Meisterstück Hommage à W.A. Mozart

hari317

This is my first review of any Montblanc. My deep appreciation for the Meisterstuck line started this February when I bought a mid 80's 149. The performance and quality of the flagship model got me hooked and I bought a vintage celluloid flexy 144, a brand new 146, and this Mozart in relatively quick succession. This Mozart arrived last week on the 27th from Paris from a dealer called Monica Borgna(Erfobay on ebay). I was on the look out for a C/C MB and had various candidates in front of me like the Chopin, the big size Boheme which was in stock with a local pen seller, and the Mozart. In fact the Mozart was the last choice because of its perceived small size and Cart only limitation. In that week, Erfobay had a mint PT Chopin and a PT Mozart listed. I was interested more in the Chopin but its price went up beyond what I could buy it for new here(in Mumbai), so I placed a reasonable proxy bid on the Mozart and went to sleep, when I logged in the next morning, to my great surprise I had won the auction at a very good price. The pen arrived with its box and papers within 6 working days.

First impressions:

The parcel was waiting for me when I came home back from work. The gift box was simply placed inside a plain white bubble envelope, however I feel lucky that it reached here without damage. The box itself is fairly nice for a regular production pen. Made of cardboard, it has a sketch of Mozart on the cover, a special edition soundtrack music CD from the motion picture Amadeus and the regular MB service guide accompany the pen inside.

I was very anxious and inspected the pen breathlessly for any damage. It had arrived in pristine condition, I had somehow got the impression from online photos that the pen had a slip cap, but it has a nice screw cap with classy threads, the pen is designed to be posted and the cap threads onto the rear. The pen is very small unposted but is a perfect fit when posted and yields a perfect forefinger and thumb grip.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3136.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3137.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3138.jpg

Writing Performance:

I did not have MB cartridges and I bought them the next day from the nearest MB boutique and inked it up. I inserted the cart and held the section with the nib pointing down. I did not have to do any squeezing, the ink raced down the slit and the pen started writing the moment the tip touched the paper. No flushing or flossing was required. The nib is smooth with good feedback and the line width is narrower, more like a western fine, perfect for close writing.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3141.jpg

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3142.jpg

The Rhodium plated 14K nib is comparitively longer as compared to the size of the pen and contributes a lot to a good finger position. The nib-feed unit has the same sleeve with section lip arrangement as in the bigger Meisterstucks, but does not have the corresponding removal slots. The feeder is a heavily finned plastic unit.

The barrel end has the same platinum plated threads as on the section for securely posting the cap.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3144.jpg

A shot of the section unscrewed, I think a regular international cart will easily fit, I will check in the next fill.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3150.jpg

A closeup of the Pix mark under the clip.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3149.jpg

i was surprised to discover that the barrel is made of painted Brass rather than the usual MB resin. The cap however looks like resin.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3151.jpg

A group shot of my Meisterstucks: Frm L-R: 149, 146, Celluloid 144 and the Mozart.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii197/hari317/MB%20Mozart/IMG_3153.jpg

Cost: I paid approximately 150USD for this mint example plus a hefty amount for shipping. Not a bad price for this pen.

Conclusion:

A nice handy pen, sits nicely in my pocket, posts well and writes extremely well. Don't be put off by its size as I initially was, it is deceptive.

Cheers,

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• asimplemaestro

• Peter Pommes

• meiers

Dear Hari, this is a wonderful review.Good addition to Miesterstuck line! Nice photos. Hope other models also you will try to review.

Enjoy your pens!

Abhik

Thank you for the comments goodguy and Abhik.

I checked the Montblanc website where they describe the Mozart's barrel and cap as made of precious resin, However mine is brass, can anyone with a mozart check what their barrel is made of?

Thanks!

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Nice review and excellent photos. It's an adorable pen, and will make an excellent travel pen.

Cheers :happyberet:

Thank you Jeen and Matt, I guess most of the folks ignore this pen due to its size.

Best,

Hari

Thank you Jeen and Matt, I guess most of the folks ignore this pen due to its size.

Best,

Hari

Dear Hari,

I think you are absolutely right.

Thanks again for your thoughtful review. The Mozart is a little treasure... I am going to look for one.

Matt

Thanks for the review! I just spent almost two months looking for this pen and finally found one (though not at the price you did...wow!). It's a killer pen for the size and definitely the easiest Montblanc to hide. Enjoy! :thumbup:

-Marcos

• 1 year later...

Great review! And beautiful pictures. How did you manage to shoot 'under the clip'? :thumbup:

I imagine the Mozart is 'painted brass' as a pen that small made out of resin would be quite 'thin and brittle' and durability may be an issue.

In Rotation: MB 146 (EF), Noodler's Ahab bumblebee, Edison Pearl (F), Sailor ProGear (N-MF)

In storage: MB 149 (18k EF), TWSBI 540 (B), ST Dupont Olympio XL (EF), MB Dumas (B stub), Waterman Preface (ST), Edison Pearl (0.5mm CI), Noodler's Ahab clear, Pilot VP (M), Danitrio Densho (F), Aurora Optima (F), Lamy 2000 (F), Visconti Homo Sapiens (stub)

It was this pen that made me think about MB for the first time. The one I tested had a nib that was sublime. Small pen for small hands. :) Nice. Thanks for the review.

...writing only requires focus, and something to write on. —John August

...and a pen that's comfortable in the hand.—moi

Hey Hari,

Just now noticed that you asked a question. I've been off FPN for quite a few months now and am just now getting back into the swing of things. My barrel is indeed brass same as yours. Still have and love my tiny Montblanc.

Regards,

Marcos

Hello Hari

I found Your review finally.

Can You tell me something about the weight of the 114 compared to the 146?

I' d really like if this small pen has some weight.

best regards

Peter

l'audace, toujours l'audace

H

Can You tell me something about the weight of the 114 compared to the 146?

I' d really like if this small pen has some weight.

Peter, I do not have a scale to measure the weights, however the 114 feels significantly lighter than my all resin 146. Do you have a MB outlet nearby? I think you should try the pen out before buying it.

Best,

Hari

Edited by hari317