Retro 51 Warranty Service

Merrib

I have purchased numerous Retro 51 FP.s, RB,s And Pencils over the last few years

and I thought that Retro 51 was a good company and they would stand behind their

products but alas they don't. Within the last two month's I purchased one of their

Camo RB's with the yellow ribbon pocket clip and this clip has become loose and wiggles

two the tune of a quarter of an Inch way. I contacted Retro 51 service and they said that

they can repair the problem at my cost. Remember it is only two months old. So much for

product integrity and warranty.

At present I have these Retro 51 Products:

Script Master I Jade Roller BAll

White Pearl Script Master II FP

Blueberry Script Master II FP

Red Lacquer Tornado FP

Red Lacquer Roller Ball

Copper Roller Ball

Silver Rollerball

Sivler Pencil

Harley Davidson Orange Flame Roller Ball (X2)

Harley Davidson New Type Flame Roller Ball

OldType Fountain Pen

And Old Type Clic Top Roller Ball.

All I can say is that Retro 51 Has made it to the top of my "DO NOT PURCHASE" Pens.

It appears that Retro 51 is playing to the tune of their own band and that does not bode well for

it's customers. It's just another company wrapped up in their own little world and customers are

note even thought of.

Do much for my probles. Has anyone else experienced any problems with Retro 51.

This is one "UNHAPPY" Customer.

Bob

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OneRiotOneRanger

• DeScribe

• DSMN

• Yuki Onitsura

Sorry to hear of your problem. I was thinking of getting a Retro 51 fp - guess I won't be adding that make to my roster.

I have purchased numerous Retro 51 FP.s, RB,s And Pencils over the last few years

and I thought that Retro 51 was a good company and they would stand behind their

products but alas they don't. Within the last two month's I purchased one of their

Camo RB's with the yellow ribbon pocket clip and this clip has become loose and wiggles

two the tune of a quarter of an Inch way. I contacted Retro 51 service and they said that

they can repair the problem at my cost. Remember it is only two months old. So much for

product integrity and warranty.

At present I have these Retro 51 Products:

Script Master I Jade Roller BAll

White Pearl Script Master II FP

Blueberry Script Master II FP

Red Lacquer Tornado FP

Red Lacquer Roller Ball

Copper Roller Ball

Silver Rollerball

Sivler Pencil

Harley Davidson Orange Flame Roller Ball (X2)

Harley Davidson New Type Flame Roller Ball

OldType Fountain Pen

And Old Type Clic Top Roller Ball.

All I can say is that Retro 51 Has made it to the top of my "DO NOT PURCHASE" Pens.

It appears that Retro 51 is playing to the tune of their own band and that does not bode well for

it's customers. It's just another company wrapped up in their own little world and customers are

note even thought of.

Do much for my probles. Has anyone else experienced any problems with Retro 51.

This is one "UNHAPPY" Customer.

Bob

Bob -

At one point, I had a collection which probably contained 200 Retro 51 pens. I also happen to live not far from their HQ in Richardson TX, and have a background in marketing. I put some thoughts together, and was given an hour to pitch them to George Kartsotis, Retro's CEO. I only got an hour because, after me, he was meeting with some folks from a car magazine, which was much more important to him than my thoughts about how he could connect with his customers: a good web site, newsletters, show presences, etc. Long story short, he had no interest in my ideas. What he sells is inexpensively made, and, from his perspective, disposable. So, one should have no expectations about anything being made right by these folks - it is not part of their economic model. Sorry.

• 4 weeks later...

That's really sad. I really liked the way the Retro 51 Double 8 felt but if they don't even offer a warranty? Wow. Thank you for the post to let others know.

Does TX consumer law not require that sellers of new products offer a warranty?

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

But is this only a Retro 51 problem? I have experience sending a pen made by a reputable company for repair. A couple of pens were returned without repair and the following reasons were gave:-

(a) Ran out of spares;

(B) Not a manufacturer's defect (I guess it was my fault when I did not check the pen thoroughly before purchasing it); and

© Beyond warranty period.

