Pen Cartoons From the 40's & 50's Parkergrams

parkercrazy

Okay okay, I'm probably being thick, but why do they keep talking about fountain pens writing underwater? They can't....right? Ugh confusing jokes, they drive me to distraction.

Do you mean to tell me your FP's DON'T write underwater?

Christian, American, Conservative, son, brother, husband, father, devistatingly handsome pick up man blessed by God (I don't know why)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shamwari

• skybird

• parkercrazy

• inkstainedruth

Fabulous cartoons! Thanks so much for sharing these!

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard.

A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have

nothing to do but smell."

Laura Ingalls Wilder

• 1 month later...

thank you .. made my day :notworthy1:

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 3 months later...

I love old cartoons like that. Thank you so much for sharing! I hope no one minds me adding this one. I once was afraid to try a fountain pen because I heard they were so hard to write with without leaking. I pictured myself in Charlie Brown's place.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a287/Rendragyn/peanuts19670425.jpg

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.pnghttp://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 3 weeks later...

Very nice! The cartoons made me laugh!

"One's greatness is defined not only by their deeds, but also by the pen they carry."

My YouTube Channel: InkyJoys

Inky Meanderings: my pen, paper and ink blog

Best Non-FP user line ever: "Is that a calligraphy pen?"

• 4 months later...

wonderful, I can't believe you found this cartoons passed 70 years.

thanks, i love cartoons and especially about parker.

Edited by charcoal

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone,

Parker produced a paper called the Parkergram and Shoptalker from the 30's to the 80's for employees and Dealers. The cartoons below are just a few in these papers showing Parker did have a sense of Humor.

Enjoy, Francis

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/fjm111/scan0007-3.jpg

Little intra Story.

Don José María Sorando, 81, the letter´s sender, lives today in his hometown.

Mr. Sorando had good hand painting. In response to this letter Parker´s send him a gift containing a set with a fountain pen and mechanical pencil and differents Shoptalker.

This letter was the beginning of an epistolary friendship between Mr. Sorando and Mr. David H. Salas ( + 1961, at 42) Foreing Parker's Industrial Sales Manager.

In subsequent letters Mr. Sorando sent him colors drawings, one with the coat of arms of "The Salas", and various drawings more about bullfighting, art that Mr. Salas admired. In consideration, Mr. Salas sent to Spain aviation magazines a subject to which Mr. Sorando was very fond.

Edited by Lazard 20

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Do I long for the days when fountain pens were sold like fine jewellery? You betcha! But then, there were a lot of things back then that weren't as wonderful, so, maybe not.........

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Hi Everyone,

Parker produced a paper called the Parkergram and Shoptalker from the 30's to the 80's for employees aand Dealers. The cartoons below are just a few in these papers showing Parker did have a sense of Humor. /default/roflmho.gif /default/roflmho.gif

Enjoy, Francis

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b11/fjm111/scan0005-2.jpg

This one is all too real. I blootched a nice shirt by carrying a 1945 Vacumatic, fully loaded, in my shirt pocket on a recent flight. I also have another shirt with a Jotter bp blooch in it. My wife's response? "Wear it with pride."

This one is all too real. I blootched a nice shirt by carrying a 1945 Vacumatic, fully loaded, in my shirt pocket on a recent flight. I also have another shirt with a Jotter bp blooch in it. My wife's response? "Wear it with pride."

And that is why I wear vests.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This must have to do with Photobucket, but the cartoons and their captions are now blurry and unreadable. Can anything be done?

Hey, they're lucky to be there at all, blurry or otherwise. I remember a couple of years ago when the whole "Photobucket won't let me repost my pix unless I pay them" debacle hit, and a lot of peoples' pen and ink review photos got replaced by JUST the Photobucket icon.... :(

I remember reading this thread before that happened, and absolutely loved the airplane one so much I stole the quote from it for my sig. file....

Wondering if someone could track down the cartoons from another source and repost them without going the Photobucket route. I'm sure that there are a number of people out there who collect ephemera and might have the specific issues. Maybe we can impress upon someone like jotteraddict62, who hits a lot of estate auctions in the Janesville, WI area, to keep an eye out (he has a nose for the estate sales and auctions of former Parker employees). Because I'll bet that there were also other issues with cartoons in them that weren't posted to this thread initially.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hey, they're lucky to be there at all, blurry or otherwise. I remember a couple of years ago when the whole "Photobucket won't let me repost my pix unless I pay them" debacle hit, and a lot of peoples' pen and ink review photos got replaced by JUST the Photobucket icon.... :(

I remember reading this thread before that happened, and absolutely loved the airplane one so much I stole the quote from it for my sig. file....

Wondering if someone could track down the cartoons from another source and repost them without going the Photobucket route. I'm sure that there are a number of people out there who collect ephemera and might have the specific issues. Maybe we can impress upon someone like jotteraddict62, who hits a lot of estate auctions in the Janesville, WI area, to keep an eye out (he has a nose for the estate sales and auctions of former Parker employees). Because I'll bet that there were also other issues with cartoons in them that weren't posted to this thread initially.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

OK Ruth I'll keep an eye out for that kind of item for you. The 2020 auction is just around the corner. I just looked today and there is one next month in the area. Just waiting for photos to be posted to see if the drive is worth the trip.

Here is one from the fall of 1993 from News Notes [ Parker Pen Employee ] news.

nA0LfMd.jpg

• 2 years later...
On 1/21/2020 at 3:04 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Wondering if someone could track down the cartoons from another source and repost them without going the Photobucket route. I'm sure that there are a number of people out there who collect ephemera and might have the specific issues.

The 20 cartoons that Francis (parkercrazy) had originally posted and which were lost thanks to Photobucket have fortunately been saved by the Wayback Machine so here they are again. The first 5…

Cartoon01.JPG.49ab622485c945926fb93c138771965a.JPG

Cartoon02.JPG.99fe530a9d1b352b838b8f58ee4fd2c7.JPG

Cartoon03.JPG.8adfaf61d1fdaf60bebed10ce1dd5a2d.JPG

Cartoon04.JPG.b356f2e2e1562ce940e130fe31037306.JPG

Cartoon05.JPG.3381d4cfe06916a853460e7feb1ade9e.JPG

"If you want to succeed in the world, you don't have to be much cleverer than other people. You just have to be one day earlier." -- Leo Szilard