Glow?

Doc H

Any glow-in-the-dark inks (not UV)? Seemed to have developed every other type and color, although not sure what that might do to a nib....

"And gentlemen in England, now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day."

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• jbb

• Mrsal

• Doc H

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done reviews on glow-in-the-dark products, includhing water-based paints but never have used GITD fountain pen inks.

It may be possible to mix your own, using some of the smaller micron-sized specialty powders that are @ .5-15 microns in size.

Htere are glow-in-the-dark inks and if you do a Websearch for them using those keywords you may find something suitable.

I'd look for you but a full plate at the moment prevents me from having the time to do so.

I did find one Site that sells GITD inks, Link found below, but haven't taken the time to see if they're varnish based or if they can be used in a fountain pen [dip pens would be an option if they don't work in FPs].

Also, from what I saw on this one Site they're not cheap inks, very expensive to say the least!:

http://www.darkniteglow.com/paint/inks.html

When I have more time I'd be happy to help you look further, or if you find any I too would be interested in what you find.

I'll mark my Profile to subscribe to this topic so I can keep track on your progress.

Sounds cool, an idea I've been kicking around for some time now, as I even have some 5 micron powders I could try using to make an ink from.

The thing I've found in researching/reviewing these products is the smaller in size you go with the particles/powders, the less light they give off and the less time they remain actively glowing once charged.

Until I get back to this topic, I hope some of this is at least somewhat helpful to you.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

i cant imagine paying that much for ink! :yikes:

I agree.

I'll see what else I can find sometime tomorrow, when I have more free time, would appreciate it if you take a look around too or if someone else here chimes in with more possibilities.

I still have some small GITD powders left over from researching them, so I may try making a glow-in-the-dark ink myself.

I know I still have some 5-15 micron glow powders, which equate to @ 5 µm = 0.000196" & 15 µm = 0.000590" respectively.

1 micron = 1,000,000th of a metre, @ 0.00003937 inches, very small to say the least.

Since feed channels are @ .002" - .003" [thousandths of an inch] my smallest powders may very well be small enough to flow through a feed channel, using ink as a binder.

If nothing else this sounds like a very interesting project for me to at least try, on my cheap fountain pens of course.

The old glow-in-the-dark paints [Photo Luminous] would only glow for @ 20 mintues [zinc sulphide], but today there are products that can glow for upwards of 12+ hours [strontium aluminate].

I've found that the yellow/green powders and substances are the brightes and glow the longest, while the blues, reds and oranges the least.

My biggest concern would be that strontium aluminate is an extremley hard mineral, that it could act as an abrasive when used in a fountain pen and wear out plungers as well as nibs!

I'll definitely need to research this further and you've given me the incentive to pick up where I've left off doing so many months ago when I'd first thought to try this.

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

Slightly off topic, but from the link: glow in the dark tattoo inks? The mind, it boggles.

I came here for the pictures and stayed for the conversation.

After reading this post last night I went and nabbed a bit of phosphorescent powder from the workshop (okay, I actually made my husband go up the ladder and get it for me. :headsmack:) Before I waste it (it's not cheap) should I mix any ink colorant into it, like a light green, before I mix it up with water and gum arabic? This test will be for dip pens only. I definitely think it would clog a fountain pen.

... I went and nabbed a bit of phosphorescent powder from the workshop ... should I mix any ink colorant into it, like a light green, before I mix it up with water and gum arabic?

It sounds to me like you have a better handle on this idea than I do.

I was wondering what to use as a binder and gum arabic never occured to me, makes perfect sense though.

If you give this a shot, please do update us on how it goes and I'll do the same once I get around to trying it myself.

:thumbup:

That's what I thought, until I realize that we probably pay more for regular ink!

Think about it. We buy a 30ml bottle of ink for about $12.50 CDN (J. Herbin). And 1L of this glow-in-the-dark ink contains 33.333x more ink than a 30ml bottle.

So, $12.50 x 33.333 = $416.66! :yikes:

So this ink is around 4x cheaper than regular ink!

DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

That's what I thought, until I realize that we probably pay more for regular ink!

Think about it. We buy a 30ml bottle of ink for about $12.50 CDN (J. Herbin). And 1L of this glow-in-the-dark ink contains 33.333x more ink than a 30ml bottle.

So, $12.50 x 33.333 = $416.66! :yikes:

So this ink is around 4x cheaper than regular ink!

but they only sell it in bulk, and i dont think id ever use that much of it.

So, jbb - we're all waiting with bated breath to hear how your GITD experiment turned out. Can you take a picture?

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

What about sending off a request to Noodler's? He seems to be into the interesting stuff; if we all ask for it, maybe a range of nice colorful inks could come from this.

I did some looking around online, and it seems that people who make their inkjet printers spit out glowing pages microwave an ink-and-powder mixture to get the two to bond. Depends on how chemically stable the ink is, I suppose.

I'm eager to see photos as well. =)

So far all my tests have failed, no-go on the glow, ya know.

Even using 2 micron powder, I just don't have the proper binder.

I tried using Noodler's Blue Ghost "invisible" ink and while it did brighten the Blue Ghost under UV, even glowed in places in the dark, it was too inconsistent.

I think it's partially because Noodler's Blue Ghost, like many Noodler's inks, reacts with the paper and doesn't just lay down a film over top as do some inks.

I had trouble finding a binder to create a glow-in-the-dark paint too, never have found just the right binder to use the powders in a paint for reluming watch hands and dial markers.

I have gotten something to kind of, sort of work. It's a pearl white ink that can only be use on dark paper.... and, of course, only with a dip pen. I'll try to photograph it tonight. It's terribly fussy to write with. Still, it was fun last night because when I turned out all the lights in my office I had several little glass dishes of test-ink and one letter I'd written glowing.

Edited by jbb

Wish I had some "Whiteness of the Whale" to try mixing with.

I tried dark inks and no chance, still playing with other combinations of thins to see what I get.

I was hoping that despite the dark ink the particles laying on the paper or in the grain would still shine; notta.

If not for the dip-pens I got recently, I wouldn't have so much as attempted this.

Back at it, going to try some alternative binders to see what happens.

I know what you mean about the glowy office.

I had some powder in a Petri dish on my nightstand, sitting under my black light for testing, accidentally knocked it over.

Now I have glow dust in the caned nightstand and all over other things and ever time I fire up my Bankers' lamp with UV bulb my nightstand and carpet glow for hours.

:lol:

I had trouble finding a binder to create a glow-in-the-dark paint too, never have found just the right binder to use the powders in a paint for reluming watch hands and dial markers.

For a paint, acrylic painting medium (sold as exactly that in art departments of craft stores like A.C. Moore and Hobby Lobby) should work, but don't even think about putting it in a pen. For a pen, a very tiny amount of gum arabic -- maybe around 1% -- should work as a binder, and shouldn't permanently clog a pen (I'm pretty sure it's the binder used in the fountain pen safe carbon particle inks, like Fount India, Kiwaguro, and Nano Carbon).

Does not always write loving messages.

Does not always foot up columns correctly.

Does not always sign big checks.

Slightly off topic, but from the link: glow in the dark tattoo inks? The mind, it boggles.

Last year, Nathan told me he had developed such an ink but couldn't find a market.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde