Diamine Sapphire Blue

HenryLouis

Received a bottle of this today. A lovely, vibrant blue, but still robust. My new favourite.

Graf von Faber-Castell | Conway Stewart | Pelikan | Romain Jerome | ST Dupont | Parker | De La Rue | Wahl-Eversharp | Mabie Todd | Sheaffer | Cross | Montegrappa | Summit | Pilot | Lamy

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HenryLouis

• dannyboy

• Mrsal

• rickyriz

I had only a 30mL bottle of it, but I'm going to go get the 80mL bottle on Saturday if I have time...

And some Omas blue of course.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u18/Henrylouis16/Aurora%20Talentum/IMG_3779.jpg

I really like this ink though I have not had it in my rotation for a while. Maybe it is time to bring it back out again.

Lots of wants, limited funds!

Good review! I like the ink!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Henry,

Thanks for the review. I dropped by Yorkville recently to pick up a bottle of this ink.

Edited by Signum1

• 6 years later...

QUOTE (Mrsal @ Aug 5 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (HenryLouis @ Aug 3 2009, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Mrsal @ Aug 3 2009, 05:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
nice review, love the color! 3 reviews in one day!

Yeah I know. I actually did them during the past few days but today I found my cameras USB cable. I always upload in bunches. I would like to add that the pen needs a finer nib so you can see the blue more.

oh, guess it wouldnt look too good in my 2000 b nib...

Well I guess it would look similar to my medium...

It's actually eclat de saphir that looks bad in a thick nib... looks wishy-washy compared to DSB

Hello,

I know these posts are about 7 years old, but I'm torn between Diamine Sapphire Blue and the Eclat de Saphir! From looking at them side by side on the computer screen they seem very very similar! I was wondering if you have experience with both, which is more sort of water resistant. I'm not necessary looking for a bulletproof or waterproof ink, but rather on the water resistant side.

Any suggestion/comments is appreciated!

Warm regards,

Ardy

Hello,

I know these posts are about 7 years old, but I'm torn between Diamine Sapphire Blue and the Eclat de Saphir! From looking at them side by side on the computer screen they seem very very similar! I was wondering if you have experience with both, which is more sort of water resistant. I'm not necessary looking for a bulletproof or waterproof ink, but rather on the water resistant side.

Any suggestion/comments is appreciated!

Warm regards,

Ardy

No need to be torn! Diamine Sapphire is quite water resistant although not fully waterproof. Please check these comparisons by the Good Captain:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/232722-washday-blues/

No need to be torn! Diamine Sapphire is quite water resistant although not fully waterproof. Please check these comparisons by the Good Captain:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/232722-washday-blues/

You can see a water test on Herbin's Eclat de Saphir here https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/166736-herbin-eclat-de-saphir/

I have both and the biggest difference between the two is the colour and smell. Diamine's is a tad darker, however only noticeable when you look closely; and Diamine's smells, whereas Herbin's doesn't have any noticeable smell. If you have Di's Mediterranean Blue in a bottle, or Imperial Blue, that's what Sapphire Blue smells like, only slightly stronger.

The smell is the reason why I prefer Herbin's (ie lack of smell with this one) and the pretty drawing of a sapphire on the bottle. But both are great inks, Diamine is a bit cheaper, so maybe in the end that's what sways you.

• 4 years later...

For the #50shadesofbluechallenge (link to the hashtag on Instagram), a challenge over at the German PenExchange forum for July & August 2020, I inked up all my pens with all the 50+ blue inks I have. The snapshots might also be of interest to some here.

fpn_1598777200__2020_07_27_50sob_diamine

I found Diamine Sapphire to be pretty much in line with other blues of the "Sapphire" kind, such as Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire, meaning it is a bright-ish, clear, not too flashy blue. A royal blue with some more blurple and a tiny bit more Ooomph.

fpn_1598777228__2020_07_27_50sob_diamine

I had Diamine Sapphire in a vintage Kaweco Dia 785 with an italic broad nib and have nothing bad to say about it.

fpn_1598777255__2020_07_27_50sob_diamine

fpn_1598777285__2020_07_27_50sob_diamine