Out of 6 pens I sent, only 2 were repaired and I was charged with a big bill for some small plastic parts. :headsmack: I was subsequently told by my friend to read the fine prints in the warranty booklet. It comes to my realisation that warranty doesn't mean you are covered from head to toe, it only means you are covered at areas which is unlikely to give problems during the entire period of coverage. :( On the other hand, I also have had good experience with pen companies who out of their own good will did repair works on my pen without even asking for my warranty booklet (I must admit I don't have the warranty booklet with me). They even waived off the repair fee when I am prepared to pay them. :thumbup: I must say these are the people who really help to build the reputation of the company and ensure customer loyalty to the brand. :)

Other pens available for sale:

Pelikan : Keep a watchout here, M805 FPs, M400 and M405 FPs,

Compared to a recent post about the slipshod customer service at CS , your experience is fairly tame. I sometimes think that companies forget just how valuable to them good customer service can be.

Yuki

http://i54.tinypic.com/16jj9fb.jpg

Follow me on twitter! @crypticjunky

~And the words, they're everything and nothing. I want to search for her in the offhand remarks.~

But is this only a Retro 51 problem? I have experience sending a pen made by a reputable company for repair. A couple of pens were returned without repair and the following reasons were gave:-

(a) Ran out of spares;

(B) Not a manufacturer's defect (I guess it was my fault when I did not check the pen thoroughly before purchasing it); and

Out of 6 pens I sent, only 2 were repaired and I was charged with a big bill for some small plastic parts. :headsmack: I was subsequently told by my friend to read the fine prints in the warranty booklet. It comes to my realisation that warranty doesn't mean you are covered from head to toe, it only means you are covered at areas which is unlikely to give problems during the entire period of coverage. :( On the other hand, I also have had good experience with pen companies who out of their own good will did repair works on my pen without even asking for my warranty booklet (I must admit I don't have the warranty booklet with me). They even waived off the repair fee when I am prepared to pay them. :thumbup: I must say these are the people who really help to build the reputation of the company and ensure customer loyalty to the brand. :)

Are you willing to name names ? I am willing to pay a little more for better customer service, so I'm interested in the company from your concluding sentence above.

(a) Ran out of spares;

Are you willing to name names ? I am willing to pay a little more for better customer service, so I'm interested in the company from your concluding sentence above.

Good customer service: lots of people lots of times about Pelikan (Chartpak), and I personally have experienced prompt friendly service from Visconti. Depending upon where you're located, there are lots of folks who perform repair services, either full- or part-time, and many do excellent work.

I don't think it is nice for me to name names here. But if you PM me privately, I will be able to share more with you. Anyway, my experience is in Singapore. Hence, it may not be applicable to you if you are based in other countries. On the other hand, though I have not deal with Chartpak, I have constantly heard that Abi from Chartpak gives very professional services to distressed Pelikan owners. :)

Other pens available for sale:

Pelikan : Keep a watchout here, M805 FPs, M400 and M405 FPs,

Once upon a time, when I was a dealer for Retro 51, they just replaced pens with no questions asked (unless it looked like the dog chewed on it!). Unfortunately, just another sign of the times!

DOC

PS--I remember when Montblanc (thru Kohinoor) didn't charge for warranty repairs...those were the days!

I dont know the brand and have never used a Retro 51, so a genuine question.

What are the benefits of buying a Retro 51?

Are there benefits as compared to a restored Parker 51, for example.

I dont know the brand and have never used a Retro 51, so a genuine question.

What are the benefits of buying a Retro 51?

Are there benefits as compared to a restored Parker 51, for example.

Hi Arthur,

I own a few Retro 51 pens myself (and no problems with them so far---keeping fingers crossed! :) ) and there is no relation to the Parker 51 pen. Retro 51 is just the name of a modern pen company that produces capless rollerballs, fountain pens, pencils, ballpoints, desk accessories, etc.

Website here: http://www.retro51.com