Sailor Profit Realo

rokurinpapa

The Profit Realo has such ink window as Aurora. According to the blog, the capacity of ink is about 1 cc because

the parts of the cylinder is made independently in the barrel.

rokurinpapa

Ouch. This sounds more like a captive converter than a true piston. Pity.

But this is not a captive converter:

http://visconti.air-nifty.com/photos/uncategorized/2009/07/31/965_2.jpg

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tsujigiri

• rokurinpapa

• Dr.Grace

• TechWriter

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Art Brown will be shipping the Realo starting Aug 18, 2009 in conjuction with the Sailor Nagahara Jr. event. It's availabe for order now. See link.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I'm not sure I'll be able to tell it from my MB 146. :hmm1:

I'll probably get one anyway, though, maybe in November after I get my work bonus.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

Art Brown will be shipping the Realo starting Aug 18, 2009 in conjuction with the Sailor Nagahara Jr. event. It's availabe for order now. See link.

Good god it costs over $400?! I had figured that, since the Japanese MSRP is ¥31,500, the price would be somewhere around the high 200's to low 300's. What does it have over the 1911/Pro Gear series? Just an ink window and 2x capacity, right?

Good god it costs over $400?! I had figured that, since the Japanese MSRP is ¥31,500, the price would be somewhere around the high 200's to low 300's. What does it have over the 1911/Pro Gear series? Just an ink window and 2x capacity, right?

The US MSRP of a 1911/Pro Gear is $310 but the Japanese MSRP is ¥21,525. The new piston filler has a US MSRP of $410 and a Japanese MSRP of ¥31,500. So the pricing seems consistent with the existing mark-up. The mark-up for Sailor Pens in the US seems a bit high.

Just for comparison, A C/C Stipula Etruria lists for $725 and the piston filled version costs $870. (This is after the recent price increase). A difference on order of $100 between C/C and piston filler seems the to be the going rate.

As for the difference in costs, the piston filler has a larger number of parts and more manufacturing steps than a C/C pen. The piston filler has a separate ink window, inner sleeve, piston rod, piston seal, and probably a number of other parts. This probably adds up and then add a 'piston filler' surcharge and $100 doesn't seem unrealistic. Is it worth the extra cost? That's really up to the individual. For me, probably not. I'm perfectly happy with C/C pens and I already have a large number of piston fillers.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

The US MSRP of a 1911/Pro Gear is $310 but the Japanese MSRP is ¥21,525. The new piston filler has a US MSRP of $410 and a Japanese MSRP of ¥31,500. So the pricing seems consistent with the existing mark-up. The mark-up for Sailor Pens in the US seems a bit high.

Just for comparison, A C/C Stipula Etruria lists for $725 and the piston filled version costs $870. (This is after the recent price increase). A difference on order of $100 between C/C and piston filler seems the to be the going rate.

As for the difference in costs, the piston filler has a larger number of parts and more manufacturing steps than a C/C pen. The piston filler has a separate ink window, inner sleeve, piston rod, piston seal, and probably a number of other parts. This probably adds up and then add a 'piston filler' surcharge and $100 doesn't seem unrealistic. Is it worth the extra cost? That's really up to the individual. For me, probably not. I'm perfectly happy with C/C pens and I already have a large number of piston fillers.

Thanks for the informative post. I'm still a bit perturbed though-- The MSRP of the 1911/PG is $310, yet they can be had for <$200. Meanwhile the MSRP for the profit realo is $410, and, surprisingly, the retailer selling the pen is charging exactly that. Judging by what you said though, once the new product phase wears out, we can probably expect the going rate for the profit realo to be around $100 more than the 1911/PG, meaning ~$300-350.

In any case I've gone ahead and purchased a Pilot Custom 823. I think it will fill my need well, and it was only $160 (the stars aligned on ebay).

Thanks for the informative post. I'm still a bit perturbed though-- The MSRP of the 1911/PG is $310, yet they can be had for <$200. Meanwhile the MSRP for the profit realo is $410, and, surprisingly, the retailer selling the pen is charging exactly that. Judging by what you said though, once the new product phase wears out, we can probably expect the going rate for the profit realo to be around $100 more than the 1911/PG, meaning ~$300-350.

In any case I've gone ahead and purchased a Pilot Custom 823. I think it will fill my need well, and it was only $160 (the stars aligned on ebay).

I wouldn't let Art Brown's pricing bother you. Looks like they will be the first retailer in the US to have the pen. They are unveiling the pen during Nagahara's pen clinic so people will probably line up to buy the pen at MSRP. Once the other retailers get stock, I'm sure the street price will be lower.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

These are to be launched in the UK toward the end of September. I am still waiting for pricing details, but if anyone wants one of there I will be accepting pre-orders just as soon as I know how much they are going to cost. Please e-mail me for details.

post-4137-1249914923_thumb.jpg

Andy's Pens

Restorer and Vendor of Vintage Fountain pens and Pencils.

Authorised Stockist of Modern Writing Instruments.

All Vintage items fully and personally guaranteed.

E-mail: andys-pens@ukhome.net Mobile: 07889 821057

I think the two-tone nibs only come on the Professional Gear pens. All the more reason in my mind to wait until Sailor comes out with a piston-filled version of that pen.

I thought I saw a mighty two-tone nib on a mighty KING OF PEN at a Japanese stationary store a few weeks ago. It was beautiful, but the KING OF PEN is a little too mighty for me.

I thought I saw a mighty two-tone nib on a mighty KING OF PEN at a Japanese stationary store a few weeks ago. It was beautiful, but the KING OF PEN is a little too mighty for me.

True, it's on their largest pen. I was thinking in terms of more the comparison between their standard lines, the 1911 and Pro Gear.

True, it's on their largest pen. I was thinking in terms of more the comparison between their standard lines, the 1911 and Pro Gear.

Do Realo and mighty KING OF PEN have the same nib size? I like the Pro Gear shape much better, but the KING OF PEN is bigger, and thus the feeling caused by KING OF PEN is envy.

How do you like that sterling silver naginata? kill any werewolves with it?

Do Realo and mighty KING OF PEN have the same nib size? I like the Pro Gear shape much better, but the KING OF PEN is bigger, and thus the feeling caused by KING OF PEN is envy.

How do you like that sterling silver naginata? kill any werewolves with it?

I think they're the same size, but I'm not entirely sure about that. I know the Realo has the nib that has a few pieces stacked onto each other, though, so it's not the standard KOP nib. There's also the Pro Gear KOP, which has the same nib as the KOP, but has a Pro Gear style body in plastic instead of ebonite. I'm hoping that Sailor will come out with a piston-filled version of this pen, because I'd rather have a Pro Gear style pen, too (especially since I already have a couple 1911's).

Mine's a regular sterling silver, not the naginata nib one, but I really like it. The nib is perfect, the build quality is good, and I like the fact that it's unplated sterling so I can see the real color (and kill werewolves, since rhodium plating does them no harm). I did a review on it a ways back here if you're interested: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=57583 I think I've grown to like it a little more since then.

I think the two-tone nibs only come on the Professional Gear pens. All the more reason in my mind to wait until Sailor comes out with a piston-filled version of that pen.

Sailor will be releasing the Professional Gear model of the REALO early next year. I wait to see if they will eventually offer the Nagahara special nibs on the REALO pens.

Sailor will be releasing the Professional Gear model of the REALO early next year. I wait to see if they will eventually offer the Nagahara special nibs on the REALO pens.

Wait, srsly? Do you know exactly when? This is great news!

Yes I have it on good authority that Sailor will introduce the new filling system on the PG in early 2010 which is great news as I also prefer the two tone nib on that particular model :)

Don't mind me - I'll just be over here turning green with envy.

http://twitter.com/pawcelot

Vancouver Pen Club

Currently inked:

Montegrappa NeroUno Linea - J. Herbin Poussière de Lune //. Aurora Optima Demonstrator - Aurora Black // Varuna Rajan - Kaweco Green // TWSBI Vac 700R - Visconti Purple

I don't like that Sailor is using the name Profit Realo for this new pen. It is causing confusion with the Realo from 2006. The 2006 Realo is based on the KoP and has the bigger KoP Naginata Togi nib. The new Profit Realo is smaller, because is based on the Profit pen line, and has a smaller nib.