there. I remember what it was like

making your first fountain pen purchase and for most of us newer and younger

generation it was the Namiki Vanishing Point. I also remember what it was like

to bang your head deciding which nib to get with it!!!! :bonk:

Scott.

http://fototime.com/%7B493ED3A6-1514-41BF-B30A-E7FD21D8748F%7D/picture.JPG

http://fototime.com/%7B9FA97FF4-9445-4118-A5B6-400DCF4A4BB3%7D/picture.JPG

http://fototime.com/%7B85D3C0F1-8C9A-4D7F-BFD9-321A66FFD02E%7D/picture.JPG

http://fototime.com/%7B24AECF66-49B5-4968-80ED-F21A01CDD295%7D/picture.JPG

http://fototime.com/%7BA0C859B3-E2D7-4FB0-B5F8-57A98E3E397D%7D/picture.JPG

http://fototime.com/%7B16164BA1-A36B-44C1-8B4C-0E42D3592AD1%7D/picture.JPG

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PinarelloOnly

• French

• calvin

• kaisede

Hi Scott,

Very nice demonstration that all nibs are not created equal. I enjoy the comparisons of writing samples between different nib widths, especially when I don't own any of the pens being compared.

thanks,

French

What ink(s) and paper were used?

Really nice photos.

Calvin

I used Omas Black except for the Fine Nib Namiki which was Visconti Black.

Both inks flow very well in all my pens.

Paper was Boise 20lb bright white multipurpose and a fast ink absorbing paper

at that.

Scott.

I am suprise too about how thick the medium nib of Namiki is. For my personal experiance ink has a lot to do with it. When I switch PR ink to Aurora (black) my sailor medium nib became much wetter and a little bit thicker than before.

People often make the generalization that the Japanese M is more the the American / European F. This does not seem to be the case with your demonstration. The VP medium looks like, or very similar to, all the other mediums as far as line width. Thanks for a great post.

Very nice demonstrations! Thanks

Out of thin air, quote of the moment (6/1/06): "boredom leads to creativity, as compulsion leads to innovation"

-Name your kids dudley, cause the name is feeling a little deprived =P

The good news is that you can replace the nib section in the VP for about $20. Why not buy a couple and see which one you like!!

Excellent comparison, thank you.

I have a broad nib on my VP and the line is thick and wet.

I was thinking of getting a medium nib too, but looking at your examples the line that my broad nib producesd doesnt look much different from the medium.

I think I will hold off now and if I decide to get another nib go for the fine.

Dawn

People often make the generalization that the Japanese M is more the the American / European F. This does not seem to be the case with your demonstration. The VP medium looks like, or very similar to, all the other mediums as far as line width. Thanks for a great post.

I found this to be very true, as I had read in numerous places how much smaller Japanese nibs were, so when I ordered my VP last year I asked for the broad nib. I was suprised to find that it truly was a broad nib. It's nice, but sometimes a bit too thick of a line for writing down creative thoughts at a rapid pace. I recently baought a medium nib for it, which I am currently breaking in.

J. Haney

• 5 years later...

I ordered the vp online with a broad nib. When I called the company and asked why the pen was taking so long to get here she responded that not many people order the vp with a broad nib and that they had to order one.

I was just wondering why no one orders the broad nib and if you have any pics showing how thickly it writes.

Thanks

I ordered the vp online with a broad nib. When I called the company and asked why the pen was taking so long to get here she responded that not many people order the vp with a broad nib and that they had to order one.

I was just wondering why no one orders the broad nib and if you have any pics showing how thickly it writes.

Thanks

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php?/topic/210802-returning-to-fps-anything-i-need-to-know-about-a-vanishing-point/

See with what large letters I have written you with my own hand. GaVIxi

The pen is the interpreter of the soul: what one thinks, the other expresses. (MdC)